U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-08-2009, 06:28 PM
 
3 posts, read 9,382 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

My boyfriend recently moved to Newark NJ, I've always known Newark for being THE WORST CITY.... how is it? anyone familiar with Monticello Ave near Dover St. being that its really close to Seton Hall University was wondering is it still considered a bad area, should I be scared to go visit taking the bus through downtown Newark and all the other parts of Newark to get to Dover St., is it like shoot outs and bullets flying where I would have to duck down riding a city bus... Now I'm from NYC , Brooklyn but although we have alot of crime as well you have very affluent neighborhoods in Brooklyn as well as working class and poor I still feel safe to travel to and fro to work, I've heard alot of stuff about Newark and just would like to set the record straight is it really as bad as I hear?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-08-2009, 09:17 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
2,653 posts, read 5,687,881 times
Reputation: 2327
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturaldiva76 View Post
is it like shoot outs and bullets flying where I would have to duck down riding a city bus...
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Once you enter the Newark boarder, they can smell your fear.
The people of NWK are not really people at all. Just savage animals with no emotion or morality waiting to pounce on innocent souls.
I read last week they put a fence around the whole city in order to protect the good citizens of NJ.
The city of Newark is an original member of Bush's "axis of evil".
I also heard they are developing weapons of mass destruction in Newark. You know, just to be gangster.
Newark is like that Mad Max movie with Mel Gibson.
Be afraid, be very afraid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2009, 09:26 PM
 
3 posts, read 8,952 times
Reputation: 12
On a serious note... You will not have to duck while sitting on a bus through Downtown Newark to the Seton Hall area. I am formerly from the Bronx, New York. I moved here two years ago and within those two years, I have seen great change. There is still alot of work that needs to be done, but it is getting better. Newark is very similar to the Bronx and Brooklyn; there are bad areas, mediocre areas and good areas.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2009, 09:30 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
2,653 posts, read 5,687,881 times
Reputation: 2327
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwklatina View Post
On a serious note... You will not have to duck while sitting on a bus through Downtown Newark to the Seton Hall area. I am formerly from the Bronx, New York. I moved here two years ago and within those two years, I have seen great change. There is still alot of work that needs to be done, but it is getting better. Newark is very similar to the Bronx and Brooklyn; there are bad areas, mediocre areas and good areas.
Don't dignify such a ridiculous question with a serious response. The wording & tone of this post is insulting at best.
You would think someone from NYC would be much more worldly about such topics, but I guess not.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2009, 09:36 PM
 
Location: Montgomery County, PA
2,771 posts, read 6,011,599 times
Reputation: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturaldiva76 View Post
I still feel safe to travel to and fro to work, I've heard alot of stuff about Newark and just would like to set the record straight is it really as bad as I hear?
Newark's quite bad, but you should be safe while you're on the bus. You're fine as long as you don't need to stand on a dodgy corner for a long time. But I don't think you'll need to do that. If you're going from the law school, you can catch the bus from the main terminal at Newark Penn.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2009, 10:11 PM
 
Location: Northeast NJ
345 posts, read 616,073 times
Reputation: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Once you enter the Newark boarder, they can smell your fear.
The people of NWK are not really people at all. Just savage animals with no emotion or morality waiting to pounce on innocent souls.
Ya know, the really funny thing is that if you're driving into Newark via Route 21 South, one of the signs that says "Now Entering City of Newark" (or something similar) has been vandalized, in that the word "City" has a sticker over it that says "Animal." So your assessment is actually more accurate than you intended
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2009, 10:35 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
2,653 posts, read 5,687,881 times
Reputation: 2327
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureNarcotic View Post
Ya know, the really funny thing is that if you're driving into Newark via Route 21 South, one of the signs that says "Now Entering City of Newark" (or something similar) has been vandalized, in that the word "City" has a sticker over it that says "Animal." So your assessment is actually more accurate than you intended
Wow, that was funny
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2009, 02:03 PM
 
Location: Ocean County
1,057 posts, read 1,768,021 times
Reputation: 326
Seton Hall really borders East Orange more than Newark. It's a pretty bad area, a lot of drug busts along the main drag and lots of guys hanging out on the street who I wouldn't want to catch on a bad day. I don't think you really have to duck for bullets, but the bottom line is that Newark does have a high crime rate and you have to be aware of your surroundings. Honestly, I'd take a cab instead of public transit if you can afford it.

Funny, someone spoke about undesirables "smelling your fear." I know you said it to make fun of the original poster (you were so helpful to her!) but realize that most literature on urban areas - including police manuals - instruct those in urban areas with high crime rates to "fit in" and look as if you know where you are and what you're doing there. It's about not letting yourself become a victim. The goal is to not allow yourself to stand out in such a way that invites the worst in our society to prey upon you. When walking in a bad section of Newark (there aren't too many good ones, frankly) that's a distinct possibility.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2009, 05:08 PM
 
297 posts, read 453,749 times
Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeradoDan View Post
Seton Hall really borders East Orange more than Newark. It's a pretty bad area, a lot of drug busts along the main drag and lots of guys hanging out on the street who I wouldn't want to catch on a bad day. I don't think you really have to duck for bullets, but the bottom line is that Newark does have a high crime rate and you have to be aware of your surroundings. Honestly, I'd take a cab instead of public transit if you can afford it.

I think you and the poster are confused about Seton Hall. The main campus, which is what you're referring to, is in South Orange on South Orange Ave. The poster is probably referring to Seton Hall's Law School, which is in Newark.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2009, 05:25 PM
 
835 posts, read 1,095,374 times
Reputation: 186
run for your life and don't make eye contact
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top