U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 10:38 AM

7,913 posts, read 16,463,295 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't even use a county map to dilineate NJ regional boundaries. I'd defer to a zip code map. For instance, Union County, in it's entirety is Northern NJ, in my opinion. So, too, is almost all of Somerset County. However, once you are at the bottom, like at Montgomery Township, that to me is now Central Jersey. My boundaries would be based more upon media circulation, more specifically, newspapers. Ask yourself if the Trenton Times has prominent voice, for instance, in Bridgewater. Can you walk into a 7-Eleven and purchase it? If the answer is no, then it is of my opinion you are in the Northern NJ sphere of influence. You can buy the same paper in Montgomery or Rocky Mount, though. These are the areas you really need to formulate in order to make an honest matrix when it comes to dividing the state, logically. County maps I think are just too broad based, spatially. I've tried it before with zips, received criticism, and that criticism was very well grounded. It's not an exact science.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 01:21 PM

2,705 posts, read 6,978,951 times
Mike is on point.

Union County is absolutely North Jersey. Elizabeth? C'mon. It's in the shadow of Manhattan. Right next to Newark Airport. Union County has absolutely nothing in common with the typical sprawl of Central Jersey.

Monmouth County is NOT South Jersey...it's Central. Look at the map.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:41 PM

119 posts, read 395,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Mike is on point.

Union County is absolutely North Jersey. Elizabeth? C'mon. It's in the shadow of Manhattan. Right next to Newark Airport. Union County has absolutely nothing in common with the typical sprawl of Central Jersey.

Monmouth County is NOT South Jersey...it's Central. Look at the map.
I totally agree with this. To me, anything north of the Raritan bridge becomes north Jersey. I'm less clear on the boundries anywhere north of Trenton, or if New Brunswick is central or north Jersey though.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:05 PM

6,130 posts, read 15,101,612 times
New Brunswick/Edison/Piscataway would be central.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:29 PM

If you ask someone from Bergen County, they might draw a map that looks like this:

Old 03-30-2009, 02:42 PM

1,536 posts, read 3,985,649 times
LOL - so true, Lammius! I once had a girl from Bergen County tell me Westfield was in south Jersey.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:43 PM

34 posts, read 124,653 times
LMAO at Lammius!! LOL that's so true everything that is not in Bergen County is South Jersey to them!

Wikipedia acutally gives a great break down of what central jersey is made up of. Some people think there is only North and South Jersey and rule out Central jersey all together but it exists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Jersey

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/8e/Centraljerseycorrect.PNG/180px- (broken link)

Old 03-30-2009, 03:06 PM

7,913 posts, read 16,463,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
If you ask someone from Bergen County, they might draw a map that looks like this:
That was my chuckle of the day! Way to go Lammius, that could not be more true!

Old 03-30-2009, 03:38 PM

2,705 posts, read 6,978,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
That was my chuckle of the day! Way to go Lammius, that could not be more true!
Lammius, that is so true, and so hilarious.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:40 PM

Yeah the Bergen County thing is definitely real. I was at a party in LITTLE FALLS (Passaic County!) and overheard a girl from Wallington (Bergen Co) say, "Thanks but I have to go back to North Jersey."

O RLY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3000 View Post
LMAO at Lammius!! LOL that's so true everything that is not in Bergen County is South Jersey to them!

Wikipedia acutally gives a great break down of what central jersey is made up of. Some people think there is only North and South Jersey and rule out Central jersey all together but it exists.

Central Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yeah, that map's not bad, but I can't call Elizabeth "Central Jersey" and I can't call Tuckerton "Central Jersey." Even Toms River is a stretch, IMO. Give Ocean to South Jersey and give Union to North Jersey, and we have a deal.

Ok, how's this for a compromise, using maps of Israel and Kashmir as a model:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or