Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 12:57 PM

14 posts, read 84,847 times

Advertisements

Hi all! Im getting married and my fiance and I have been house hunting in Middlesex. We finally cam to the realization that the taxes and home values are just too high to get anything decent in our price range, so were looking at monmouth now. Hazlet particularly. I have heard union beach and keansburg are not so good areas, and am nervous cause its so close to hazlet. Any thoughts?

Old 04-08-2009, 01:48 PM

136 posts, read 722,979 times
There's nothing to be "nervous" about. You're not going to get shot or stabbed. You might just see a lot of people that are shall we say, blue collar, in your travels along the Route 36 corridor.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:54 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,684 times
I think I'm the resident Hazlet cheerleader.

I don't know anything about Keansburg but we were told the same thing when we were looking. I didn't hear bad things about Union Beach but it is very beachy. That's the reason we didn't go there, just a preference for houses. I haven't seen any run down houses or wolf packs (lol). It has a lot of houses that were converted from bungalows I think. I'm not able to describe it very well but to me it is like a beach community they way Keyport is historic. Nothing wrong with either, just not what we were looking for. I have friends that live there and love it and we are, basically, across the street from it. We've lived in Hazlet since August and absolutely love it. We have family that has lived here for 20 years and they're still very happy. I love that the police are always around and I haven't heard of or seen any problems at all. I also find that it's very convenient to a lot of different stores and supermarkets. I hate to spend all my free time in the car or running errands. Here everything is close by and I've found it to be peaceful and friendly.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:56 PM

49 posts, read 124,090 times
If you are worried, although you shouldn't be, try looking on the other side of 35, along Bethany Road, it is still Hazlet. There are plenty of homes on that side for sale. You will be close to Holmdel and Aberdeen.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:23 PM

14 posts, read 84,847 times
wow, thanks to everyone for their fast replies! Hazlet sounds great for us, and Ive def heard nothing but good reviews. I appreciate the input, and hopefully we find something out there.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:26 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
i have looked at a few homes in hazlet. my mother told me to avoid hazlet because of unsavory characters. it appears she is more concerned of the "white trash" type but she also noted that she saw a lot of asians and indians walking around when she drove through (she did say she has those in holmdel and doesnt mind them so much). i am wondering if she is right and i should avoid hazlet or not. the home is only a mile away from 35 which is a nice place for food and shopping.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:55 PM

my previous thread requesting help for me finding a suitable town was locked which was a shame because i appreciated the input. if i dont go hazlet, maybe i go with what i know (marlboro, morganville, manalapan). the only thing is the commute from brooklyn (by car) is a little rougher (nothing huge but i was hoping for an equal or better commute, not worse).

Old 06-19-2009, 01:03 PM

Have you spent any time just walking around the area? I walk a lot between 35 &36 and Union Ave and Middle Road. It certainly doesn't seem like white trash to me. I judge that by how people treat their houses and the kids and teenagers I see on the street. What impressed us was that the houses are immaculate and people are always out working in the garden or touching up something. They nod and smile when you walk by. When we replaced our porch fence and did some landscaping people stopped to tell us how nice it looked. When kids pass by on the street they will actually smile or say hello and move to let you through. I'm not saying everyone would love living there, but how someone could possibly say it's full of white trash is beyond me. Unless maybe she saw my husband's car?

Old 06-19-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
Have you spent any time just walking around the area? I walk a lot between 35 &36 and Union Ave and Middle Road. It certainly doesn't seem like white trash to me. I judge that by how people treat their houses and the kids and teenagers I see on the street. What impressed us was that the houses are immaculate and people are always out working in the garden or touching up something. They nod and smile when you walk by. When we replaced our porch fence and did some landscaping people stopped to tell us how nice it looked. When kids pass by on the street they will actually smile or say hello and move to let you through. I'm not saying everyone would love living there, but how someone could possibly say it's full of white trash is beyond me. Unless maybe she saw my husband's car?
i spend a decent amount in that general area because i visit my mother frequently and we go out to eat and shop on 35. the place where my mom lives and the place im looking at houses is only about 2 miles away but she is concerned it is still a large difference. im not really sure how much the town would impact my quality of life since aside from my immediate development and the school, i doubt id have much dealings around town. you could figure me as a yuppie type of person, not a blue collar type. im not looking to be a jerk but i do prefer to be around people like myself.

Old 06-19-2009, 02:01 PM

It feels like a middle class family area to me. We moved hoping to start a family and I'm not sure I'd have moved there otherwise. If I was young and single I don't think I would have wanted to move there. But, then I don't think Holmdel would do it for me under those circumstances either. I don't do a whole lot of socializing with my neighbors so I just wanted pleasant people who mostly mind their own business. If you're a "yuppie" like a nyc yuppie, I think Hazlet would be like a slow death for you. Shouldn't you be looking for "a walkable downtown"? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey