U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2009, 03:48 PM

2,705 posts, read 7,100,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Yeah the Bergen County thing is definitely real. I was at a party in LITTLE FALLS (Passaic County!) and overheard a girl from Wallington (Bergen Co) say, "Thanks but I have to go back to North Jersey."

O RLY?

Yeah, that map's not bad, but I can't call Elizabeth "Central Jersey" and I can't call Tuckerton "Central Jersey." Even Toms River is a stretch, IMO. Give Ocean to South Jersey and give Union to North Jersey, and we have a deal.

Ok, how's this for a compromise, using maps of Israel and Kashmir as a model:
The funny thing is, Wallington is geographically more South than Little Falls.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 04:26 PM

7,962 posts, read 16,781,351 times
At the other extreme, living in Medford, I worked for 3 years amongst people from South Jersey. One in particular stood out, from Franklinville, which is in Salem County. I spoke many times with him regarding this subject. This would be his map:

Old 03-30-2009, 07:33 PM

12,284 posts, read 30,953,572 times
mike and lamm's maps are killing me! LOL

i personally do not accept somerset (i lived there, and still considered myself north jersey) and northern hunterdon county as part of central jersey. as far as montgomery, yeah it's a little iffy at that point, but for some reason go 1 mile south into princeton and it's a different world. montgomery i'll call "nentral nj".

so i'll say middlesex county, part of mercer. i grew up with anything south of the raritan bridge as being south jersey, but now that i'm in monmouth county a lot, i'll begrudingly say it's not "south" - at least as far north as the arts center.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:14 PM

825 posts, read 2,764,490 times
you've heard of South Central LA? Well now there's South Central NJ!

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r186/STrapani1105/mmithcill.jpg (broken link)
^that'll settle the dispute!

Old 03-31-2009, 01:04 AM

390 posts, read 1,346,568 times
I still think the Raritan separates north from central. There's more leeway on the central and south boundary. Toms River seems more central as many residents commute to NYC. How about Tuckerton? What town is the NYC commute cutoff?

Old 03-31-2009, 07:27 AM

250 posts, read 793,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBone View Post
I still think the Raritan separates north from central. There's more leeway on the central and south boundary. Toms River seems more central as many residents commute to NYC. How about Tuckerton? What town is the NYC commute cutoff?
I'm guessing Toms River is the cutoff. NJ Transit's last stop is in Northern Ocean County, and Toms River still requires a drive to that, but going any farther would be a serious commute.

Tuckerton, Long Beach Island, etc. have some ties to Atlantic City/County, which by way of nature has ties to Southwest NJ, which has ties to Philly.
The Press of A.C. has circulation in Southern Ocean Co., and provides NYC TV listings in the newspaper out of courtesy for the Southern Ocean Co. ppl.

Also, they have Genuardi's grocery store, 609 area code, receive Atlantic City FM, however they get NYC TV on DirecTV/Dish because all of Ocean County is NY market.

But it reciprocates back to Northern Ocean County which then gets CSN-Philadelphia on Comcast cable, and is in Phillies home territory because the Southern Ocean Co. is in essence part of Southern NJ. So its like if you really claim just a small part of the county, you can claim all of it. I think Ocean County however is underserved ways even though they get both NY and Philly influence, whereas Mercer is overserved (guess having the capitol in the county helps).

Last edited by subwayfan; 03-31-2009 at 07:40 AM..

Old 03-31-2009, 08:22 AM

2,705 posts, read 7,100,865 times
This really sucks. I just wrote a really long, well-thought out response...and when I submitted it, the "server was too busy", and my really well thought out reply is lost in Cyberspace. That totally sucks. What's going on with the server on this site lately???

Old 03-31-2009, 08:48 AM

7,962 posts, read 16,781,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
mike and lamm's maps are killing me! LOL

i personally do not accept somerset (i lived there, and still considered myself north jersey) and northern hunterdon county as part of central jersey. as far as montgomery, yeah it's a little iffy at that point, but for some reason go 1 mile south into princeton and it's a different world. montgomery i'll call "nentral nj".

so i'll say middlesex county, part of mercer. i grew up with anything south of the raritan bridge as being south jersey, but now that i'm in monmouth county a lot, i'll begrudingly say it's not "south" - at least as far north as the arts center.
I think this is the specific intersection where NJ transitions from North to Central. I've driven 206 many times, and came to the conclusion a while ago this is the demarcation line:

rt 206 and rt 518, montgomery nj - Google Maps

Old 03-31-2009, 09:26 AM

12,284 posts, read 30,953,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I think this is the specific intersection where NJ transitions from North to Central. I've driven 206 many times, and came to the conclusion a while ago this is the demarcation line:

rt 206 and rt 518, montgomery nj - Google Maps
OR OR OR........

the demarc between 908/609 & mailing address - part of montgomery has princeton 609 phone numbers and princeton mailing address!

Old 03-31-2009, 06:52 PM

21,187 posts, read 5,518,594 times
I lived in Monmouth County and it was always considered Central Jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or