U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-27-2007, 02:18 AM

5 posts, read 44,326 times
Default General cost of living in Princeton, NJ

Hi,

I am a mauritian living in the beautiful country of mauritius.
I am moving to NJ for around 1 year. I have left behind my wife and I am coming alone and my income is $ 50000 for these 12 months. But I plan to bring my wife as soon as I settle down.

It would be very grateful if anyone can provide some of the following details:

(a) lowest monthly rent for motels or flats in and around priceton junction?
(b) monthly cost of utilities (electricity, gas, water) ?
(c) monthly cost of food ?
(d) % of tax I have to pay for single person ?
(e) total living cost per month ?
(f) wat are the motels available around princeton junction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 05:22 AM

7,081 posts, read 24,174,349 times
You're asking about Princeton Junction, not Princeton - so you're also going to need a car!

Old 03-27-2007, 09:55 AM

46 posts, read 297,436 times
I found this rental on www.craigslist.org

$1400 / 1br - Furnished, available on a monthly basis starting June 1
Reply to: hous-301014723@craigslist.org
Date: 2007-03-26, 9:07PM EDT

Right in Princeton, this one bedroom furnished apartment inside a charming old colonial has everything you need. Also has a washer/dryer. It's on Mt. Lucas Rd between Jefferson and Ewing Streets. Quiet and private, yet very close to downtown. $1,400. Utilities are included.

PostingID: 301014723
I hope this helps

Old 03-27-2007, 10:17 AM

46 posts, read 297,436 times
We are also looking to relocate to the Princeton area from North New Jersey and after visiting Princeton, Princeton Junction and West Windsor this past weekend I would agree with Viralmd.... unless you live in Princeton itself you would need a car. Perhaps your work is in Princeton Junction? This area is very suburban and spread out with no real town center, unlike Princeton which is more compact and pedestrian friendly. I'm sorry that I can't provide you with more information as we are not much better informed than you are... I can however say that after living in North Jersey for several years and now looking at Princeton (Central Jersey)... I would say that the cost of living is virtually the same, which is to say QUITE expensive. The big difference I would imagine is the quality of life. I would think Princeton would be nicer, greener and generally less stressful than North Jersey. Hope this helps in some way

Old 03-28-2007, 12:07 AM

Default Goverment income tax

thanks to jerseymoves and Viralmd.

Well the job spot is around princeton junction, anyw I think that around princeton would be nicer, safer ,a kul shopping and look around place.

Wat is the approx distance from p.junction to princeton such that I will need a car ?

well I would also like know how much percentage of goverment income tax I have to pay as a computer analyst if am a non citizen with only a work permit of 1 year ?

Thanks

Old 03-28-2007, 04:23 AM

40 posts, read 153,467 times
Hi, I live in Princeton Junction and work in Princeton. Although it would be hard to live in Princeton Junction without a car, it's not impossible. If you position yourself close to the station, there is what's known as the "dinky" train - a shuttle between Princeton Junction and Princeton train stations. It takes a few minutes, I'm not exactly sure how many. Also, close to the train station you'll find a supermarket, a drug store, dry cleaners, etc. It would be so hard to say how much it would be for your monthly food, but we budget $800 for a family of four, so perhaps 200-250. I guess it depends on your eating preferences!!

The attached is perfect for living close to the station:

http://www.prufoxroach.com/search/search_results_profile.cfm?propID=6715aab2-b370-4052-aed3-47ec6f460545&propNo=22&sortby=1&pagestart=1&startr ow=21 (broken link)

And negotiable probably!!!

Old 03-29-2007, 09:43 AM

6 posts, read 27,900 times
Dear God, I rent in Cranbury and I would venture to say that if you have ANY issues with cost of living you don't belong in Princeton. I feel too poor to even DRIVE through the town in my old Pontiac. Yikes.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:31 AM

Default Hello to all New Jerseyians

Hi all,

It is now time for me to come to Princeton this October.
Hope I will make some good friends!!

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey