Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2009, 01:48 PM

8 posts, read 48,485 times

Advertisements

We just received confirmation that the seller has agreed to remove the decommissioned underground oil tank (and I'm sending them Wiley's contact info!). Now what? How do we know if it will be done correctly? Should we schedule a soil sample for the same day the tank is removed?

Thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 02:00 PM

1,552 posts, read 4,632,408 times
Yes -- you should hire your own soil testing firm to perform soil tests, ideally (although not necessarily) the same day the tank is removed.

That's great that Wiley's firm might take care of the removal. I don't think they do testing, but I have used ATS Environmental for soil testing before, there are others out there I'm sure (ATS doesn't do tank removal or remediation, so in theory they do not have a conflict of interest and no reason to give false dirty results):

Tank testing by ATS Environmental for residential and commercial underground heating oil tank underground storage tank soil testing serving new jersey new york delaware pennsylvania and massachusetts for geoprobe & NJ oil tank program, leak detection

Not sure what areas they cover -- what town is this in? Also, different counties/towns may have paperwork requirements in terms of what needs to be done when a tank is removed, if you're proactive you can try to stay on top of that even though technically it's the seller's responsibility ... again, depends on the town I think.

Wiley might have other suggestions for testing companies, but it's smart of you to have all this lined up ahead of time. I would also suggest that, if possible, you be there to see what's going on for the removal, and at least be there when the soil testing is done so you can speak directly with the testing guy.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:00 PM

8 posts, read 48,485 times
Thanks, Lusitan!

Old 04-01-2009, 01:44 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,599,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslyn View Post
We just received confirmation that the seller has agreed to remove the decommissioned underground oil tank (and I'm sending them Wiley's contact info!). Now what? How do we know if it will be done correctly? Should we schedule a soil sample for the same day the tank is removed?

Thanks for any advice.
I had a feeling that phone call was associated with your purchase . I returned the realtors call but I haven't heard back from her yet. And for the record, we do post removal soil sampling but we don't do pre-removal soil sampling. A sample once the tank is removed is a good idea. This way, when and if you ever sell the house, you'll have documentation that the soil was fine vs. a "sticker" from the local inspector

Old 06-23-2009, 07:46 PM

299 posts, read 1,333,031 times
Check with the local township inspectors office; some require there own inspection as part of the certificate of occupancy.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:40 AM

7 posts, read 37,245 times
In New Jersey the Uniform Construction Code requires a permit be applied for and an inspection performed for tank removal or abandonment. Please note that if you apply (Most likely the contractor) for a permit to remove a tank and the tank is removed and inspector documents it, then you have achieved approval on a local level regarding the inspection. Meaning you said you were going to remove a tank, you did and it was inspected by the contruction or fire official. IT DOES NOT MEAN THE TANK DID NOT LEAK, as this is not the direct responsibility of the township to inspect for leakage.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:20 AM

299 posts, read 1,333,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by castorfox View Post
In New Jersey the Uniform Construction Code requires a permit be applied for and an inspection performed for tank removal or abandonment. Please note that if you apply (Most likely the contractor) for a permit to remove a tank and the tank is removed and inspector documents it, then you have achieved approval on a local level regarding the inspection. Meaning you said you were going to remove a tank, you did and it was inspected by the contruction or fire official. IT DOES NOT MEAN THE TANK DID NOT LEAK, as this is not the direct responsibility of the township to inspect for leakage.
I guess each township is very different. When I sold my house it was required that a test be done on the tank to see if it was leaking. I could not sell the house if this was not done. I paid for the test & all was okay, then the buyers couldn't get home insurance with an oil tank & I had to remove it. The township required there own inspection of the removed tank before it was taken away.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:29 AM

390 posts, read 1,510,004 times
Oil tanks are like enriched plutonium ... radioactive disaster waiting to happen.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:48 AM

75 posts, read 465,932 times
The contractor that removes the tank should send the soil samples from the tank pit area to a laboratory for analysis. If the samples come back in the acceptable range that is the only proof you need. Also if you are present you will be able to see and smell if the tank pit area contains petroleum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey