U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-07-2009, 02:42 PM

2,404 posts, read 7,166,876 times
Default Manchester/Whiting, NJ

I already did a search of the forum and I haven't been able to find much information about Manchester or Whiting, NJ...

I understand there are lots of retirement communities in the area and my parents are looking to possibly buy a house there...Is there anything wrong with the area as the housing prices are low or is that just because of it being retirement homes, which I know are cheaper than most housing here in Las Vegas, but have higher HOA fees.

They are moving back to Jersey, originally from Elizabeth and Freehold areas due to wanting to be closer to family and I will also be attending university in Philadelphia. If you have any information, good or bad about Manchester or Whiting, could you please let me know...Also, is the area similar to Freehold?

Thank you in advance for the information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 02:50 PM

4,910 posts, read 5,966,483 times
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 03-16-2009 at 08:41 AM..

Old 03-11-2009, 11:04 PM

11 posts, read 26,187 times
Default manchester/whiting

My mother in law just bought a ranch house in whiting for about $95,000.
There is nothing wrong with the town. There are alot of retirement villages-some older and some newer homes. For a retiree living on just social security....it's great. The town has some smaller shopping centers and there are clubhouses with activities. The newer communities are nice..some have pools, etc...they are alittle more expensive. You could probably get a nice ranch home with 2 bedrooms, kitchen, living room dining room and a front porch. some even have back enclosed rooms... and some have nice sized properties..for about 200,000 and above. There is also a beautiful lake in whiting for swimming, food stand...many concerts held in the park during the summer. The beach at seaside or Island Beach State Park is about 30-35 minutes away. It's nice and quiet down there. But Toms river is nearby with many stores, malls, restaurants, etc. Many of the retirees that move down there but something inexpensive and then buy another home in Florida for the the winter months.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:46 AM

7,646 posts, read 10,695,944 times
Mattsvan is right, in the sense there is nothing wrong with the Manchester/Whiting area, in terms of home values being lowered because there is something necessarily wrong with the area. I've said it before: this area in Ocean County resembles many areas of Florida in look and feel than any other place in NJ. I think of it as Florida junior, for older retired people who want the conveniences and amenities without having to actually relocate away from their kids. My in-laws live in Leisure Village. My mother-in-law, however, can't stand living there, and longs to move back to Parsippany. It's just a different world for her there.

When I used to work in Lakehurst, I often went to the Shop Rite on Rt 70, just east of the Lakehurst circle. More often than not, I'd say I was the youngest shopper in the store. My MIL says that most of the people who live in Leisure Village are retirees from Staten Island and Brooklyn.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:23 PM

1 posts, read 4,513 times
Question Am I nuts ?

I've lived in Jersey City for 54 years and moved to the outskirts of Winston Salem, NC about 10 years ago to work at the home office of the company I was employed with. I had brought my mom to live with me, who got a stroke the 2nd year we lived here and has been mostly a nightmare for 9 years as being her only care giver. She died a few months ago. I no longer work and am getting social security benefits.
It is a wonderful place where I live and NC is wonderful but I never really fit in here. Would also like to work part time, but there is nothing down here at all. I think we have like around 10% unemployment.
Making a short story long, I recently heard about Whiting NJ as having low priced houses from a friend and see a few replies here. I just came back from a quick trip and visited Sandy Hook and the shore and realize how much I missed it. It's just me and my dog and really don't need a large house and Whiting seems interesting to me (although, my short trip, I was not able to get out and see the Whiting area.
No one goes back to NJ who leaves there. Although, there are are few NJ and NY'ers I talk with here also don't like NC but we seem to be in the minority.
House prices in NC vs NJ are not even close so I will have limited funds when I sell my home.
So my long winded question is, am I nuts wanting to return ?

Manny

Old 04-25-2009, 11:48 AM

460 posts, read 1,640,506 times
A friend of mine lives in the Cedar Glen commntiy off rt 70 + 539 i beleive. It's very quiet there and people are freindly enough. Theres's a lake nearby where everyone goes to in the summer and within the last 2 yrs or so they put up a wendy's, super stop + shop, big wawa, riteaid or cvs, a bank etc. A short distance from there is downtown Whting and more stores. The retirement communties down there are very affordable places to live with good value imo but I've heard some people complain it's too qiuiet and slow-paced while others do enjoy what it has to offer.. Rt 70 takes you to Philadelphia or Pt Pleasant. I beleive there's about 10 or more retirement villages in the area so there's a lot to choose from and there's no shortage of senior citizens. Definately worth looking into.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:28 AM

1 posts, read 4,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanuel Lekkas View Post
I've lived in Jersey City for 54 years and moved to the outskirts of Winston Salem, NC about 10 years ago to work at the home office of the company I was employed with. I had brought my mom to live with me, who got a stroke the 2nd year we lived here and has been mostly a nightmare for 9 years as being her only care giver. She died a few months ago. I no longer work and am getting social security benefits.
It is a wonderful place where I live and NC is wonderful but I never really fit in here. Would also like to work part time, but there is nothing down here at all. I think we have like around 10% unemployment.
Making a short story long, I recently heard about Whiting NJ as having low priced houses from a friend and see a few replies here. I just came back from a quick trip and visited Sandy Hook and the shore and realize how much I missed it. It's just me and my dog and really don't need a large house and Whiting seems interesting to me (although, my short trip, I was not able to get out and see the Whiting area.
No one goes back to NJ who leaves there. Although, there are are few NJ and NY'ers I talk with here also don't like NC but we seem to be in the minority.
House prices in NC vs NJ are not even close so I will have limited funds when I sell my home.
So my long winded question is, am I nuts wanting to return ?

Manny
Hi Emanuel "Butch",
I am George Lozos, son of the late Anna Lozos (passed 27 Feb 09). Our Mothers were friends. The phone we had for you/your Mother was disconnected. Just saying hi and to confirm you got my notice of my Mother's passing

best wishes,
George
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey