Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2009, 09:39 PM

95 posts, read 520,354 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of buying a condo down near the culdesac end of Paterson Plank Rd in Secaucus (next to the Hackensack River). I'm a little concerned about two things and was wondering if anyone had some thoughts on the following:

1) the river. According to the FEMA maps, that area (as well as the majority of Secaucus) are in Flood Zone D, meaning "undetermined" if I remember correctly. Does anyone live in Secaucus and have an understanding why there has been no analysis on the area, and how that impacts required flood insurance? Is it a big risk living near the river compared to in-land more in the town? Is there a good resource I can go to for some more information?

2) There is a concrete factory of some sort at the end of the street. I wonder if it's loud or noisy during normal work hours. I'd be at work 99 times out of 100 so it wouldn't bother me personally, but I don't want this to bite me some years down the road when I go to sell. I'll take a day off from work and check it out myself if needbe, but thought it wouldn't hurt to check if anyone from the area knew about it.

Thanks,
Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 09:44 PM

11,337 posts, read 10,992,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtoneil View Post
I'm thinking of buying a condo down near the culdesac end of Paterson Plank Rd in Secaucus (next to the Hackensack River). I'm a little concerned about two things and was wondering if anyone had some thoughts on the following:

1) the river. According to the FEMA maps, that area (as well as the majority of Secaucus) are in Flood Zone D, meaning "undetermined" if I remember correctly. Does anyone live in Secaucus and have an understanding why there has been no analysis on the area, and how that impacts required flood insurance? Is it a big risk living near the river compared to in-land more in the town? Is there a good resource I can go to for some more information?

2) There is a concrete factory of some sort at the end of the street. I wonder if it's loud or noisy during normal work hours. I'd be at work 99 times out of 100 so it wouldn't bother me personally, but I don't want this to bite me some years down the road when I go to sell. I'll take a day off from work and check it out myself if needbe, but thought it wouldn't hurt to check if anyone from the area knew about it.

Thanks,
Mike
Concrete factories create lots of dust. It will cover your car and bbq and wind chimes. Your windows will also always be dirty. The dust can travel quite a distance from the plant. Check the area carefully.

Also, that section is almost all zone AE. Are you buying in Riverview Gardens or maybe the new construction across the street? Riverview Gardens is zone AE, so is 1627 Paterson Plank Rd. So I'm sure those new condos across from the Gardens are in an AE zone also. You will need flood insurance.

Make sure you become familiar with the smells over there also. The Hackensack River can transmogrify into noxiousness from time to time, especially around low tide. Maybe knock on a few doors in the Gardens and interview some of the residents.

Good luck!

-Marc

Last edited by Marc Paolella; 04-03-2009 at 10:27 PM..

Old 04-04-2009, 06:53 AM

95 posts, read 520,354 times
Marc, thanks! That's all good advice. And yes, it's the new construction across the street (@ 1627).

Old 06-01-2009, 08:45 PM

5 posts, read 16,334 times
Default Secaucus, NJ

Hi Mike, I am also looking into buying a condo on Green valley Ct. Did you close the deal with yoru Condo? I wanted to find out what your observations have been about the area. What do you think about the concrete factory?

Thanks,
AJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtoneil View Post

Thanks,
Mike

Old 06-01-2009, 10:20 PM

5,767 posts, read 16,526,998 times
FYI way before our time Paterson Plank Rd continued across the river on a wooden bridge that burned down sometime in the 1900's.

Not much detail but some history here:
Paterson Plank Road - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey