U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 11:51 AM

13 posts, read 99,526 times
Default Englewood, NJ...getting better or worse?

I've been looking for a place to buy a condo, and I've recently discovered Englewood, NJ. It seems like a nice place overall, but I do understand that certain parts are unsafe or have higher crime. My question is over the past 10 years or even 5 years, has the city been getting better, worse, or the same overall? I'd love to hear from folks who are familiar with Englewood. I've been hearing stories of Montclair on the decline for years, and I'm wondering if Englewood might be in the same boat or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2007, 12:35 PM

11,820 posts, read 12,310,958 times
Well, you know, every place is getting worse. I mean that's just life.

I lived one town over from Englewood about ten years ago and it did seem to be on the decline even then. I had a sort of nervous feeling walking around that area, so I didn't go there much. Maybe as an adult alone or with a partner I would have lived there, but when I was apartment-hunting, because I had a son I didn't choose Englewood.

Old 03-21-2007, 12:47 PM

359 posts, read 1,892,623 times
Englewood has never really been that bad. Overall its ok. Its just that there is nothing special about it. And people tend to think that because its mostly black and not rich that it has a high crime rate which is completly untrue.

Old 03-23-2007, 09:03 AM

Thanks for the input. I'm guess from what you guys are saying that the town probably hasn't much. I'm fine with that. As long as the area isn't on the decline; I don't care if it just stays the way it is.

I did talk to someone after I created this post who was somewhat familiar with Englewood. He felt that the area was getting better, and he was basing that on the fact that more and more restaurants are opening in Englewood. Is this the case? Can anyone comment on what's been happening with restaurants in Englewood?

Old 03-23-2007, 11:42 AM

540 posts, read 1,023,603 times
The city of Englewood is absolutely getting better, going through a renaissance in a way. There are many upscale shops and nice restaurants, there is the reopened John Harms Theater (I think it's called the Bergen PAC now). I see more people going out in Englewood than I ever have in years. Plus a correction to the above, there are wealthy areas of Englewood also, many older (and newer) homes that are really beautiful. But to answer your question, I would say it's getting better. But Englewood is a city after all with a lot of people, so there is a higher crime rate.

Old 03-23-2007, 02:18 PM

13 posts, read 52,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJerzyKidUNO View Post
Englewood has never really been that bad. Overall its ok. Its just that there is nothing special about it. And people tend to think that because its mostly black and not rich that it has a high crime rate which is completly untrue.
"mostly black and not rich"??????? All you have to do is drive less then a mile from "bad Englewood" to the East Hill of Englewood to see it's not a poor town...multi million dollar homes of CEO's, Actors, Dr.'s.
Yes, Englewood has an undesirable area but over all I have seen a revitalization of the downtown without question. Englewood is a very diverse town. It's not all poor by any stretch. The major problem with Englewood is not the lower income families it's the corruption. A corrupt state breeds corrupt towns!!!!!!! I didn't grow up in Englewood or NJ for that matter. I am not it's biggest fan but I think there is something special about Englewood. I like its diversity (I grew up in the hamptons ... not very diverse... very sheltered). Over the past year I've been in Englewood restaurants with celebrities on a few occasions. I am not a big celebrity watcher but I don't think celebrities go to places that are not special.
Star sitings is not reason enough to move to Englewood. My point is Englewood does have possitive things to offer. If they could only do something about the public schools.

Old 03-23-2007, 03:08 PM

359 posts, read 1,892,623 times
I never said it didnt have things to offer. Im just saying that its NOT dangerous , but if I was looking was a city with lots to do I wouldn't choose Englewood. And for your information Englewood is mostly black. At 30% African-American is its largest group. Then after is Hispanics. The only city with higher african-american population in the area is Teaneck(40% or so now).

Old 03-24-2007, 12:05 AM

64 posts, read 205,610 times
do any of you even check the stats on city data englewood has the highest black population of any other place in bergen county as far as crime there are a lot of fights but between people who argue between themselves its not like your going to walk down the ave and some one punches you in the face no its not like that

Old 03-24-2007, 06:41 AM

Thanks for input everyone. njchick, I'm glad to hear someone else's opinion mimic my recent conversation with someone else. Englewood sounds like it could be a good fit for me...sort of a urban/suburban mix. As for crime, I'm not that worried. Something like that is all relative compared to where you're coming from. I've been in Hoboken now for 8 years, and Englewood has much lower crime statistics than Hoboken, according to all the online resources out there. (Based on what I've seen, I believe those statistics too.)

Old 07-22-2007, 09:26 PM

8 posts, read 69,152 times
Default umm

englewood is def. not unsafe just because a township or small city has a decent amount of blacks or hispanics doesn't make it unsafe. Thats just ignorant people telling you to be careful. (they prob. never knew a black person or grew up around any person of color) The majority of the town is wealthy jews and caucasians. The problem is its extremely seggragated and the town doesnt care about anyone who makes less than 80,000 dollars a year. it is safe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey