U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-11-2009, 06:48 AM

161 posts, read 330,581 times
Got it WileyNJ. Thanks. I don't think I would go anymore further then Fanwood. I should look for something closer, if we decide not to go with this home.

SteveMorse - I fell in love with the house more on the outside then the inside. I know we were planning on putting more money into the inside of the house before the inspection. But I don't want to put more then what we were planning on doing. So this is something that concerns me a little bit.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 08:23 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,790,182 times
I'd recommend getting a professional pest inspection done, I've never had one done on my house, but I imagine they must be out there. That will give you an idea about whether the past (or present) termite issue was minor/cosmetic, or a more serious structural problem.

The insulation issue is something that you're almost guaranteed to find in any old house, so if this really bothers you, you should stick to looking for houses built after 1990.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:22 PM

Thanks guys. I was up all night I thinking about this. I do love the house but I was thinking about the termit thing. But most scary thing is below. Ok, so remember before you read this below, I do have boxes, clothes etc I wold like to store in the attic. Also there is a air handler in the attic so it would be hard not to disturb it and if it is disturbed because of the unit then we will be inhaling all that. Do you think I'm over reacting?

What should I do if I have vermiculite attic insulation?
DO NOT DISTURB IT. Any disturbance has the potential to release asbestos fibers into the air. Limiting the number of trips you make to your attic and shortening the length of those trips can help limit your potential exposure. EPA and ATSDR strongly recommend that:
  • Vermiculite insulation be left undisturbed in your attic. Due to the uncertainties with existing testing techniques, it is best to assume that the material may contain asbestos.
  • You should not store boxes or other items in your attic if retrieving the material will disturb the insulation.
  • Children should not be allowed to play in an attic with open areas of vermiculite insulation.
  • If you plan to remodel or conduct renovations that would disturb the vermiculite, hire professionals trained and certified to handle asbestos to safely remove the material.
  • You should never attempt to remove the insulation yourself. Hire professionals trained and certified to safely remove the material.
[LEFT] [/LEFT]

Old 03-11-2009, 04:34 PM

Can you describe the air handler in the attic a little better? Is it positioned over a window or vent on the outside wall of the attic, or is it in the floor with a direct vent over the second floor ceiling?

I don't think you're overreacting to be concerned about your family's safety, it's an important thing to consider. However, from what you post, I can think of the following options:

(1) get an estimate of what it would coset to have the asbestos professionally removed (or enough of it removed that you can cover up the rest of it, like with a new floor or whatever)

(2) the recommendation is against storing boxes in the attic if retrieving them will disturb the insulation ... is that really the case? would you really need to disturb the insulation to put boxes up in the attic?

(3) I doubt you had plans to let your kids play in the attic anyway, right?

So in the end, I would look at this issue as one that can be addressed, like most issues, for a price. I have no idea what it would cost, but it might give you some piece of mind to have an estimate done. Then, you can perhaps negotiate with the seller for a reduction in price and have the work carried out before you move in.

Like I said, this is the type of issue you'll find in almost any old house.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:43 PM

No i would not let my child play in the attic. : )
It's a big fan and i think it was on the floor If i remember correctly. I can be wrong? Hmmm
Well you are right and i do believe that it is something I would find in most homes. Ok, I have to decide now. Thanks you all for listening.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:44 AM

7,577 posts, read 14,187,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plume12 View Post
No i would not let my child play in the attic. : )
It's a big fan and i think it was on the floor If i remember correctly. I can be wrong? Hmmm
Well you are right and i do believe that it is something I would find in most homes. Ok, I have to decide now. Thanks you all for listening.
Air handlers are typically associated with central A/C and if that's the case, they pull air from the living areas and blow are to the living areas... as long as it's sealed properly in the attic, you should be fine.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:56 AM

2,312 posts, read 4,507,668 times
Even if your inspection was 100% perfect, usually a couple of weeks after you close something major happens to the plumbing or AC, and you have to spend some major bucks.

Welcome to home ownership.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:11 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,436,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Air handlers are typically associated with central A/C and if that's the case, they pull air from the living areas and blow are to the living areas... as long as it's sealed properly in the attic, you should be fine.
As long as "what" is sealed properly? The ducts? Can the vermiculite come out of the vents?

Old 03-12-2009, 09:58 AM

Plume12 -- what type of heat does the house have, forced hot air or steam/water radiators? Does the house have central AC?

Old 03-12-2009, 10:01 AM

7,577 posts, read 14,187,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
As long as "what" is sealed properly? The ducts? Can the vermiculite come out of the vents?
The unit itself.. where the duct work comes into and out of the unit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey