U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 05:13 PM

22 posts, read 44,112 times
Default Down-to-Earth Bergen County Town

I've been reading several posts and am a bit confused about which Bergen County town suits us best. My husband and I are looking to purchase our first home within this next year and are looking for a nice, friendly, down-to-earth Bergen County town but can't figure out which one is best. So many people have mentioned how snobby some of the people can be in many of the towns and that is totally not us. Our combined income is $150-$160k and we have two young daughters. We are very down-to-earth and also, my husband is Indian (but grew up here) and I am white so a bit of diversity is nice as well. We are also looking to buy in a town with an easy commute to Jersey City. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 05:20 PM

138 posts, read 292,692 times
There are many towns in the Southeast Bergen County section that could suit you. What's your price range? I could give you a good list of towns to look in if you mentioned your budget.

Old 02-28-2009, 05:31 PM

We're hoping to stay under $600,000.

Old 02-28-2009, 05:57 PM

2,672 posts, read 4,163,986 times
That's easy. Rutherford.

Old 02-28-2009, 06:13 PM

1,395 posts, read 1,956,941 times
given all your info, I'd recommend Hasbrouck Heights or Secaucus...

Old 02-28-2009, 06:32 PM

Hasbrouck Heights, Rutherford, North Arlington, Wood Ridge, Leonia, New Milford, River Edge, Leonia. New Milford and River Edge are a bit further but really great towns with excellent school systems as well. Secaucus is in Hudson County. Not all that attractive, but that's just my .02.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:26 AM

Right now we seem to like Rutherford, River Edge and possibly Leonia. I don't know much about Hasbrouk Heights or Wood Ridge. We have also thought about Paramus. Neither of us want a really long commute. We're also very realistic with home prices. We don't want to go beyond what we can really afford.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:42 AM

rlss, the market is in the shape it's in mostly because people DID go beyond what they could really afford. One of the worst situations you can get yourself into is becoming 'house poor.' You and your family deserve vacations and an occasional treat, be that whatever it is. Paramus is an excellent town and the taxes are dirt cheap (by NJ standards).

Continue to build your down payment as you do your research. I've seen and had offers not accepted due to small down payment or competing offers coming in with more (with an identical offer price). Also, police your credit. Lenders are exceptionally skittish now and your high FICO score will go a long way to getting the best interest rate, or even getting a mortgage at all for that matter.

Enjoy your Sunday!

Old 03-01-2009, 08:57 AM

825 posts, read 1,856,739 times
anywhere below Paramus is fine, just about.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:11 PM

Thank you all for your advice. We just want to pick the right town for our family and I didn't grow up in NJ so I'm not so knowledgeable about the various towns and my husband grew up in Hudson County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey