Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 01:24 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,043,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seque5tra View Post
It's true! If you do all your runs on the sidewalk, where you're constantly hopping from side to side and jumping around things (on a harder, uneven surface)...you can end up with a bunch of chronic issues...metatarsal issues, tendonitis, etc. etc.---then your gait gets messed up and you're screwed.

And, if you're training for a marathon and have a 20-mile run planned...you have no choice but to have at least part of your run be on the roads. Unless you live in the country, or near an extensive trail system, it is hard to find 20 miles of empty road where you are in no one's way. And 20 miles on a treadmill? OMG. I think I'd choose getting hit by a car.
Sorry, I have to disagree on this one. Everything you pointed out are reasons for joggers to actually seek out locations that are away from traffic.

For the daily or weekly jogger, go to your local high school or to parks and jog there. That's part of the reason all those tax dollars are being spent on their upkeep and maintenance. Even when I do go out jogging in New Jersey, there is no way I am jogging on the roads in South Brunswick. I'll either be at the high school or over at on of the parks for circuits.

If people want to train for marathons, there are enough areas that keep you off the road yet give you the macadam and the type of variation sought for marathon training. If I'm really looking for space to do marathon training, I'd head for Princeton Forrestal Campus. They have jogging paths throughout the complex that keep you well away from the roadway yet are "easy" on the feet.

Personally, I'm not going to be one of the joggers who puts himself and the motoring public at risk by going out and jogging on surfaces where 2,000 cars and 10 or 20 ton trucks are whizzing by me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 04:27 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
PDD and whomever else, riding your bike on the sidewalk is ILLEGAL.
I am not suggesting bikers ride on sidewalks just ride single file when on the public streets and stay at the edge of the road.

I am a bike rider also but only off road because I don't want to be run over by a car either.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:49 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seque5tra View Post
It's true! If you do all your runs on the sidewalk, where you're constantly hopping from side to side and jumping around things (on a harder, uneven surface)...you can end up with a bunch of chronic issues...metatarsal issues, tendonitis, etc. etc.---then your gait gets messed up and you're screwed.

And, if you're training for a marathon and have a 20-mile run planned...you have no choice but to have at least part of your run be on the roads. Unless you live in the country, or near an extensive trail system, it is hard to find 20 miles of empty road where you are in no one's way. And 20 miles on a treadmill? OMG. I think I'd choose getting hit by a car.
Exactly! I had a great place to run when I lived in Maplewood. The reservation in South Orange has a beautiful path that has limited traffic, and is ideal. Now I am training for another marathon, and no matter where I run, there are places with not only not a sidewalk, but not even a shoulder! I planned my twelve mile run last week where I saw the most opportunity for a safe run. It amazed me how many cars I could actually FEEL driving by me they were so close.

And I have no idea why anyone would think someone on a bicycle would ride on a sidewalk, makes no sense IMO. I do think there are safer places to ride then some people do, and am baffled by their choices!

Old 03-29-2009, 05:10 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,523,463 times
I can't tell you how much I hate most of the bikers on the road. They have a death wish and I am so afraid that one day I will accidently kill one of them because of their stupid moves like driving through red lights and passing on the right.

Old 03-29-2009, 05:14 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times
Don't turn without a blinker and you won't run us over.

Old 03-29-2009, 05:20 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,485,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
I can't tell you how much I hate most of the bikers on the road. They have a death wish and I am so afraid that one day I will accidently kill one of them because of their stupid moves like driving through red lights and passing on the right.
The worst is when a biker avoids a pot-hole or some other defect in their path that could cause them to wipe-out on the "shoulder" and swerves even just a little bit onto to the white line. Where is the car creeping up on him supposed to go? Into oncoming traffic?

I don't understand joggers/runner or cyclists who choose to use busy streets to jog/run or bike during the hours where traffic is high. Drive yourself to a park where it's safer for everyone.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:27 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
JerseyG, completely agree. I do however run towards traffic instead of with traffic. It is much safer IMO to see cars coming at me for that very reason!

Old 03-29-2009, 09:28 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by factory3 View Post
What kind of society is this when you are forced into cars to go anywhere? The problem is the narrow-minded city-planners who are solely focused on car traffic and do not consider alternative transportation / pedestrians.
I THINK I LOVE YOU!!! Someone else on City-Data who detests urban sprawl?!

Old 03-29-2009, 09:41 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,703,722 times
try to stay in touch with reality...

Old 03-29-2009, 09:47 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
Share the road. That goes for everybody (motorists and cyclists alike).

Did you know the average lane width is between 11 and 12 feet? Did you know the average car is 6 feet wide? There's room for everyone, if everyone is considerate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey