Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 07:43 PM

174 posts, read 430,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
Disernable lines?
We need a third party candidate at the very least. Nationally but locally would be even better.
A third party sounds attractive. But other than it's "cache", do you think a third party stands a chance? In my case, as a conservative, I prefer to attempt to reinvigorate the Republican Party. Get out and tell the people what we stand for. Convince them with the logic of our position.

The Republican Party has abandoned it's principles; mostly on fiscal matters, illegal immigration, and the role/size of government. Huge issues, all.

We've become the "Lite" version of the Democrats. We lost; and we deserved to lose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 07:55 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,599,180 times
These problems have been in NJ for 25-30 years. Both political parties have dropped the ball. So lets stop nitpicking on whose fault it is and was. There is only one answer STOP SPENDING EVERYONES MONEY. If I go for groceries and I have a 100 dollar bill, I don't buy 150 dollars worth of stuff. BOTH parties are and were doing it. Every governor promised reduced spending and none has. Look at the tax hikes in some towns Hoboken 47 percent, West New York 35 percent. The residents still vote the mayors in. My taxes doubled in less than 10 years. I was a union rep and we would have taken raises of 2 or 2.5 percent, no the city says take a 4 percent raise or leave it. Now it bites everyone in the ass. Towns and Counties pay retirees 100 of thousands of dollars buyout money and that doesn't even include pensions and healthcare. They don't care and why should they. They have the same gang of idiots that vote them in year after year. Wait till Corzine tells the towns and cities tomorrow No mas, no mas. Everyones taxes will skyrocket and a pack of butts will cost about 20 bucks. I could write about 100 pages on ways to conserve money for towns and cities because I have seen waste for over 30 years that would make you puke.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:55 PM

392 posts, read 841,219 times
Why do NJ residents tolerate such high taxes?

Many of us NJ residents were dropped on our heads as children.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:01 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,924,603 times
Third party definitely. Republican party will not morph into anything respectable anytime soon. It's easier to see this at the national level.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:48 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,570,497 times
IMO This is what most politicians in NJ recite before starting their day and before going to bed:

Greed for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right, greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through and captures the essence of being a politician. Greed, in all of its forms; greed for kickbacks, for power, for not caring spending other peoples hard earned money has marked the upward size of government and their so called entitlements.

I made changes to part of the Gordon Gekko "Greed is Good" speech - Wall Street movie.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:51 PM

174 posts, read 430,614 times
One area New Jersey residents should look at is pensions and retiree benefits. Not out of vindictiveness. Simply to shed some "sunlight".

Don't the Democrats welcome "sunlight" in government affairs?

Old 03-09-2009, 08:54 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,677,931 times
o god..

LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION!!

simple as that.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:45 AM

20,260 posts, read 19,847,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Christine Todd "Christie" Whitman wasn't exactly that long ago.
She was a total disaster. Stereotypical RINO.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:15 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,599,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topster7 View Post
A third party sounds attractive. But other than it's "cache", do you think a third party stands a chance? In my case, as a conservative, I prefer to attempt to reinvigorate the Republican Party. Get out and tell the people what we stand for. Convince them with the logic of our position.

The Republican Party has abandoned it's principles; mostly on fiscal matters, illegal immigration, and the role/size of government. Huge issues, all.

We've become the "Lite" version of the Democrats. We lost; and we deserved to lose.
Come on now you seem like an intelligent person, a conservative republican has about the same chance of GWB getting elected a third time. It's not going to happen in NJ so the repubs have to water a candidate down to have a chance. As a lifelong repub. from a dem. state this is quite obvious.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:31 AM

59 posts, read 182,990 times
I've lived in NJ all of my life, and it's always been a corrupt cesspool. Don't be fooled by lables like "democrat" or "republican". It's been a bipartisan hit job as long as I could remember. I've seen enough in my life here to know it's a losing battle to fight back, and I won't be spending my retirement years here. I have good family and friends here, but it's demoralizing when you look at NJ, and what it's become. It only gets worse. It never gets better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey