U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 07:25 PM

3,223 posts, read 8,243,788 times

Advertisements

really it's divided by "gateway region" "southern shore" "greater atlantic city" "delaware river region" "highlands". the philly burbs are all classified as The Delaware Valley meaning philly media covers this area. I don't think this south/north central concept is healthy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 08:23 PM

There are 2 central jerseys. The ones north jersey considers south and the one south jersey considers north.
Attached Thumbnails
What Exactly Is Central New Jersey?-nj_1826.jpg  

Old 04-14-2009, 08:33 PM

199 posts, read 458,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
There are 2 central jerseys. The ones north jersey considers south and the one south jersey considers north.
LMAO at the Confederate flags! But in all honesty, some people have some pretty warped views of the whole north, central, south thing. If you're going to divide it up, to me, that means you have to do it geographically. I'm sorry but northern Somerset, Hunterdon, and Middlesex counties are NOT Central Jersey. Just look at the map. If you inlcude those as apart of Central NJ, what would be "South Jersey" is almost twice the size of "North Jersey". Look at the map on the 1st page, and that's exactly what happens. Also, all of Monmouth county should be Central Jersey. In no way is Monmouth South Jersey.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:41 PM

992 posts, read 3,167,710 times
Most of Ocean county is SJ imo, no matter how many New Yorkers invade those beaches. You can have everything from Seaside on up.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:43 PM

992 posts, read 3,167,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
At the other extreme, living in Medford, I worked for 3 years amongst people from South Jersey. One in particular stood out, from Franklinville, which is in Salem County. I spoke many times with him regarding this subject. This would be his map:

That map has the right idea, I would move the North Jersey line up to around Florence though

Old 04-14-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJphillyfan View Post
LMAO at the Confederate flags! But in all honesty, some people have some pretty warped views of the whole north, central, south thing. If you're going to divide it up, to me, that means you have to do it geographically. I'm sorry but northern Somerset, Hunterdon, and Middlesex counties are NOT Central Jersey. Just look at the map. If you inlcude those as apart of Central NJ, what would be "South Jersey" is almost twice the size of "North Jersey". Look at the map on the 1st page, and that's exactly what happens. Also, all of Monmouth county should be Central Jersey. In no way is Monmouth South Jersey.
If that first map can catagorize Trenton into South jersey instead of central, then perthamboy and bridgewater would have to be central - and to reflect that extreme in the south we need a south central.

Practically speaking, south jersey is huge and south central is quite similar to north central. Central can mean bordentown or seaside so I think the only clarification is to forget about north and south jersey because those extremes are obvious, and instead refer to north central or south central.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:16 PM

80 posts, read 323,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STrapani1105 View Post
it's arguable but this is Central Jersey in my book (the yellow part):
Nope. Sorry to say, you're wrong. Monmouth county is central NJ. It's all about where you live though. I'm in Monmouth and have always been referred to as central when I'm here. When I'm south, I'm referred to as north. When I'm north, I'm referred to as central and rarely south.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:17 PM

80 posts, read 323,885 times
Quote:
Exactly .Your map is correct. The first person who posted was not.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:25 PM

21,186 posts, read 5,516,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicchick581 View Post
Nope. Sorry to say, you're wrong. Monmouth county is central NJ. It's all about where you live though. I'm in Monmouth and have always been referred to as central when I'm here. When I'm south, I'm referred to as north. When I'm north, I'm referred to as central and rarely south.
Monmouth County has always been CENTRAL NJ. I've never heard of it being spoken of differently.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:40 PM

199 posts, read 458,021 times
Quote:
If that first map can catagorize Trenton into South jersey instead of central, then perthamboy and bridgewater would have to be central - and to reflect that extreme in the south we need a south central.

Practically speaking, south jersey is huge and south central is quite similar to north central. Central can mean bordentown or seaside so I think the only clarification is to forget about north and south jersey because those extremes are obvious, and instead refer to north central or south central.
There's something wrong with that, though. If we were to geographically divide it up, South Jersey shouldn't be any bigger than North Jersey. That's what I'm saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or