U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-09-2009, 12:21 PM

136 posts, read 438,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
No way did you have a 40 minute or one hour commute from Watchung to the financial district of Manhattan, unless you were working the night shift and driving in during times with no traffic.

It's simply not possible to do if you're working during the day like most people.

1.5 hours door-to-door, at least.
Precisely...and the notion is even more absurd considering that poster said he/she lived 10-15 minutes away from the train station.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 12:25 PM

1,924 posts, read 2,945,810 times
Living in Holmdel and commuting by ferry is the kind of life I could get used to.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:41 PM

503 posts, read 1,162,457 times
Might as well throw Warren Township into the mix. Most properties are on 1.5 acres and the downtown is building up in a very classy way. Good schools and easy commute to NYC with Rt22 and Rt 78. Lots of new construction, big monster houses with too many rooms for most people! Watchung is also a great town.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:21 PM

383 posts, read 502,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Lots of great choices here. Few will get you Wall Street in an hour.

May I suggest Holmdel and commute by ferry, with your neighbors, to Wall Steet.

There are also some great places within Middletown.

on Holmdel, but I am biased.

However, best case is 1:40 to financial district via train. As for the ferry, you can beat that time but driving to the ferry kills 25 min by itself. 1 hr commute from here isn't possible .

Old 03-09-2009, 10:21 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,790,355 times
Quote:
No - there are no towns that meet that criteria. (Sorry, but someone needs to break it to you.)

Even from the first "inner ring" suburbs with good schools (let's set "great" aside for the moment) that are closest to NYC will leave you with a 75 to 90 minute door-to-door commute to the financial district.

These are towns like Maplewood, South Orange, Cranford, Millburn, Montclair (there are others); basically, the first set of "nice" towns (as people generally consider the term) as you move out from NYC along the NJ Transit train lines. You will find few (if any) 1+ acre lots in these towns, and as I said, the commute to the financial district will be more like an 1.5 hours door-to-door, each way. Pretty much all of those towns have good schools.

As you move farther away from NYC, yes the plots of land will get bigger and you'll find mroe 1+ acre lots, but your commute will grow longer.

The reality is, the commute from pretty much all "nice" suburbs in NYC to the financial district is a drag, and you shouldn't be under any illusion about that. It may be slightly better for towns in West Chester (suburban NY) and CT, along the Metro North train lines, because they'll put you into Grand Central where you can hop on the 4/5 which gets you downtown more rapidly (and trains in/out of Grand Central have fewer delays than those in Penn Station).

Just FYI.

Do a mapquest or google maps->directions from E. Clinton Ave, Tenafly, NJ to WTC, New York, NY. It says 31 minutes driving (without traffic). If the OP is the sort who gets into his office before 8, then I'd bet he could get in in less than an hour. There are plenty of houses with around an acre in the area which are sort of in his price range, and the HS is no.3 in the state.

Here is an example: New Jersey MLS

And, here is one that meets two out of the three criteria (definitely not 1 acre+): http://njmls.com/cf/details.cfm?mls_...2955&id=999999

Old 03-10-2009, 08:27 AM

2,312 posts, read 4,808,568 times
Maybe that's true on the internet, but certainly not true in real life!

Old 03-10-2009, 09:29 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,968,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudent77 View Post
Do a mapquest or google maps->directions from E. Clinton Ave, Tenafly, NJ to WTC, New York, NY. It says 31 minutes driving (without traffic).

Without traffic. Yeah, I think that's between the hours of 2am and 3am.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:41 AM

2,312 posts, read 4,808,568 times
It's very funny. Can you imagine speeding down to the WTC from the Lincoln Tunnel, never hitting a light?

Old 03-10-2009, 10:33 AM

178 posts, read 397,761 times
You could check out the Clinton or Annandale area. It's probably a little further than you wanted but you have the option of getting into NYC by car on 78.
Transbridge coach (just over 1 hr)
Trans-Bridge Lines

or train from High bridge or Annandale New Jersey Transit - Home.

Blue ribbon school district.
Clinton Township School District (http://www.ctsd.k12.nj.us/clintontsd/site/default.asp - broken link)
North Hunterdon High School

Plenty of space, house of all sizes, large lots, very low crime rate, beautiful historic downtown
Welcome to Historic Clinton NJ

The only real downside to living here is diversity (there really isn't much at all), and cost, and it looks like you'll be fine in that department

Old 03-11-2009, 01:35 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,790,355 times
Quote:

Without traffic. Yeah, I think that's between the hours of 2am and 3am.
Hmm..I don't work in NYC, but whenever I've had to go into the city during the day, the westside highway flys, at least to midtown. I'm tempted to try this out on a day off and see how long it would take. Also, while I understand that you are exaggerating about traffic, when I go into the city to socialize at night, I beat 31 mins easily.

From your posts, you generally have knowledge about the Essex county->NYC commute. I wonder if somone who does the Bergen county, 9W->westside commute has any input on this? I do drive down 9W during morning rush hour (and, come back home well after evening rush is over) and traffic moves fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey