U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 04:41 PM

4 posts, read 28,706 times

Advertisements

Guys I am extremely confused about which college I should go to.

First let me give you some background info on me. I have 3 ppl in my family, dad, me, and a little bro. Dad only makes 50k a year and we still have a mortgage on the house. Money is an issue, although not the major deciding factor, dad says that he would pay more if it means getting a better education. Additionally, I would like to be home to help take care of my lil bro, put less burden on my dad, so I will be commuting.

I want to go into engineering, not sure what type but probably mechanical or computer. Also I really want to be in an environment where I can make some friends that are of the same race as me, I am an indian (south asian) male.

On to colleges:

NJIT Honors: I got a full ride as NJIT and got into the honors program. It is about a 45 minute drive from my house.

Rutgers: I didn't get into the honors program, and I don't think I got a scholarship either (there was a problem with my application they needed some more info for the scholarship so it is delayed I should find out within another week or two). Rutgers is also 15-20 minutes away from my house.

I don't know where to go and its really frustrating. I came here because the people here seem smart and more helpful than those at college confidential, I asked for help there to and no one has replied in over a month...

Thanks for your help guys and sorry for the long post.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 04:56 PM

4,196 posts, read 9,964,218 times
NJIT is better academically.

I would definitely go to NJIT if you aren't going to be staying on campus. seems like a no brainer if your in an honor's program and have a scholarship....

it would be more of a decision if you werent going to be living at home. NJIT has a lot of nerdy computer guys going there. And there is something like a 5:1 ratio of guys to girls at NJIT.

Whereas Rutgers has a lot of things to do with sports teams, frats, partys, etc, etc.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:56 PM

7,577 posts, read 21,469,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AryanR View Post

First let me give you some background info on me. I have 3 ppl in my family, dad, me, and a little bro. Dad only makes 50k a year and we still have a mortgage on the house. Money is an issue, although not the major deciding factor, dad says that he would pay more if it means getting a better education. Additionally, I would like to be home to help take care of my lil bro, put less burden on my dad, so I will be commuting.

I want to go into engineering, not sure what type but probably mechanical or computer. Also I really want to be in an environment where I can make some friends that are of the same race as me, I am an indian (south asian) male.

On to colleges:

NJIT Honors: I got a full ride as NJIT and got into the honors program. It is about a 45 minute drive from my house.

Rutgers: I didn't get into the honors program, and I don't think I got a scholarship either (there was a problem with my application they needed some more info for the scholarship so it is delayed I should find out within another week or two). Rutgers is also 15-20 minutes away from my house.

I don't know where to go and its really frustrating. I came here because the people here seem smart and more helpful than those at college confidential, I asked for help there to and no one has replied in over a month...

Thanks for your help guys and sorry for the long post.
NJIT hands down!

Old 04-08-2009, 05:11 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,105,675 times
Congratulations! You seem like a fine young man and I wish you all the best in your studies. Whichever place you decide upon will be lucky to have you--and it seems like NJIT really wants you.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:16 PM

329 posts, read 1,471,966 times
Congratulations!!

Theres plenty of international students whichever university you go to. Apparently universities are filled with more international people as the locals these days have no money LOL. Whether you go to NJIT or RU you will find plenty of indians and asians in both places.

Also I hear Rutgers is more social than NJIT. Appears to me you would like to stay away from such crowd and focus more on your academics. They both have great computer science program. But I don't know why I think Rutgers is a better brand.I mean who knows about NJIT? I don't know any students doing C.S / eng in both places nor do I know much about how education system works here, so please take my advice with a grain of salt. Moreover, I believe whereever you are ultimately , its up to you to come out shining with just a little bit of guidance. I mean no body can teach you logic. It should come to you spontaneously.

Last edited by lets_hope_for_newbruns; 04-08-2009 at 08:38 PM..

Old 04-08-2009, 08:35 PM

610 posts, read 943,219 times
As a Rutgers alum, I'm telling you, go to NJIT. Quality of the schools are pretty close but you can't beat a full ride. There's no substitute for a free education. Besides, the reality is, you are probably going to use the same textbooks regardless of where you go. College has gotten way too expensive. You have the opportunity of a lifetime to graduate with no debt at all. If Rutgers comes knocking with the same deal, then I would say go to RU because they offer more options if you feel like you want to change career paths. I've seen way too many kids graduate with 5 figure debt in student loans to ever tell anyone to pass up a free ride.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:42 PM

329 posts, read 1,471,966 times
great point. somone was saying Obama just paid of his education loan in full.

going wayward now as I can't help but state this:
not sure how true that story is because one other group said he got a free ride by muslims because he had muslim origin. Hehehehe....

Did they release any of his transcripts from the university? Was he as bright academically as they all claim he is?

Old 04-08-2009, 09:21 PM

2,771 posts, read 5,933,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AryanR View Post

I think you'll find plenty of Indian guys at Rutgers, I know you will at NJIT (almost everyone in the masters CS program, for example)

I'd suggest reading up about this, US news has university rankings.

I'd vote for Rutgers, but I'm biased, and not that familiar with engineering programs -- so take this with a grain of salt.

I did my PhD at Rutgers Newark, and NJIT struck me as more of a trade school than a university. Get a CS degree and you'll be able to get a decent job, but my impression was that their students are weak, and several of the undergrad courses are taught by adjuncts whose qualifications are questionable (referring to CS here). Also, Newark is a pretty gloomy environment to study in, so that's a point for Rutgers (assuming you mean New Brunswick)

Old 04-08-2009, 09:24 PM

2,771 posts, read 5,933,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoakman View Post
As a Rutgers alum, I'm telling you, go to NJIT. Quality of the schools are pretty close but you can't beat a full ride. There's no substitute for a free education. Besides, the reality is, you are probably going to use the same textbooks regardless of where you go. College has gotten way too expensive. You have the opportunity of a lifetime to graduate with no debt at all. If Rutgers comes knocking with the same deal, then I would say go to RU because they offer more options if you feel like you want to change career paths. I've seen way too many kids graduate with 5 figure debt in student loans to ever tell anyone to pass up a free ride.
Good point. If he has an engineering degree from one or the other, he'll be able to get a decent job at the end either way, and start with less debt if he goes with NJIT.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:26 PM

4,196 posts, read 9,964,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
I think you'll find plenty of Indian guys at Rutgers, I know you will at NJIT (almost everyone in the masters CS program, for example)

I'd suggest reading up about this, US news has university rankings.

I'd vote for Rutgers, but I'm biased, and not that familiar with engineering programs -- so take this with a grain of salt.

I did my PhD at Rutgers Newark, and NJIT struck me as more of a trade school than a university. Get a CS degree and you'll be able to get a decent job, but my impression was that their students are weak, and several of the undergrad courses are taught by adjuncts whose qualifications are questionable (referring to CS here). Also, Newark is a pretty gloomy environment to study in, so that's a point for Rutgers (assuming you mean New Brunswick)

NJIT grads make great money if they are a well adjusted individual... there are a lot of socially awkward people there. Computer nerds who play World of Warcraft 15 hours a day and have never been on a date. Those are the people who will have trouble getting a job.

If he is a normal guy and goes to NJIT and gets a degree in computer engineering, he will get a great job in no time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey