Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 03:51 PM

517 posts, read 1,963,511 times

Advertisements

Help! Our lawn has become the "dumping ground of choice" for neighborhood wildlife. It has become so bad, we can't walk anywhere. We've got two geese who have decided to visit on a daily basis and spend most of the day in the backyard. We've got a family of four deer who visit nightly. We've even got bunnies.

We're told we have the greenest lawn around and that's what's attracting everyone. Who knows? Needless to say the lawn cannot even be enjoyed anymore which is especially disappointing for the kids now that the warm weather is approaching.

With all that being said, How do I:

A) Keep the wildlife at bay so they don't leave presents all day and all night

B) Remove what's there (and yes, I'm really "grossed out" by all this.... we're new to the single family home "thing" after apartment and townhouse living for years)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 03:58 PM

329 posts, read 1,528,624 times
a. go back to townhomes and make sure no pets are allowed.
b. make sure you have a large fenced backyard.

Old 03-16-2009, 04:20 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,355,143 times
I can't remember the name on the placemat but when eating at the Pantagis diner in Edison I remember seeing an add for a place that cleans up after animals. I wish I remembered the name of the place b/c I thought what an odd ad for a placemat. Anyway if you call the Pantagis they might be able to tell you the name of the place... it's on their placemat.
Pantagis Diner

My sister in Mendham can keep no flowering plants b/c the deer eat it all. The kids even tell you watch out for the deer poop. Yuck!!

Old 03-16-2009, 04:40 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,641,507 times
shwa there are things you can do to keep dogs from dooping on your lawn but not too much you can do with other wildlife. Dogs mark their turf with scent that is in pee and doop. This scent tells other dogs to stay the hell away but we all know other dogs will just pee right on top of the other scent to be top dog again. There are products to spray or spread, especially around the perimeter that make your lawn offensive to dogs.

There is no known deterrent for Geese or Ducks because they dont pee or doop to mark turf. They like cattle just drop it where ever they may be. They dont have anal sphincter muscles like humans and dogs that allow us to hold it in till the proper time to dump it.

Your only answer to Geese and Ducks is to get a Border Collie who will be sure they never come on your property. They are the #1 choice of dog for farms and cattle ranches. Australian Shepherds which I own are a close 2nd choice. Do you live on a lake? That would explain the Geese.

I welcome the wildlife. I live next to a wildlife preserve unfenced. There is a path right along my property line that is used by Deer, Red Fox, Grey Fox and other assorted critters who use it as a safe short cut to the lake to go down for a drink. Oh and how can I forget my friends the
Armadillos.

Go to a pet store and ask for a product that makes an offensive smell to animals. The down side is not always can kids play on a newly treated lawn.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Do you live on a lake? That would explain the Geese.
That's the strange thing..... we don't live anywhere near water. There are only two geese who visit. It seems to be the same two every day (one's bigger than the other).

Old 03-17-2009, 04:57 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,758,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
shwa there are things you can do to keep dogs from dooping on your lawn but not too much you can do with other wildlife. Dogs mark their turf with scent that is in pee and doop. This scent tells other dogs to stay the hell away but we all know other dogs will just pee right on top of the other scent to be top dog again. There are products to spray or spread, especially around the perimeter that make your lawn offensive to dogs.

There is no known deterrent for Geese or Ducks because they dont pee or doop to mark turf. They like cattle just drop it where ever they may be. They dont have anal sphincter muscles like humans and dogs that allow us to hold it in till the proper time to dump it.

Your only answer to Geese and Ducks is to get a Border Collie who will be sure they never come on your property. They are the #1 choice of dog for farms and cattle ranches. Australian Shepherds which I own are a close 2nd choice. Do you live on a lake? That would explain the Geese.

I welcome the wildlife. I live next to a wildlife preserve unfenced. There is a path right along my property line that is used by Deer, Red Fox, Grey Fox and other assorted critters who use it as a safe short cut to the lake to go down for a drink. Oh and how can I forget my friends the
Armadillos.

Go to a pet store and ask for a product that makes an offensive smell to animals. The down side is not always can kids play on a newly treated lawn.

TMI, desertsun, TMI....

I'm LMAO, but don't forget, I just got home from work at 6:30am, so everything that's a little funny, becomes hilarious at this hour of the day.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:48 AM

32,915 posts, read 36,310,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwa View Post
That's the strange thing..... we don't live anywhere near water. There are only two geese who visit. It seems to be the same two every day (one's bigger than the other).
Geese are attracted to lawns; they eat grasses among other things. They need a fairly long landing strip and like wide open areas so that they can see approaching predators.

For the deer I'd try a motion activated water spray devise. Move it around so they don't avoid just one area. Are they eating any plants or shrubs in your yard? I've seen a recipe on the internet for an egg spray that they're supposed to hate the smell of. Maybe you can get then to hang out further down the road.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:05 AM

563 posts, read 1,286,133 times
Geese have a tendency to come back to the same place every year. This couple probably has been living on your lawn for years and they think its theirs. How about getting a dog?

Old 03-17-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Sebring View Post
Geese have a tendency to come back to the same place every year. This couple probably has been living on your lawn for years and they think its theirs. How about getting a dog?

It's a new lawn! It was dirt last year. Apparently, we invested in some very good seed. Must be very tasty!

A dog? The kids would love that, but we're not ready to go that far yet!

Old 03-17-2009, 08:17 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,758,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwa View Post
It's a new lawn! It was dirt last year. Apparently, we invested in some very good seed. Must be very tasty!

A dog? The kids would love that, but we're not ready to go that far yet!
That will solve a lot of your wildlife issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: