U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-02-2009, 01:02 PM
 
Location: new jersey
315 posts, read 600,238 times
Reputation: 291
if people want to voice an opinion, and you disagree, then you have a right to debate them. that starts a discussion and then everyone can join. isn't that the purpose of this forum? to discuss, make observations, learn a little, teach a little? i would hope if i have a view of an area and it's not correct, someone would give me a good reason to change my view.
just my opinion. you don't have to agree...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-02-2009, 01:20 PM
 
537 posts, read 424,510 times
Reputation: 388
Opinions are fine - everybody's got 'em.

I've just never been a fan of those holier-than-thou types who consistently push their misguided (and often incorrect) streotypes and knee-jerk reactions as gospel fact, rather than the opinon they truly have.

Case in point - I was at a middle school soccer game a few years ago, between the town I grew up in (and was still coaching many of the kids in soccer) - Team A - and the town I was (and still am) living in - Team B. I knew most of the parents on my 'alumni' town team (Team A), and stood near them during the game - just watching the kids I knew, not cheering.

Youth sports being what it is, there was a call on the field that Team B's parents disagreed with, loudly. One of the parents from team A got annoyed at their reaction, and ended his comments with "go back to your trailer parks - trash."

I called him on the last comment, asking if he realized I lived there now, and he said "yeah, but you grew up here; you're not one of them." So, now annoyed, I replied that my wife was born and raised there, as was her brother, my in-laws lived there for 40 years, etc., and asked if they were "trash." He stammered "no, but..." and embarrassed by being called out in front of other people, he walked away. I didn't raise my voice, but I did speak directly to him, firmly.

There are no trailer parks in my town, Town A AND B have similar flood issues and, ironically, this parent lived in what would be considered the 'poor' section of town, and would probably elicit the same reaction (if one wanted to do so) from half of the people in his own community, based upon perception.

My point is - opinions are fine, but broad brush strokes, and overtly exagerrated streotypes rarely lead to civil 'discussions' in a place like this. The one making the comment will rarley, if ever, be dissuaded from changing their opinion ("learn a little, teach a little"), and more likely wil begin a flame war to support their claims.

Those rarely end well, and usually only when the mod locks the thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2009, 03:24 PM
 
Location: NJ
383 posts, read 465,332 times
Reputation: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesnj View Post
Why are so many people quick to make judgement on a town when they don't live that particular town?

Somebody please help me to figure this one out.
....because everyone is entitled to their opinion (in theory).

If you disagree on anything that is said, your are free to argue your point of view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2009, 04:13 PM
 
3,202 posts, read 5,839,557 times
Reputation: 1888
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesnj View Post
Why are so many people quick to make judgement on a town when they don't live that particular town?

Somebody please help me to figure this one out.
Because every town is a run-down, trashy, slum ghetto compared to mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2009, 08:32 PM
 
393 posts, read 664,616 times
Reputation: 104
OP~

Statistics on crime, failing schools, are not opinions...

Best~ to everyone on your block !

Sligo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2009, 11:13 PM
 
9,681 posts, read 8,207,922 times
Reputation: 4107
Quote:
Originally Posted by zas View Post
yes when you don't live there, pass through, visiting is not the same as living there
True.

However, I've never been to the moon but I could probably tell you quite a bit about it.

CD might not be the place for you if you can't handle peoples opinions about places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2009, 12:12 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
2,442 posts, read 2,974,492 times
Reputation: 1871
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannybannany View Post
I'm sorry but last time I checked, we have the right to free speech. Why does one care? If you like your town...great! Enjoy it!

I will voice my opinion about a town if asked though...sorry, off you go!

Shanny
That was the most absurd justification I've ever heard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2009, 05:52 AM
 
Location: Stewartsville, NJ
7,577 posts, read 14,231,826 times
Reputation: 1174
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
okey dokey then. are you serious?
I drove through Newark once... it sure is a beautiful city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2009, 05:57 AM
 
1,308 posts, read 2,967,700 times
Reputation: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
I drove through Newark once... it sure is a beautiful city
Lol Wiley that was good............actually I was thinking of buying a getaway home in Irvington, heard there is alot of action!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2009, 06:39 AM
 
6,746 posts, read 7,342,685 times
Reputation: 7871
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
Because every town is a run-down, trashy, slum ghetto compared to mine.
OK, this gets my vote for best answer. I'm not really sure that I get a vote because I live in the southern, scary, Piney section of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top