Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 02:21 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I was looking for whatever thoughts you and anyone else has, so that works. Like Captain said, the numbers are the real story. The middle of the middle class in NJ is $106k, so you are either above or below that number. However, that doesn't necessarily relate to how someone perceives their position even when presented with hard numbers.

My intent was basically to see what some of the people saying "$100k isn't middle class" or "you need to make $200k to be middle class" think a middle class lifestyle actually is. I personally perceive of myself as middle class and I was rather perplexed by people who make significantly more then I do and have less people to support that claimed they didn't think they were middle class.

My thoughts were that it was more of a material perception then anything else, hence why I asked folks to describe what a middle class family is. As in, I think some people think "middle class" requires one to have: a 4br 3,000 sq.ft. colonial home on at least a quarter acre in a "good" (aka ranked in top 100) school district, two newer luxury branded cars in the driveway, newer in-style furniture, a "designer" kitchen, an annual trip to Disney for the kids followed by a week or two down the shore in the summer, eat out a couple nights a week, hire a sitter for the kids every Saturday for "date night", etc. Basically the type of lifestyle that actual middle class people don't really have, yet people perceive that as what middle class is.
LOL - I don't know what Captain says, I blocked him. I only see his stuff when people quote his responses.

Your last paragraph is IMHO an upper middle class lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 02:21 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
what if someone chose to have a 600k house instead of a 400k house? now they cant afford as many vacations or maybe they have lesser cars. did their house choice drop them to a lower class or did it keep them in the same class while reducing their discretionary spending?
Good point. I think you are right that it's ultimately a matter of income when making the determination. Again though, I was just curious what peoples perceptions were of what it meant to be middle class. Basically, finding the reason that people feel they aren't middle class even though they are based on how much they make. If it's a matter of having bought a $600k house versus a $400k house, why did they feel the need to buy the $600k house? Is that what they thought was the kind of house a "middle class" person lives in? Was it that it was in a very desirable town and that's what they felt was where "middle class" people live?

It's all basically rhetorical and I seriously doubt the "$250k to be middle class" crowd will entertain the question. At the end of the day, the entire exercise was summed up with the income level distribution tables. Like it or not, find your income and that will tell you "what you are".

Old 03-07-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
LOL - I don't know what Captain says, I blocked him. I only see his stuff when people quote his responses.

Your last paragraph is IMHO an upper middle class lifestyle.
I agree with what I said being an upper middle class lifestyle. Ultimately, I want the "need $250k to be middle class" people to answer the question. Everyone else is being far too reasonable. As what I described was "upper middle", meaning people earning around $150k a year, I'd love to hear the "$250k folks" describe what they think a middle class lifestyle is.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I agree with what I said being an upper middle class lifestyle. Ultimately, I want the "need $250k to be middle class" people to answer the question. Everyone else is being far too reasonable. As what I described was "upper middle", meaning people earning around $150k a year, I'd love to hear the "$250k folks" describe what they think a middle class lifestyle is.
i'm not sure if i've heard that term referring to this board in my 6 years here. LOL

Old 03-07-2013, 02:49 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
We'll,for one,there are different parts of the state.

I can say,having lived in both South and north Jersey,that middle class in North Jersey should start at 250,000.
In south Jersey,106,000 would do.

Even homes in Nwk are going for 200,000(decent ones anyway).

I really think it comes down to assets though,not income.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:02 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
django?
ROFL, no, somebody beat me to that one. Besides, isn't that down south?

Old 03-07-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
We'll,for one,there are different parts of the state.

I can say,having lived in both South and north Jersey,that middle class in North Jersey should start at 250,000.
In south Jersey,106,000 would do.

Even homes in Nwk are going for 200,000(decent ones anyway).

I really think it comes down to assets though,not income.
I posted the numbers. Hunterdon county has the highest income levels in the entire state. Average income is $140k for a family household. Meaning, if your household makes $140k in Hunterdon you are right in the middle of the middle class. There is nowhere in this state where you need to make $250k to be middle class. If your family household makes $200k or more you are in the top 10% in NJ.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:02 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,011,532 times
WOW, the people complaining that they are having a hard time "making ends meet" when they bring home a HHI of 200k need to get a reality check. At like 150k you make more than 90% of all americans, think about that for a second.

If you cant make ends meet,
buy a smaller house
lose the $300 cable package
lose the 4 iphone data plan
lose the car leases etc

There is really nothing worse than folks who have no idea how good they have it, whining about how "poor" they are. You choose to live the rat race, no one has a gun to your head.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarksNJ View Post
WOW, the people complaining that they are having a hard time "making ends meet" when they bring home a HHI of 200k need to get a reality check. At like 150k you make more than 90% of all americans, think about that for a second.

buy a smaller house
lose the car leases etc

There is really nothing worse than folks who have no idea how good they have it, whining about how "poor" they are. You choose to live the rat race, no one has a gun to your head.
Totally agree.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:27 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarksNJ View Post

buy a smaller house
lose the car leases etc

in the past, ive seen those talk shows on tv where people with financial problems talk to an expert about their issues. part of the problem is that people with greater income, get themselves into larger financial obligations and more debt. i remember one couple that made like 60k each of them. in their family/community, that was a very good income. so they wanted to show it so they had matching lexuses and a general lifestyle that couldnt be supported by their income.

people who earn more, spend more and they are clueless that they are making bad financial decisions. they just figure they arent yet rich.

look at jerseygirl's perception. she thinks that in some area you need 250k in income to be middle class. she has said in the past that blue collar workers cant afford to live in nj. she will never change her mind on that. however, njgoat has shown numbers to show that the vast majority on nj residents (even in northen nj) manage to get by without 250k in income. also, many blue collar folks live in new jersey. yet, she will still continue to repeat that people cant afford to live here and that middle class in northern nj is 250k. its interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey