U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 09:23 AM

7 posts, read 18,030 times
Default How is Butler, NJ in morris county?

Is it being revitalized? I know I heard they were doing more to bring it back around main street. Are more younger couples moving there to freshen up the older homes? This is usually what is needed to get an area to "brighten" back up again...

I am looking for a good first home that I dont have to move out of for 6 or 7 years, so while personally am only concerned with elementary schools, I think the school system as a whole is important for resale as well.

I hope everything as a whole is getting better, but I did read some posts from last year about some "riff raff" types moving.
Any help would be apprecated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 10:02 AM

7,646 posts, read 10,695,944 times
I was last in Butler in Summer of 2008, visiting some friends. I had dinner at a restaurant right next to the main street. It looked old, and vacant. It used to be a blue collar enclave, surrounded by white collar towns. Now I am not so sure what it is. My friends live in Bloomingdale. They've told me in the last 15 years migrant workers from Mexico and Guatemala have used that street, along with Hamburg Tpke, as depots for day labor offerings.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:08 AM

4,887 posts, read 3,915,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I was last in Butler in Summer of 2008, visiting some friends. I had dinner at a restaurant right next to the main street. It looked old, and vacant. It used to be a blue collar enclave, surrounded by white collar towns. Now I am not so sure what it is. My friends live in Bloomingdale. They've told me in the last 15 years migrant workers from Mexico and Guatemala have used that street, along with Hamburg Tpke, as depots for day labor offerings.
OUCH......

That certainly can't help the town. Just my two cents - and I know nothing about Butler, so, sorry, OP.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:16 AM

1,308 posts, read 2,958,738 times
Butler is filled with mexicans hangin on the streets for jobs, the houses are all older they put town homes in, and router 23 is always jammed because of all the new stores in Riverdale other than that its the same as it always was. Taxes are high there and its congested I personally dont care for it, can you tell

Old 03-07-2009, 09:56 AM

Is this for real? or being blown out of proportion.
I was thinking to call the police department to see if they are doing anything about it or if it is indeed true and maybe they "can't" do anything.

It seems most of these immigrants are coming from bloomingdale, but still. I cant imagine they can be allowed to just loiter.

Anyone know if they are reinvesting in fixing up main street?

Old 03-07-2009, 02:29 PM

3,200 posts, read 5,814,488 times
Add me to the list of people who don't care for Butler. Seems to be on a downswing from a casual observer prospective....

Old 03-07-2009, 03:24 PM

268 posts, read 487,414 times
The comments about the Mexicans hanging on main street looking for work are 100% true.

Old 03-07-2009, 04:31 PM

138 posts, read 292,486 times
There are few things worse than groups of men hanging out on street corners of a town, waiting to be picked up by contractors. It brings down the entire town. As a woman, it's intimidating and awkward to have to walk by them. I lived in Palisades Park until 2005 and hated the sight of them. No regrets about the strong statement either. As taxpayers of any town, we have the right to walk about minding our business without feeling uncomfortable and unsafe. It's horrible.

To the OP, you should drive around any area you're interested in on your own. Don't leave matters up to posters on a bulletin board. See for yourself. Good luck!

Old 03-07-2009, 05:04 PM

825 posts, read 1,855,595 times
How is Butler, NJ in morris county...

it sucks.

it's just not a very nice place to be. it's got a horrible name. it's a long-dead blue collar town. just don't go there, unless you wanna see it for yourself. it's really depressing though.

i don't know about the Mexicans lining up for work in butler, but they do that on Morris Ave in Morristown as well. right across the street from BK. so when I'm eating my whopper, I see these Latin folks lining up across the street.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:19 AM

thanks for the replies. i found someone who lives there who says things are a little better but still have these issues. They tend to avoid that area she said. She did note , though, that there isnt much crime still.
I think im going to try to avoid it. thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey