Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 11:34 AM

4,177 posts, read 5,055,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmama View Post
How does someone not pay rent for two years, just wonder? I can't imagine any court in New Jersey being that sympathetic.
agreed.

if the eviction notice is filed in a timely manner, worst case has the tenant out in 6 months.

it's not clear if the OP is living in an apt. building, or in a 2 or 3 family home. if it's the latter, and it's owner-occupied, the laws favor the landlord.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 11:37 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,687,487 times
He has no right to ask for your credit card number or harrass you. Like some of the others have said he has to do things through the courts if he wants you out.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:53 AM

707 posts, read 1,021,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Lady123 View Post
He has no right to ask for your credit card number or harrass you. Like some of the others have said he has to do things through the courts if he wants you out.

I agree. If he does not have enough funds in the bank as a backup in case a tenant is late with their rent, then thats an issue on his end and once you do get caught up, i definately recommend you move. If he's harassing you 10 days in more than likely he's not paying his mortgage ontime even when your ontime.

the last thing you want to do is come home and find a foreclosure notice on your door.

My previous landlord use to run directly to my bank the same day i gave her a check to cash it. I was never late, and never bounced a check. Needless to say i moved because i got worried, what really threw me for a loop is when I came home and found the water turned off because "she claimed she forgot to pay the water bill". So i paid it and deducted it from the next months rent.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:05 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,598,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjumper78 View Post
i have been paying rent every month for almost 3 years.
the most recent rent payment was due on 3/1 but i have not been able to pay due to my financial issues.
yesterday, the landlord came and asked me to pay the rent but i had no other choice but to tell him that i had no money at the time.
this morning, he came again and i told him the same thing. i had to get ready to go to work but he stayed outside the door and kept on banging on the door for 10 minutes or so. i told him that i would send him the payment by 3/25 (thats when i will have the money) but he said that was not acceptable and would give me until today to pay the rent.
it seems like he will be calling me every evening and coming over every morning, and it is going to cause so much stress on me and my family.
i know it is not fair for him not getting the payment on time but i am just not able to make the payment until 3/25.
can my landlord keep calling and coming everyday? what can i do about it?
He needs to file an eviction notice.. that could take up to 90 days . If he continues to harass you, call the police! Not sure what they can do but maybe they can ask him nicely to back off until the 25th???

Old 03-10-2009, 12:32 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,522,983 times
Oh god I had a landlord who banged on my door once when my rent was a day late. I was terrified he was going to beat me up or something. It's no fun. I had another landlord whose son made my life a living hell until I had to escape in the middle of the night. No fun again. Glad I don't have to rent anymore.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:53 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,804,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmama View Post
How does someone not pay rent for two years, just wonder? I can't imagine any court in New Jersey being that sympathetic.
NJ's courts aren't. I worked in property management for years and evicted many people. It's easy and not expensive to do. The judge will ask the tenant if they have the rent, if not, they're out. It's sad for those who are in trouble, especially the first time.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:20 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,761,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
It doesn't sound right to me that he's coming over and harassing and intimidating you. If you're going to be able to pay on 3/25 you're doing the best you can.

Please search for a NJ tenant's rights organization *today* to know your rights. I've heard a landlord can't throw you out on the street for at least a few months, even if you pay no rent at all. But you need to arm yourself with facts because this guy sounds like a scary bully.

how about she pays the damn rent on time if she doesnt want these problems.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:26 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,761,631 times
what kind of BS is this? your gonna pay him 25 days late? 2 weeks from now? what about april's rent?

Old 03-10-2009, 10:16 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,626,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
Oh god I had a landlord who banged on my door once when my rent was a day late. I was terrified he was going to beat me up or something. It's no fun. I had another landlord whose son made my life a living hell until I had to escape in the middle of the night. No fun again. Glad I don't have to rent anymore.
Afraid they were gonna beat u up?! Luckily i never had bad landlords, but did go to this one's office to see about renting there, he was a ******** so I said forget it and f off. Crumbled the application and he went crying to his daddy . If a landlord doesnt know how to talk respectfully, they wont know how to treat tenents or run an establishment.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:56 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,887,360 times
1) Tell him what you will pay on the 25th and explain that is the earliest he is getting his money.
2) Tell him not to ask again because that will not change anything. If he does, say "what did I tell you the other day?! I will give you $X on the 25th! Don't ask me again!". Just keep repeating this, because it seems like he is repeating himself.
3) If he crosses the line, explain that you will call the police and report him, if he asks you about the rent again.
4) Get a second job or pick up some sort of side thing to make a bit more money, if possible. The census is hiring lots of part-time workers!!

The following is NOT legal advice and no claims as to its veracity are being made by me!!!!!!!!!

The best course of action for your landlord, if he wants you out, is to immediately go file for an eviction. The earliest that court date will be is likely early April. Let's say, April 7th. If you give him a check on the 25th, he would not cash it and would instead bring it to court. Once you are both at court, the judge will ask what rent is missing. You will frantically explain that the economy is messing up your life, this issue came up, etc. and that you gave him March's rent on the 25th. He will say "here is the check, I did not cash it and he did not pay me for April". At that point, the judge will ask you if you can pay April and you say "no", then he will order an eviction. This eviction will be carried out by the sheriff approximately ten days later.

The reason landlords end up losing many months of rent sometimes, is because they do not file for eviction immediately after rent is late.

OP, I hope you can bounce back. If it was some sort of random expense that caused your lapse, instead of a structural thing like cutback in hours, you might want to borrow a bit of money to catch up. Please understand that is likely the case that your landlord is somewhat screwed right now. Perhaps, most of his tenants are not paying their rent right now and he is heading towards multiple foreclosures and the complete erasure of his net worth and credit rating? People are going to go bankrupt in the coming months because tenants are not paying rent, everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey