Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 12:42 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,471,209 times

Advertisements

it's a lot nicer than it was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 03:13 PM

835 posts, read 1,179,805 times
The building codes from 2000 to 2008 is what forced all the building of bayonne boxes. Corey booker has changed the code so expect to see very nice new style homes soon. Thank you sharpe james

Old 06-22-2009, 03:46 AM

5 posts, read 23,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topster7 View Post
Over the years, I've tried to stay abreast on efforts to spur a resurgence in Newark, albeit from afar. I grew up next door in East Orange, but so many good memories are tied up in my frequent visits to New Jersey's largest city.

I've read about public houseing complexes being torn down to be replaced by townhomes, expansions by colleges, and the occassional Performing Arts Center and similar big projects. So far, they seem to be falling short. And it saddens me. At heart, I always enjoyed urban living, and New Jersey seems to have turned into a mostly suburban population except for the lowest earning citizens. Other cities have managed in varying degree to accomplish this. Why not Newark? Certainly the generous taxpayers have lavished funds for public projects. Where is the private sector?

Philadelphia reclaimed Society Hill near downtown Center City. Boston transformed the North End and waterfront. Why not start with downtown condo hi rises, the area around Rutgers, and Forest Hills in the North Ward? Throw in some development for the Ironbound for good measure!

Newark is still a potential diamond in the rough. Since I live in California, perhaps such plans are already afoot and I missed them. For those of you closer to the situation, is this even being considered. Or to my original question; do any of you ever see this happening?
I quote you on that..Newark will emerge havent you noticed that FBI bldg on rte#21 and the NJPAC bldg as well as the new Newark Bears Stadium??
As for the projects..well there was plenty of speculation about the project bldgs going down...one it was of a racial problem going down in the 60's,70's, and 80's. Plus rich people never cared anyway it was all about the poor dropping property values for the past 40 yrs that matter. So they can come back and kick all the poor out. Also the political side...well thats like everywhere...every politian wants power and money and they will do what ever it takes to get it. Look at Newark's past mayors. Who needs politians, they're worst then the crooks. My grandmother still lives in Newark ever since the 50's and she told me alot about Newark coming up as a kid. Newark fell because of racism and political corruption. It left the poor to fend for themselves. False promises..wouldn't you get pissed if some politician tells you this...and then do that? But to make long story short, Newark will rise again..it has been ever since i left it in 1999. When i went back in 2005, i notice a lot of new things and the old things are now just a memory. I just feel bad that all the other sities and counties in NJ give Newark a bad name. Soon tey will feel the wrath Newark went through for half-a-century ago. Look at Nutley,Kearney,Passaic,Clifton, and even up near Lyndhurst..the wave of crime and violence entends to follow racism as it moves town to town. Newark always has that bad mark from those who commit crimes themselves. Look at Belleville,Bloomfield,Kearney, and Montclair...all ran by the italian Mob. I know I grew up in Belleville. All the little gelatto shacks and crappy bars are ran by mafiosos. Crime has been around but not only in Newark. Its the same mafiosos who run the show. It has been for years.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:33 AM

380 posts, read 709,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarillo22 View Post
I quote you on that..Newark will emerge havent you noticed that FBI bldg on rte#21 and the NJPAC bldg as well as the new Newark Bears Stadium??
As for the projects..well there was plenty of speculation about the project bldgs going down...one it was of a racial problem going down in the 60's,70's, and 80's. Plus rich people never cared anyway it was all about the poor dropping property values for the past 40 yrs that matter. So they can come back and kick all the poor out. Also the political side...well thats like everywhere...every politian wants power and money and they will do what ever it takes to get it. Look at Newark's past mayors. Who needs politians, they're worst then the crooks. My grandmother still lives in Newark ever since the 50's and she told me alot about Newark coming up as a kid. Newark fell because of racism and political corruption. It left the poor to fend for themselves. False promises..wouldn't you get pissed if some politician tells you this...and then do that? But to make long story short, Newark will rise again..it has been ever since i left it in 1999. When i went back in 2005, i notice a lot of new things and the old things are now just a memory. I just feel bad that all the other sities and counties in NJ give Newark a bad name. Soon tey will feel the wrath Newark went through for half-a-century ago. Look at Nutley,Kearney,Passaic,Clifton, and even up near Lyndhurst..the wave of crime and violence entends to follow racism as it moves town to town. Newark always has that bad mark from those who commit crimes themselves. Look at Belleville,Bloomfield,Kearney, and Montclair...all ran by the italian Mob. I know I grew up in Belleville. All the little gelatto shacks and crappy bars are ran by mafiosos. Crime has been around but not only in Newark. Its the same mafiosos who run the show. It has been for years.
Your analysis is correct. I always hear people say what a wonderful city Newark was before the riots. However, during those wonderful times of the 30's, 40's, & 50's there was already devastating poverty in sections of the central ward. Newark's black population during that time lived in the worst conditions in the country. There are some really good books on the riots and about how Newark was a racial powder keg waiting to explode. I have lived in Newark all of my 36 years and watched it go thru its growing pains. Newark is the third oldest major city in the country with an amazing history. And frankly I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. Newark was ALWAYS a great city.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:17 PM

271 posts, read 417,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by contachster View Post
Are those hockey fans actually walking around the streets where the arena is, spending money in the local businesses, putting money into the city?
I have lived in Newark my whole life and one of my favorite things to do is stand on the corner of Mulberry and Market when a hockey game is over. There is a police officer about every hundred feet or so from the exit of the arena to the entrance of Penn Station directing the flow of people along the gauntlet. There are usually between 6 or 8 police cruisers with their lights blaring just in the immediate vicinity of the exit of the arena. Then by Edison Place Newark police hand over the huge crowd of thirty-something caucasian males to NJ Transit police (who have already cleared the huge wooden benches in the waiting room of anyone who does not have a train ticket [homeless African-Americans] so the hockey fans can sit) who make sure they get on thier trains to the suburbs without incident. To answer your question-NO I haven't seen any hockey fans walking the streets before or after the games. They certainly are not encouraged to do so after the game. The stretch of Market St. between Mulberry & Broad is dead. None of the office space is occupied. There is a Mexican/Chinese food store, an urban clothing store, an army & navy clothing store & store that makes some kind of fish sandwiches & a few other urban t-shirt stores. Maybe if the corner near the arena had a nice coffee shop or a Devils themed sport shop/clothing store or anything other than the bleakness that is there now, the hockey fans might be brave enough to break out of the conga line after the game & venture into downtown Newark. Because as it is now there is nothing even for them where they would feel safe. That arena is in the middle of nothing.[/quote]

Devils fans can be seen on railroad ave during play off games but the arena is more of a new anchor. Its like macys at the mall, eventually parasite business will notice attendance numbers ( which are great ) and see a chance to capture some extra money that the people have. The hotels in the area are great for business that have a meeting with out of town invitee's, companies like Panasonic and Prudential which are both building new headquarters downtown. Thats a Nice combo for a hub. Shaq is trying to bring a team to newark and the sacramento king are moving so there is a slight chance they would come to newark ( a reach i know) Newark needs to build an actual subway system. its the size of a major city but has only one subway line... Most of the city doesnt have access to a decent rapid transit system... The draw to live in the suburbs is to be able to be away from it all and the draw to living in the city is being by everything. A person who might be afraid of newark might say ill move by the subway station and then eventually get acquainted with a neighborhood.

Old 09-08-2012, 04:28 PM

303 posts, read 919,724 times
Today we got Newark 4 years after end of the receission and trillions of $$$ pumped into Wall Street by Obama, Geitner and there cronies. Guess what? This is has good has it gets. I dont agree with Cory Booker but I respect him politics. Once his gone then Newark is back to business as usual and then the gentry ends.

Old 09-08-2012, 05:56 PM

293 posts, read 719,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topster7 View Post
IMO, Newark has all the ingredients to make a strong comeback. But only if a large section is set aside for intensive devopment, focusing heavily on desireable housing within the means of middleclass renters/buyers. A charter school would be essential at both elementary and secondary level.

Now this is the "dicey" part. It involves race. Because of past discrimination, many black officials have a chauvanistic attitude towards whites. This is seen in the school official as well as the elected office holder. It must cease, even as I must honestly say I understand the lingering anger and resentment in those 50 or older.

Construct a neighborhood say 10 blocks wide, 15 high. A large enough enclave so that white's would feel safe enough to agree to become new "urban pioneers". It would never be exclusively white, for the simple fact renting/selling based upon race is illegal. But this critcal mass would spur others to come back and re-claim this once proud city. Year by year, decade by decade, perhaps the development would expand.

We as a nation have stood by and stayed quiet, in any constructive way, as our cities deteriorate. Simply "wailing" about it has done nothing except waste money to ameliorate some sense of guilt. How did that work out?

Trying to attract people based upon race is fraught with so many anti-American dangers. I hope anyone that reads this understands that is not my motivation or intent; that you truly get the "jist" of what I suggest.

Is what I propose wrong? Poorly stated? Am I off base to think that Newark would profit by a substantial increase in middle class white residents?

Best post ever!!!....In a country whose society and its border line fanatical political correctness have got it completely wrong, this idea is ludicrous and offensive. We are inherently a tribal species which is why immigrants tend to gravitate in communities with people of their own kind. And with that a cultural tendency that is collective. Nothing wrong with that! At least in my view. However, when whites do the same thing they tend to be labeled as racists. And I say they because as a Hispanic and an immigrant myself, I have noticed this sort of imposed guilt trip. Furthermore, when things don't go well in "diverse areas" then we tend to blame directly and subliminally in many cases the whites for all the pains and aches that the communities are going through.

What I find rather humorous is that the truth is in everyone's faces. Cities like Detroit, Menphis, Peth Amboy, Miami, Camdem, Baltimore, and Newark happen to be in aweful conditions. These cities are not diverse by any stretch of the imagination. But their residents refuse to take full responsability and continue to perpetrate the cultural nuances that have made these cities........well the places that they are. With that said, slavery is gone and so is segregation. Therefore, if a community is in dismal conditions then we should blame ourselves for it. I would never live in a city like Newark. I do, however, love the architecture and history of the city. I feel that Newark has a great potential, unlike many cities in the U.S. And finally.....I do agree with your statement. If a few whites would move to the city, then the perception and the interest would grow exponentially. This is the only way to make of Newark the next Hoboken sort of speak, but it would not happen without major resistance. You are doom if you do and doom if you don't.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:21 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,596,039 times
I think we have found a good point. It does not have to be completely gentrified or completely ghetto. You can always gentrify the Center Ward (Business District and University Heights) and the Northward, while the West, South and East Wards remain for lower income people. Hence, you will have more revenue from the yuppies and room for lower income individuals. These lower-income individuals will benefit greatly from more governmental services that could be provided from more revenue. Hence, it would look like any other urban area on the upswing.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,824 times
Default This thursday 9/27

Join Mayor Cory Booker for a Discussion of Safe Streets and Livable Communities THIS THURSDAY morning
Join AARP and Newark Mayor Cory Booker for a Live Web Event on Thursday, September 27th at 10:00am
To learn more about the changes that communities such as Newark are making to make their streets safer, and how people just like you can encourage your own local leaders to make similar changes in your own community.
For years, communities were designed with one type of transportation in mind: cars. However, with the biggest focus on getting cars from point A to point B, the needs of pedestrians, who either are unable to or choose not to drive, were in many cases, an afterthought.
However, thanks to influential state leaders such as Mayor Cory Booker, times are changing. Now, communities across the state are lining up to adopt policies that are intended to make communities safer for bicyclists, public transportation passengers, and for those who simply choose to walk.
What: A Live Web Event Featuring Mayor Cory Booker About Safe, Active, and Livable Communities
When: Thursday, September 27th, 2012 at 10:00am
Where: [URL]http://www.livestream.com/aarpnj[/URL]

Old 09-25-2012, 03:13 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,033,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Guitar View Post
Best post ever!!!....In a country whose society and its border line fanatical political correctness have got it completely wrong, this idea is ludicrous and offensive. We are inherently a tribal species which is why immigrants tend to gravitate in communities with people of their own kind. And with that a cultural tendency that is collective. Nothing wrong with that! At least in my view. However, when whites do the same thing they tend to be labeled as racists. And I say they because as a Hispanic and an immigrant myself, I have noticed this sort of imposed guilt trip. Furthermore, when things don't go well in "diverse areas" then we tend to blame directly and subliminally in many cases the whites for all the pains and aches that the communities are going through.

What I find rather humorous is that the truth is in everyone's faces. Cities like Detroit, Menphis, Peth Amboy, Miami, Camdem, Baltimore, and Newark happen to be in aweful conditions. These cities are not diverse by any stretch of the imagination. But their residents refuse to take full responsability and continue to perpetrate the cultural nuances that have made these cities........well the places that they are. With that said, slavery is gone and so is segregation. Therefore, if a community is in dismal conditions then we should blame ourselves for it. I would never live in a city like Newark. I do, however, love the architecture and history of the city. I feel that Newark has a great potential, unlike many cities in the U.S. And finally.....I do agree with your statement. If a few whites would move to the city, then the perception and the interest would grow exponentially. This is the only way to make of Newark the next Hoboken sort of speak, but it would not happen without major resistance. You are doom if you do and doom if you don't.
Slavery is not gone, it just has a new name: Entitlements. The result is the same though: Decrepit existence, unending hopelessness, eternal bitterness, reflexive hostility, vocational crime, mundane death, unremarkable life.

Gentrifying this mess means displacing this mess, nothing more. Gentrification is not a cure, or even a treatment. Curing this disease will require a new philosophy. One that includes words like: individualism, personal pride, achievement, excellence, hard work, responsibility, tenacity, character, and above all: Reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey