Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 09:11 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,935,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
I agree that it's one of the better choices. A short commute to both Wall St and Mahwah is a pretty tough ask. You really need to compromise a little ...
Yes, and life has taught me that a better life will be had if it's the guy who compromises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 10:29 AM

1,552 posts, read 4,633,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
I spent 10 years driving to NYC from Denville. I always (except for acts of God) made it door to door in less than an hour... However I got up super early - I was through the Lincoln before 6:50am and I worked very close to the Lincoln and my building had parking. If I took the train or the bus it would have been at least 1 1/2 painful hours. Also leaving I had to be out by 5 or wait till after 7. The point is - it can be done especially if you get up and out early.
I always wonder how you early birds do it.

Well you must admit that yours was a non-standard commute. Most people don't (a) have the option to set their own start time in the AM (b) can't get out of the office by 5pm and most importantly (c) don't work very close to the Lincoln/Holland Tunnel.

Unless someone asks about commuting during off-hours or to an office next to the Lincoln/Holland Tunnel, it's probably best to assume that people are pretty much tied to the 9am - 6pm standard NYC workday, and that they will work somewhere other than next to a tunnel. Responses about commuting times are most helpful if made based on a normal commute, in terms of giving the real deal information.

Or if you give a commute time based on off-hours commuting and a particularly convenient office location next to a tunnel, you should indicate that in your post so that everyone knows the facts.

Just saying this because I know many people underestimate the commute from NJ to Manhattan, and then end up shocked at how much time and energy is sucks from them each day. It's better for everyone to go into it with their eyes wide open about the trade-off. It's a trade-off that's worth it to many people, myself included, but it definitely is a trade-off.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:34 AM

1,552 posts, read 4,633,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
Yes, and life has taught me that a better life will be had if it's the guy who compromises.
Ain't that the truth. The secret to a happy marriage is to keep your wife happy.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:30 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,526,545 times
Ridgewood. Upscale suburb, relatively close to Mahwah, bustling downtown. Over an hour to Wall Street but you'll find that to be true for most places. I think this is a very nice choice for you.

Montclair is the "cool" suburb, the most diverse, for the reluctant suburbanite. Train service isn't ideal. Don't know how far a drive from Mahwah. It's a great place to live.

Summit is another upscale suburb with very quick train service into Midtown (you have to get downtown from there). A lovely town. A little white bread. Don't know how far from Mahwah.

Downtown Jersey City is popular. I don't know that much about it. Very convenient to Wall Street and a reverse commute to Mahwah so may be doable.

Englewood is a bustling sophisticated town just over the river from the George Washington Bridge. Probably convenient commute to Mahwah, maybe a hellish commute through the length of Manhattan downtown. No trains, but buses. (I think)

Old 03-16-2009, 10:10 AM

3 posts, read 6,010 times
Hi all

Thanks very much for the responses - they have given me lots of good leads to research. Ridgewood especially seems like a good compromise - I think I can live with a 70-90 minute commute if it means its a nice area.

Does anyone have any opinions on commuting routes including a ferry trip, for example from Hoboken/Port Imperial to Wall Street/WTC? Are the changeovers fairly straightforward between train and ferry, or would I be looking at more than 10 minutes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey