Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 11:32 AM

34 posts, read 143,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally posted by cyntmac

If you really felt uncomfortable your "husband" wouldn't have you looking there in the first place.
Very true! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 11:50 AM
zas

95 posts, read 283,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueyez84 View Post
We saw ones on Woodland ave, New st, Elmwood ave, Grove st, N Maple ave, Brookwood st.

Both houses on Woodland Ave are winners...I like that street
New St--- not so cool
Elmwood Ave, Grove St, & N Maple Ave---Busy
Brookwood St---- (near the park) perfect for young couple without kids

Old 04-09-2009, 05:59 PM

35 posts, read 176,513 times
Excuse me, if you read my original post it never said I was uncomfortable. I prefer to be in a place where there is more african americans and or hispanics in a town than white. In my experience, people of other races, other than mine, never had a problem with me, but that was just renting there. I just wanted to know how they would feel about me having a home in those towns & I am not familiar with east orange or orange. Obviously my husband is dominican and I don't have problem with him.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zas View Post
New St--- not so cool
Thank you Zas for being very informative.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:18 PM

825 posts, read 3,159,892 times
Quote:
Excuse me, if you read my original post it never said I was uncomfortable. I prefer to be in a place where there is more african americans and or hispanics in a town than white. In my experience, people of other races, other than mine, never had a problem with me, but that was just renting there. I just wanted to know how they would feel about me having a home in those towns & I am not familiar with east orange or orange. Obviously my husband is dominican and I don't have problem with him.
don't worry about that guy cyntmac. he gives me a hard time too.

but I'm confused. you prefer to live in an area that's mostly black or hispanic even tho you are white? ...why? it's cool that your husband is dominican and you don't have any problems with races that are not your own. and neither do i. but I always make the point that I would rather live in an area thats diverse, or an area that was comprised of mostly my own. wouldn't you rather live in a more diverse area like Montclair, Teaneck, or South Orange? for some reason you choose to live in an area that is regarded as unsafe by most Jerseyans, that is predominantly black.

I don't know. Call me racist or whatever, but it strikes me as odd as why you would want to live in an area like East Orange. i wouldn't dream in a million years of moving there. i don't have any problems with the area, in fact I've gone through East Orange without problems. but it just doesn't strike me as a good place to live.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zas View Post
New St--- not so cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by STrapani1105 View Post
don't worry about that guy cyntmac. he gives me a hard time too.

but I'm confused. you prefer to live in an area that's mostly black or hispanic even tho you are white? ...why? it's cool that your husband is dominican and you don't have any problems with races that are not your own. and neither do i. but I always make the point that I would rather live in an area thats diverse, or an area that was comprised of mostly my own. wouldn't you rather live in a more diverse area like Montclair, Teaneck, or South Orange? for some reason you choose to live in an area that is regarded as unsafe by most Jerseyans, that is predominantly black.

I don't know. Call me racist or whatever, but it strikes me as odd as why you would want to live in an area like East Orange. i wouldn't dream in a million years of moving there. i don't have any problems with the area, in fact I've gone through East Orange without problems. but it just doesn't strike me as a good place to live.

Since I was young, I never fit in with my own race, and even my mother has always told me that. I grew up in a very racist town and an extremely racist family. I hated that from day one. Whenever racists comments were made towards other races, I would always be the one to stick up and say something and lots of white people judged me for that. I remember putting boyz II men posters up in my room and my grandfather cursing at me for being a N lover. I hate that word N and I've never said it in my life to anyone or in conversation.

I am always approached by black or hispanic men and never white men. There could be a million white people at the mall and one black or hispanic men and they always come to me, and that's what I'm used to. This sounds like I'm bashing my own race, but I do not feel comfortable around my own people and they don't feel comfortable around me. Maybe its the way my body is shaped or some kind of vibe I put off, but with that being said, I like to be in a neighborhood where I feel comfortable in. I know its strange and not the typical things people do, but I apologize, this is how I acted since I was a young child. Maybe because I was abandoned as a child and was a misfit and no one loved me, so I stood up for the people who my community didn't love.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:40 PM

825 posts, read 3,159,892 times
Quote:
Since I was young, I never fit in with my own race, and even my mother has always told me that. I grew up in a very racist town and an extremely racist family. I hated that from day one. Whenever racists comments were made towards other races, I would always be the one to stick up and say something and lots of white people judged me for that. I remember putting boyz II men posters up in my room and my grandfather cursing at me for being a N lover. I hate that word N and I've never said it in my life to anyone or in conversation.

I am always approached by black or hispanic men and never white men. There could be a million white people at the mall and one black or hispanic men and they always come to me, and that's what I'm used to. This sounds like I'm bashing my own race, but I do not feel comfortable around my own people and they don't feel comfortable around me. Maybe its the way my body is shaped or some kind of vibe I put off, but with that being said, I like to be in a neighborhood where I feel comfortable in. I know its strange and not the typical things people do, but I apologize, this is how I acted since I was a young child. Maybe because I was abandoned as a child and was a misfit and no one loved me, so I stood up for the people who my community didn't love.
well... I guess that makes sense. I'm sorry. well hey, best of luck to you and your husband finding a home in the area.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:03 AM

34 posts, read 140,837 times
LOL at the people who are encouraging you to move to East Orange. Why not just move to Newark? It has a lot more Hispanics than East Orange and probablly more ammenities, either way your going to be living in the hood. If you don't believe me then watch Gangland's special on East orange that shows how the east coast bloods started there and how gangs rule the city.

And you are racist not matter how much you deny that. If someone said "I've never felt comfortable around black people, and they don't feel comfortable around me." that person would be branded a racist.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:16 PM

593 posts, read 1,660,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D3000 View Post
I don't know? lol

What I've learned is if you act like you’re scared, people will treat you as an outsider and a punk just for the hell of it.

This pretty girl Italian girl I knew who went to Seton Hall would frequently drive around in East Orange in her convertible BMW with the top down and would stop at this one seedy corner store for gum and phone cards. She was so well known that the shadiest of characters and young teens would say "what's up" to her and talk with her because they saw her around so much. It shocked the hell out of me. I’m no punk and even if I owned a convertible I sure as hell wouldn’t ride around with my top down in East Orange or leave it down when I went into a store. lol

Nobody ever bothered her or her car. I don't know why, maybe it's because she was nice to them or she was pretty or because she honestly didn't care and did what she wanted to do and walked through the town like she owned the place, that girl had balls.

I told her they probably think your some drug dealers girlfriend or undercover cop so they leave you alone. She yelled at me for my simple minded comment. lol

Either way good luck.

LMAO.. you dayum well know she was up to no good. That's obvious.

But my take on it though is if you do have the money move elsewhere. East Orange isn't what it used to be. Even the areas that look nice I wouldn't be comfortable with.

Last edited by angerinthenation; 04-23-2009 at 07:25 PM..

Old 06-10-2009, 06:15 AM

12 posts, read 45,333 times
Default Move to East Orange

That area of East Orange is very nice and police patrolled if it would make you feel any better. The mayor also lives on Woodland. The taxes are very high. That's a crime within itself. You take risk no matter where you live, even in the so-called good areas of West Orange and Montclair. Unfortunately, you can't kill the spirit of wickedness in people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey