U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 11:02 AM

650 posts, read 1,035,535 times
Why aren't you in this court action with other tenants? I don't know how it got started but you can ask that they be included or added to it. The maintenace guy showing up early, annoying you, asking for you to sign, he will be deliberately messy when he does get in too. is to make you say no to allowing him into your home. That is how they are going to get the you won't allow them to fix it thingpast the judge. It's just something meant to waste time and wear you out. That is how our legal system is being used, attorney's and companies waste time as much as possible to make one party or the other give in.
For your peace of mind, if you don't touch the paint you can't get lead on you. The prescribed method to handle it in most cases is to paint over it, or seal it in. There is no chance of lead poisoning from the rusted sink drain or overflow. The pipes, if they are copper may have had leaded solder used on them, if they are galvanized you're ok. even with that solder the exposure is small. as for the possibility of lead elsewhere, The lead company says things like that in their report to cover themselves and to raise your level of concern to get you to hire them to remove it. Not that I am minimizing it, I think that you should get an education on lead so you aren't taken advantage of by someone with dollar signs in their eyes. The judge will recognize it if you are being vengeful, and hold it against you as they like to keep that for themselves. That peeling paint is not OK lead or not it is unsanitary.
That colum looks like it might be decorative, otherwise the roof should be sagging there. If it begins to sag document it.
Finally you should really think about how much you want to stay there and what you will actually get when you win in court. The judge may order something, but as you have said and seen the managment company will do everything it can to avoid doing anything meaningful.
I don't know what else to say, I understand being in a tough spot and standing your ground on principle and I respect it for what it is and the fact that so few do it anymore. Just look after your self, don't let this take the rest of your life away from you. Try not to spend anymore time than is necessary on it.
Good Luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 09:19 PM

38 posts, read 78,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutleynut View Post
Why aren't you in this court action with other tenants? I don't know how it got started but you can ask that they be included or added to it.
nutleynut, thank you for your support.

THE CASE
This was a case brought by Chatham Hill after I stopped paying because I just got fed up of everything after several months to almost a year of trying to get all the issues resolved. The main focus was on my apt; it would be a different kind of case and a bigger one if other tenants were to join in the way I think you're referring to. That kind is probably about to happen soon. Other tenants did show support through permitting emails and submitting testimonials.

MORE SUPPORT
On that note, it seems someone from the forum or who saw the postings, or another tenant, may have sent the judge letters with a few of my postings. It showed Chatham Hill violated codes and that other tenants were being treated the same. He mentioned during a hearing that he received it. There was no name and the judge took it as disgruntled tenant(s) supporting my position. That was great! Thank you whoever it was.

Quote:
The maintenace guy showing up early, annoying you, asking for you to sign, he will be deliberately messy when he does get in too. is to make you say no to allowing him into your home. That is how they are going to get the you won't allow them to fix it thingpast the judge. It's just something meant to waste time and wear you out. That is how our legal system is being used, attorney's and companies waste time as much as possible to make one party or the other give in.
DEVIOUS
Yes, that is exactly what I thought about the maintenance guy tactic too nutley; good to see somebody also picked up on that. Surely enough, they tried to use it against me at the hearing. They even concocted a letter dated back in November last year, saying that they sent it to me back then about the repairs. Guess what? There was one manager I knew about back then, but the letter was signed with one of those script fonts in the name of some other manager. Unbelieveable. But I am persevering through this and trying my best not to succumb to their under-handed tactics.

Quote:
For your peace of mind, if you don't touch the paint you can't get lead on you. The prescribed method to handle it in most cases is to paint over it, or seal it in. There is no chance of lead poisoning from the rusted sink drain or overflow. The pipes, if they are copper may have had leaded solder used on them, if they are galvanized you're ok. even with that solder the exposure is small. as for the possibility of lead elsewhere, The lead company says things like that in their report to cover themselves and to raise your level of concern to get you to hire them to remove it. Not that I am minimizing it, I think that you should get an education on lead so you aren't taken advantage of by someone with dollar signs in their eyes. The judge will recognize it if you are being vengeful, and hold it against you as they like to keep that for themselves. That peeling paint is not OK lead or not it is unsanitary.

LEAD CONCERN

You're right. I did a little research on the lead in the home and Wipe Out Lead NJ, EPA and Legal Services of New Jersey also mentioned that "scrapping the peeling paint or vaccuming up chips on the floor can spread the lead around". I have expressed to the judge that they should address this, but Chatham Hill seems reluctant. Surprising? Not really because if they start finding lead all over the complex, I think all hell will break loose, with the tenants and Chatham TWP.

I believe clevedark also said the sink would probably not be a lead hazard. Thank you for the heads up on the possible pipe details. I think it's still the old plumbing since construction over 40 years ago. If lead solder, could this mean the exposure may not be so minimal? Cumulative over several years to be a hazard? I don't drink the water from the sinks but water is absorbed through the skin when you take a bath or wash your face and hands.

And yep, the peeling paint is a no-no; it's a code violation according to Dept of Community Affairs and the Bureau of Health and Inspection.

Quote:
That colum looks like it might be decorative, otherwise the roof should be sagging there. If it begins to sag document it.
Finally you should really think about how much you want to stay there and what you will actually get when you win in court. The judge may order something, but as you have said and seen the managment company will do everything it can to avoid doing anything meaningful.
I don't know what else to say, I understand being in a tough spot and standing your ground on principle and I respect it for what it is and the fact that so few do it anymore. Just look after your self, don't let this take the rest of your life away from you. Try not to spend anymore time than is necessary on it.
Good Luck
Yep, someone else did also say that it could be too; Im not sure, but I think it should be taken care of. A NJ inspector told me that they would have to replace it. Oh, and get this... Chatham Hill took the position that since I am not a civil engineer I can't say that the post is a safety issue. WHAAT? Any tenant would voice such a concern if s/he saw something like that. It is their duty to address any safety concern. Even after all this time, they haven't even investigated or fixed the post. Doesn't sound like they care to me.

nutley, I have been thinking and looking for a place. When the case ends, there would be too many unhappy feelings and memories in this place.

Again, appreciate your support and respect; you understand exactly what I am going through. I truly am in a tough position but yes, I am standing my ground because I don't want to be taken advantage. They are getting away with charging high rent, not upkeeping the place as they should and trying to cover up for it. It would not have even gotten to where it is now if they were fair and took care of the problems; tried to work with them during all of last year.

I'm taking it one day at a time.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:34 AM

Exclamation Another tenant - married couple - speaks up!

Seems things are getting worse. Tenants are slowly beginning to speak up. I just came across another's posting. I applaud this guy. He and his wife just moved out and gives details of his experience.

His last words?

"This is a basically a ghetto in a nice neighborhood. I cant believe the township let's it's stand as it. You'd be crazy to rent there."

Dump ..., Not Recommended, Jun 09, 2009, apartment review of Chatham Hill Apartments in Chatham, NJ

The craziness continues. I even saw 2 moving trucks with people moving out this month, and it's only the 2nd week

Old 06-17-2009, 06:48 PM

Thumbs up Victory!

The judge made his decision and I prevailed

The judge reduced the rent that was due over the last 20 months going back to 2007 to what I said was the proper amount all along based on stated facts, and disallowed all the improper fees/rent increases Home Properties tried to get away with. He also found that the apartment was unsightful, uninviting and was indeed in need of repair.

If you stand up for what you believe is right, and not allow yourself to be taken advantage of.. with the law on your side, you will emerge victorious!

Old 07-17-2010, 08:29 PM

1 posts, read 479 times
My husband and I were one of the tenets burnt out of building K. we moved out in Oct of 2009 and when i went to the office to make sure the rent and stuff was squared away they said everything was good. Told them i didn't want anything said 6 months from then of them saying i owed them anything. they refused me anything in writing. Low and behold they filed against us some papers in Jan of 10 and I've been calling and going back and forth with them since March when we got the call. We never got any notification or anything from them, we were blindsided! I called for months and they say they will get back to me and never do now i'm trying to move into another apt in NC and they told me we were denied because of Chatham Hill saying I owe them money! What am i to do??? Pay it or not?? Spend loads of money on a lawyer and take a chance is having to pay them anyways??? Any suggestions??? I need help and I need to move into a bigger place and have this off my record!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey