Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 12:08 PM

183 posts, read 500,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
12 feet ??

dude, I've never seen one less than 35 ft.
unless you're talking about an urban-ish
location...
I'm lost on this too. I can shovel 12 feet of driveway in less than ten minutes and I'm no kid. My driveway is about 60 feet long, plus a large turnaround area. I don't even own a snow blower (It would be nice, though.)

Btw, clearing the snow rather than driving on it isn't a bad idea, since it often starts to melt, then refreezes, leaving you with a nice ice sheet that takes a lot longer to disappear, is dangerous, and looks bad. Plus, you don't want all that ice ruining your paving over the years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 01:09 PM

825 posts, read 3,160,919 times
get a big powerful truck and a snowplow. you can also offer other people your services and make some $$$$ off of it.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:34 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
I don't know where you are looking to buy, but we had a long driveway in Sussex Cty. In the fall a farmer would come around and ask if we wanted to be on his "plow list" for the winter. He would come as soon as the snow hit 4", for $35.00 a plow. Well worth the price!

Old 04-01-2009, 02:12 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
it's a dealbreaker for me. i have no interest in dealing with plowing or maintaining a long, secluded driveway. I also don't like to be "that" removed from civilization (even if you have neighbors).

Old 04-01-2009, 02:20 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,687,483 times
Salt before snow or rain.

makes it easier.

But,
you got a while for any of that... ITS APRIL

Old 04-01-2009, 03:44 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,702,711 times
Shoveling? What's that?

Just pop the Jeep TJ in 4wd and go.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:46 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,888,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lets_hope_for_newbruns View Post
86sebring ,

yes, the driveway is horizontal and flat and paved (tar , I suppose). cool - so no need to bother about the snow removal as much.

stevemorse - Ummm....nice idea ... installing at the entrance , two lion scultures with water oozing from the mouth ...and beautiful garden welcoming you... I wish i was that rich to afford that... Why don't this government also provide you grants for such projects? LOL
Its part of soul healing

The tacky-meter just exploded.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:20 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,044,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumra View Post
on the upside you can use this issue to justify an ATV purchase and slap a plow on it.
+1. The ATV and plow are great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets_hope_for_newbruns View Post
Talk me about variances and legal issues please. No one will even know if I do not clean my driveway.
its that hidden.
Okay. Variances are dependent on the zoning for the property and what the township will permit within the zone. Check with the township to see the current zoning and elements such as setbacks, minimums for driveway width and length, buffers, and the like for the property first. If anything is out of conformance, talk with the zoning board rep to make sure the property is grandfathered or there are existing variances. If there are none (which is unlikely), find out how to go about securing them through the zoning board.

As for legal issues, keep in mind the following about keeping a driveway clear. If you decide not to keep is clear in the winter and there is any type of emergency (burglary, medical, fire, or anything else) it depends how the township rules are written. Example: here in South Brunswick, a neighbor of mine wound up with two tickets on Thanksgiving Day because the bumper of one of her cars was hanging two inches over the sidewalk. The officer claimed it was "impeding the sidewalk" and "causing a public danger." It's not snow related, but it shows you how little-known laws can be used against a homeowner to suit certain people's purposes.

Also, if you receive packages delivered by FedEx or UPS, while they will deliver, if the driver slips, falls, or even if everything is fine, the potential is there for a lawsuit.

Another legal issue to consider is where your property lines fall and how much overhang your trees that provide seclusion to the driveway may affect your neighbors, if at all.

You may also want to look into getting an arborist in just to make certain none of the trees are diseased or rotten. Nothing is worse then to have a good windstorm come along and uproot a tree that winds up blocking the driveway.

Hope this helps a bit.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:18 AM

563 posts, read 1,286,521 times
[quote=RUNYYfan;8148086].

Also, if you receive packages delivered by FedEx or UPS, while they will deliver, if the driver slips, falls, or even if everything is fine, the potential is there for a lawsuit.

You may also want to look into getting an arborist in just to make certain none of the trees are diseased or rotten. Nothing is worse then to have a good windstorm come along and uproot a tree that winds up blocking the driveway.

[quote]
Considering all these facts, one better lives in a condo on the upper east side-- The UPS driver can still fall down the stairs, though and there is always the chance of plantpot falling from a balcony...

Old 04-02-2009, 07:30 AM

329 posts, read 1,529,024 times
thanks Runnyfan that indeed helped me..86Sebring - i almost choked on my tea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey