Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2007, 09:29 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,203,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjules21 View Post
englewood is def. not unsafe just because a township or small city has a decent amount of blacks or hispanics doesn't make it unsafe. Thats just ignorant people telling you to be careful. (they prob. never knew a black person or grew up around any person of color) The majority of the town is wealthy jews and caucasians. The problem is its extremely seggragated and the town doesnt care about anyone who makes less than 80,000 dollars a year. it is safe
the west side of town is not exactly safe, it's not newark but it's not the cliffs either, if possible stay away from there
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 11:26 AM

1 posts, read 23,813 times
Default so much better

I grew up in Englewood and yes it was bad in early 90s late 80s but things have changed real estate is crazy and alot of wealthy people live there I wasn't that fortunate but the fact that i saw what was on the other side of town made who I am a very successful young man. It's all about who you hang around with. I left for ahwile for business, now I'm back and looking to bye a home. Things are real good in Englewood and best of all it's diverse

Old 10-19-2007, 12:22 PM

1,215 posts, read 3,289,963 times
Englewood is a great town. I've had offices there, lived there, played there, etc. Many people collapse Englewood -- downtown, the East Hill, and the parts of the town where you are considering moving to -- with West Englewood and the parts where you are certainly not considering moving to.

Looking at crime statisitics for Englewood, or the racial break down, all of that is a fallacious exercise and arguement. You will have no problem walking around -- at night -- in downtown Englewood, or in other parts of the city. Not only is it safe, but it's beautiful and enjoyable -- shopping, restaurants, cafes, and so on. It's like confusing Riverdale with Fort Apache -- just because they are both "the Bronx". Don't think they are building $750k and $1m condos, townhouses, etc. in the middle of low income, Sect. 8, subsidized housing projects.

Another part of Englewood -- is it unsafe? Is there crime? Sure, just like many other fantastic cities and towns. You are not living there and there is nothing to worry about. You are not going to walk around in that area. There's no shopping in that area, no restaurants, no attractions, etc.

Don't get caught up in the threatrical and melodramatic myopic thinking. There's a couple of hotels there. Go to Englewood -- spend some time there, drive around, walk around, learn about the area and you'll get a chance to see what it's really like. There aren't any statistics that will give you that experience.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:49 PM

1 posts, read 23,801 times
Default Englewood getting better or worse?

If I read the blogs on this topic prior to... I probably would not have moved to Englewood. However I did, eleven years ago. Not only did I move to Englewood I purchased a private home here. I grew up in "Rich Teaneck" from the 1960's on. Englewood was not the place to be I have to admit. All I can say is I'm glad I purchased when I did. Englewood has a lot of character. I see many changes, good changes. Some of it fluff ie: Towne Center apartments. (a mess) Still a decent city to live in none the less. A couple of my friends have moved to Englewood from around the country and they love it too. I do like the convienence of Shop Rite and the shops on the "Ave" . When friends come to town we usually dine and drink in town and party in NYC. Englewood has it's issues without a doubt. It would be better if we had a more visible police presence, more programs to occupy the teens, better public schools and less government corruption. Englewood, like anywhere else is what you make it.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:14 PM

1 posts, read 23,538 times
Thumbs up Charming City

I grew up in Englewood during the 90's-early 00's in the 4th ward (considered the worst part of the city), graduated from the public school system, and went to a great university. I was never fearful living in Englewood and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I think a lot of people have misconceptions about the city because of its diverse population unlike many other municipalities in Bergen County. As the city continues to experience gentrification, the poorer people will continue to move out and only those who could afford the skyrocketing housing prices, property taxes, etc. could move in or afford to stay. The city has also gotten a lot of upscale restaurants and higher end department stores.

As far as the public school system is concerned, it needs to reflect the community's ethnically diverse population. The well to do will continue to send their children to the area's exclusive private schools while the public schools continue to struggle. Although a lot has been done to remedy the public school system, I am not sure the entire city throws their support behind making the public school system on par with neighboring public school systems. Many of Englewood's wealthy Jews send their children to Jewish schools and many of the other wealthy residents send their children to the East Hill's private schools which are closer to their homes. Therefore, the public schools are left for "everyone else" to attend who can't afford to go anywhere else.

The city really is not as dangerous as people make it out to be. Anyone can walk down Palisade Ave., shop, go to a restaurant, and feel safe. That is one the place where you will see everyone from Englewood (all races, rich, poor, and in between) enjoying what the city has to offer.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:50 AM

10 posts, read 91,675 times
I have been living in Englewood since August of 2007 from Battery Park NYC and love it here. My partner and I are planning to buy a house on West Hudson Ave close to Tenalfy. What we both like about Englewood is that its an older city that has great bones and an easy commute to NY. It has diversity if you are looking for Utah its not for you and if you are looking for Hoboken its not for you. The downtown area is what I call Americana cute stores and has people walking at night which to me is a good sign.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:12 PM

18,464 posts, read 15,242,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjules21 View Post
) The majority of the town is wealthy jews and caucasians.
Most jews ARE caucasians. At least in this country.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:44 AM

4 posts, read 51,335 times
Englewood is definitely changing. I have a huge family history in Englewood, and there is most certainly something special about the city. Although Englewood surely has a less attractive part of it, that particular side (West Side) is currently being built up with expensive condos and townhomes, causing the poorer residents to leave, and the wealthier and educated to move in or remain. Like every city, you have your rich and poor and middle incomers. Look at NYC, surely it's larger than Englewood, but there you have wealthy residents and homeless people, just like any other city in this country. For the most part, Englewood residents are extremely educated. There's a lot of old-money in the town, people who've been here for years and years. The city has much to offer, with a great commute, an incredible downtown (very similar to ridgewood), vast diversity, a gorgeous library, and several schools to choose from. The public high school has gotten somewhat better, due to the addition of the academies. However, the private exclusive schools are where I'd recommend if you have kids. Dwight Englewood and Elizabeth Morrow are great schools, and many of them have Ivy-bound graduates. Overrall, Englewood is a very affluent city, with old homes with character, to new condos and townhomes, with a lovely city center with theatres, restaraunts, great shopping, etc. I love this town, and it reminds me of a "Diverse, old-hollywood version of Ridgewood." If you want a city/town with a lot of character, with an educated group of people, and great commutes to NYC and so forth, this is definitely the pick. I know it is for me.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:55 PM

191 posts, read 591,094 times
i love englewood. when my husband and i first left the city, englewood would've been a wonderful substitute - it's so stroll-able. great fashionable boutiques, eating options, grocery stores. if you live downtown, you don't need a car! i think it's a great place to live if you don't have kids. unfortunately, the public schools aren't very good. if you can afford private, elisabeth morrow sounds like an amazing school. englewood is very much city life in the suburbs. i wish i had known this sooner, i would've lived there for a few years before kids.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:41 AM

4 posts, read 51,335 times
Sweetpotato, Englewood is actually a very great place to raise a family. Areas such as the affordable Hudson Avenue to the higher end Booth Avenue and East Hill areas are absolutely grgeous and pristine, have great older homes with great bones, great private school institutions, and of course the downtwon. Like you said, Englewood is like life in the city in the suburbs. Very well said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey