Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 03:00 PM

19 posts, read 74,845 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I just came across this site and plan on doing some research reading through some of the threads here, but thought I could post a question to jump start my search.

I am looking at a possible move and am looking for some great towns to consider moving to within an hour drive of Trenton, NJ. Safety is number one as I will be away from home sometimes for a week at a time. My wife stays home with our two year old and we are expecting another little one in soon, so schools are also very important. I was halfway thinking about PA because I have heard taxes are lower. Going to start out renting and then probably buying a house within a year. Probably looking in the 300-400k for a 4 bed 2 bath house. I would ideally like to rent in the the same town/area I plan on purchasing.

Any suggestions on some nice areas with great schools and not too expensive houses????

Thanks in Advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 03:55 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,952,723 times
In NJ I'd start with Hopewell/Pennington, Montgomery, South Brunswick, Robbinsville. All are safe, good school districts. Looking south of Trenton, Chesterfield is nice.

On the PA side of the river, the only town I really like is Newtown, although it's not much cheaper than the towns I named. Be careful with any commute into PA, it can take a lot longer during rush hour than it looks on a map.

Honestly, your budget is kind of low though for a single family. You'll definitely be more up by 400 or more than 300. 300 is a townhouse in any of the town I mentioned.

Good luck with your move HTH

Old 07-23-2009, 04:31 PM

1,289 posts, read 6,096,057 times
Schools, safe, and in your price range, I would recommend the following towns:

East Brunswick (1 Hour Away)
Great school system, beautiful town, and offers everything within the town. Close to all major highways as well (Route 18, Route 1, Route 130, NJ Turnpike).

South Brunswick/Princeton Junction (15-30 Minutes Away)
Great schools, just like East Brunswick in comparison. Larger town with a more open feel as things are a bit more spread out. Town as well has everything but things can be a little away from residences. Also lots tend to be a bit larger here.

Edison/Metuchen (1 Hour Away)
More city like feel out of the four towns as Route 1 runs through the majority of it and centrally located. Great schools as well. I would not say they are as good as EB or SB but close. EVERYTHING is available in this town.

Monroe (45 Minutes to an hour)
Want great schools and OPEN SPACE? This is the town for you. Not uncommon for people to have acres of land with their homesites. Problem with this town is if you are not into large amounts of open space, you will not like it.

Hope this helps a little bit. If you need anymore help, don't hesitate to ask or PM me.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 07-24-2009, 05:19 PM

19 posts, read 74,845 times
Thanks for the replies! I'll take a look at the suggested areas

Old 07-24-2009, 10:44 PM

17 posts, read 86,407 times
You might want to take a look at Jackson or Howell. Both towns offer easy access to Trenton via Interstate 195.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:45 PM

3 posts, read 20,248 times
Hamilton Township is the nearest suburb of Trenton, and it's a safe, family friendly town with lots of houses in your price range.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:59 PM

86 posts, read 329,181 times
Lambertville is a half hour north of Trenton on Rte. 29 and is very nice and safe. New Hope, PA is across a small bridge from Lambertville and is also nice. You might be able to find a small place in one of those towns.

Old 07-25-2009, 07:56 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,555,533 times
Try Cherry Hill, Collingswood, Haddon Township, Mount Laurel, and Haddonfield.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:19 PM

668 posts, read 470,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyshoes View Post
In NJ I'd start with Hopewell/Pennington, Montgomery, South Brunswick, Robbinsville. All are safe, good school districts. Looking south of Trenton, Chesterfield is nice.

On the PA side of the river, the only town I really like is Newtown, although it's not much cheaper than the towns I named. Be careful with any commute into PA, it can take a lot longer during rush hour than it looks on a map.

Honestly, your budget is kind of low though for a single family. You'll definitely be more up by 400 or more than 300. 300 is a townhouse in any of the town I mentioned.

Good luck with your move HTH

Actually, with that budget/price in mind, they can probably find something in Hamilton Township, which is just south of Trenton...

Old 07-28-2009, 06:09 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
for fair taxes, nice homes in your price and great schools look into Cinnaminson. About 40 minutes from Trenton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey