Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 09:31 AM

10 posts, read 66,601 times

Advertisements

I would like opinions on the advisability of a middle-aged professional couple (no kids) moving to the Berkeley Square or Hiltonia area of Trenton. My husband and I are burned out on looking for a house in Princeton. What do you think would be the advantages and disadvantages of buying a wonderful old home in one of those areas? or ?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 09:51 AM

1,398 posts, read 7,703,990 times
Those old homes in the Hiltonia area are nice of course but the property taxes are thru the roof. Also note as you drive around that many owners have applied bars to all the first level windows etc. What does that tell you ?? As a result of that property values down there are going anywhere but up.

Last edited by JBrown; 03-27-2007 at 10:01 AM..

Old 03-27-2007, 09:59 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarHarHar View Post
I would like opinions on the advisability of a middle-aged professional couple (no kids) moving to the Berkeley Square or Hiltonia area of Trenton. My husband and I are burned out on looking for a house in Princeton. What do you think would be the advantages and disadvantages of buying a wonderful old home in one of those areas? or ?????
If you like an adventure it could be interesting. You will not be the first in the neighborhoods mentioned to "rediscover". It is a far cry from Princeton but Hiltonia has nice stuff to look at for sure. Just ask yourself why you are considering this town? There are the obvious negatives and it seems strange when people post on here that they are looking at extremes only. Princeton vs Trenton, Tribeca vs S Bronx, Short Hills vs Newark. The real question is what is it about these two ends of the spectrum that appeal to you? Most people look at the more numerous options. If you don't like any other options than your motivations for relocation to Trenton may be less practical and more of a personal nature. Talk to some associations there. They def have a renewal group-I have seen it online and Hiltonia is old and established so you should be able to get info easily on that.

Old 03-27-2007, 12:20 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for both the comments. As to looking at the extremes, it is largely to avoid the huge suburban sprawl and big box shopping that is taking over the area. Princeton has character and local shopping, that's more than can be said of a lot of areas. I don't want to live in a sprawling subdivision requiring a car for every outing. But maybe I'm looking for the impossible. I also don't want to be killed in my bed at night, even in a charming old house.....................

Old 03-27-2007, 12:26 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,703,990 times
BTW... The post by Cyntmac got me thinking.... Perhaps it's the architecture/ style of the fine older style homes in the Princeton and Hiltonia areas that peaks your interest. If that's the case you may want to look at Pennington , Hopewell, and Rocky Hill areas as well. All three have many many large older homes, excellent safe communities with appreciating real estate values and top notch school systems. I understand no kids but it's a major consideration if/when you decide to sell etc. In addition all are within a short drive of both Princeton and Trenton if that's a consideration. All three tend to be less expensive than Princeton but much much safer than Trenton. I hope this helps.

Old 03-27-2007, 03:39 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,086,761 times
Both areas have some lovely homes. Given a choice between the two, I would feel a little safer in the Hiltonia district vs. Berkeley Square, but that's just me, stats might tell a different story. Being that schools/kids aren't an issue, I think you'd probably be fine there. But drive through on a Saturday night, late, just to make sure you know exactly how it is. The people I have met who live in this area are really nice and take a lot of pride in their neighborhood.

Old 03-27-2007, 07:10 PM

Thanks again - I did check out the web site for the Hiltonia Association. It's a shame that crime has to be such a factor. Are there any other areas of Trenton that we should consider? And we have been looking in Pennington and Hopewell as well, there just isn't much left in those towns on the Main Streets - struggling coffee shops and a few deli type businesses. What has happened to America's small towns and cities?

Old 03-27-2007, 07:52 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,049,310 times
Trenton is a tough call, have you looked at Mill Hill?
Cranbury has a sweet main street, limited businesses and some lovely old homes.
Or, Lambertville, very cute river town, loaded with older, well kept homes, great restaurants and shops. New Hope is a short walk across the bridge into PA, a funky little town with lots of quirky shops and antiques. Both of these river towns get lots of tourists and can be quite congested especially in the summer months.
Lambertville might be worth checking out!

Old 03-28-2007, 08:14 AM

Talking I'll check it out...

I'm going to check out Lambertville and Cranberry. We just "lost" a house in Princeton that got bid up way past the already high asking price. It seems like a lot of the nice communities are just plain unaffordable.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:07 AM
jjj

168 posts, read 819,832 times
Stay far away from Trenton!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey