U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-09-2009, 11:44 PM
 
Location: Texas
1,718 posts, read 1,839,288 times
Reputation: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
Why ?......how about honor ? Integrity ? Professionalism ? Maybe throw in a little compassion for someone struggling for a better life for themselves and their family....just to name a few reasons.
I wish all mortgage brokers were honest, too.

But in the end you have to protect yourself.

 
Old 03-09-2009, 11:47 PM
 
Location: Texas
1,718 posts, read 1,839,288 times
Reputation: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
Actually I did pre-purchase home inspections for 20 years....over 5000 home inspections.....I moved laterally into radon...I do some testing but mostly I mitigate homes now with excessive radon levels....about 150 a year.
Since radon is a fake problem, not a real one, you're playing the role of a predator on the gullible public. Just the kind of person you decry.

How ironic.
 
Old 03-10-2009, 08:03 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
2,510 posts, read 1,237,122 times
Reputation: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
Since radon is a fake problem, not a real one, you're playing the role of a predator on the gullible public. Just the kind of person you decry.

How ironic.
Fake ? You show your ignorance with that statement. The Federal EPA, Canada, the UK and most of the European nations are all in agreement that radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer behind smoking and have radon programs. What cave do you live in that you think exposure to excessive amounts of radiation is a fake problem ?

Last edited by FlyersFan; 03-10-2009 at 08:16 AM..
 
Old 03-11-2009, 07:36 PM
 
Location: Texas
1,718 posts, read 1,839,288 times
Reputation: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
Fake ? You show your ignorance with that statement. The Federal EPA, Canada, the UK and most of the European nations are all in agreement that radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer behind smoking and have radon programs. What cave do you live in that you think exposure to excessive amounts of radiation is a fake problem ?
Radon is a big problem for uranium miners who are smokers. For homeowners, not so much.

When I moved into a house with an elevated radon reading, I called one of the leaders of a major radon study at the university where I worked at the time. He said the acceptable radon level is set so low that even if you're well above it there is no detectable risk. He further said that he had never seen anything to show that people who live in higher radon areas had any shorter life spans than normal.

But if you have data, I'd be happy to consider changing my mind.
 
Old 03-11-2009, 08:04 PM
 
744 posts, read 838,441 times
Reputation: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
Radon is a big problem for uranium miners who are smokers. For homeowners, not so much.

When I moved into a house with an elevated radon reading, I called one of the leaders of a major radon study at the university where I worked at the time. He said the acceptable radon level is set so low that even if you're well above it there is no detectable risk. He further said that he had never seen anything to show that people who live in higher radon areas had any shorter life spans than normal.

But if you have data, I'd be happy to consider changing my mind.
"""
Overall, the risk estimates obtained in this study suggest that cumulative radon exposure in the residential environment is significantly associated with lung cancer risk.
"""
Residential Radon Gas Exposure and Lung Cancer: The Iowa Radon Lung Cancer Study -- Field et al. 151 (11): 1091 -- American Journal of Epidemiology

"""
These analyses provide additional evidence that residential radon increases lung cancer risk in the general population.
"""
Wiley InterScience :: Session Cookies

Though I have no expertise/knowledge of this, seems a strange thing for an international conspiracy to trick us though...
 
Old 03-11-2009, 09:10 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
1,395 posts, read 2,009,642 times
Reputation: 278
50 years from now, they're going to tell us that sheetrock caused cancer...
 
Old 03-11-2009, 10:07 PM
 
Location: NJ
383 posts, read 479,653 times
Reputation: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
50 years from now, they're going to tell us that sheetrock caused cancer...
That and stress from paying ever-increasing NJ property taxes probably lops off 10 years...easy.
 
Old 03-12-2009, 02:50 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
2,510 posts, read 1,237,122 times
Reputation: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
Radon is a big problem for uranium miners who are smokers. For homeowners, not so much.

When I moved into a house with an elevated radon reading, I called one of the leaders of a major radon study at the university where I worked at the time. He said the acceptable radon level is set so low that even if you're well above it there is no detectable risk. He further said that he had never seen anything to show that people who live in higher radon areas had any shorter life spans than normal.

But if you have data, I'd be happy to consider changing my mind.
Its an international concern.....sorry but your friend at the university must not have gotten the memo ? Its a long term exposure risk that can and does cause lung cancer......in fact.....according to EPA and international data its the second leading cause of lung cancer behind smoking. Apparently your friend at the university is of the mind that exposure to long term low level radation isn't a problem but the bottom line is that exposure to any radiation is a concern.....when you get an X-ray at the dentists office have you noticed they make you wear a lead lined jacket.....and the nurse runs out of the room when they take the X-ray....and thats just ONE X-ray......what do you think happens when your exposed to long term low level radiation over a period of years......if your not sure take a look at the effects on the people of Hiroshima or Nagasaki......the only difference is radon is a gas and only affects the lungs. If you or your university friend still feel its not a problem perhaps you might like to relay that to some of the many adults and children that had never smoked a day in their lives but came down with lung cancer in some of the houses I have mitigated......I'm sure that despite having lung cancer they will be greatly relieved to know that you feel its not a problem !!! Ultimately your gambling with your health and the health of your family based upon advice from an individual that offers no recognized EPA or DEP credentials concerning radon....only his "views" on it. If your living in a house with an elevated radon reading and haven't taken steps to lower it your a fool !!!

Last edited by FlyersFan; 03-12-2009 at 03:20 PM..
 
Old 03-12-2009, 06:14 PM
 
Location: Texas
1,718 posts, read 1,839,288 times
Reputation: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
Its an international concern.....sorry but your friend at the university must not have gotten the memo ? Its a long term exposure risk that can and does cause lung cancer......in fact.....according to EPA and international data its the second leading cause of lung cancer behind smoking. Apparently your friend at the university is of the mind that exposure to long term low level radation isn't a problem but the bottom line is that exposure to any radiation is a concern.....when you get an X-ray at the dentists office have you noticed they make you wear a lead lined jacket.....and the nurse runs out of the room when they take the X-ray....and thats just ONE X-ray......what do you think happens when your exposed to long term low level radiation over a period of years......if your not sure take a look at the effects on the people of Hiroshima or Nagasaki......the only difference is radon is a gas and only affects the lungs. If you or your university friend still feel its not a problem perhaps you might like to relay that to some of the many adults and children that had never smoked a day in their lives but came down with lung cancer in some of the houses I have mitigated......I'm sure that despite having lung cancer they will be greatly relieved to know that you feel its not a problem !!! Ultimately your gambling with your health and the health of your family based upon advice from an individual that offers no recognized EPA or DEP credentials concerning radon....only his "views" on it. If your living in a house with an elevated radon reading and haven't taken steps to lower it your a fool !!!
That wasn't data.
 
Old 03-12-2009, 06:44 PM
 
Location: Texas
1,718 posts, read 1,839,288 times
Reputation: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholden View Post
"""
Overall, the risk estimates obtained in this study suggest that cumulative radon exposure in the residential environment is significantly associated with lung cancer risk.
"""
Residential Radon Gas Exposure and Lung Cancer: The Iowa Radon Lung Cancer Study -- Field et al. 151 (11): 1091 -- American Journal of Epidemiology
The odds ratio is pretty low and the 95% CIs are extremely wide. The association is positive but weak.

Quote:
These analyses provide additional evidence that residential radon increases lung cancer risk in the general population.
"""
Wiley InterScience :: Session Cookies
This is one of these extrapolations from serious radon risk (underground miners) downward to residential levels. Studies like this are rather suspect because they don't really have much to say about why the relationship should track all the way from very high levels down to residential levels.

Bottom line: don't become an undergound miner, and don't smoke. The rest of the risk is not very significant.

But thanks for the references. What I think doesn't matter, because the government has already decreed that there will be a radon remediation industry no matter whether the risk is significant or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top