Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 08:24 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Speaking specifically about LBI - since the widening by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, the beaches are amazingly wide, beautiful soft sand. Better than when I was in OBX in April.
I don't really go to LBI much and don't have that much experience with it. But someone I know that I follow on Instagram went last week to Surf City and posted pictures of her beachfront house. It was so beautiful, there was a private wooden walkway and stairs over the dunes like you'll see in the OBX and the sand was so white. It reminded me of the whole OBX look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 08:36 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I don't really go to LBI much and don't have that much experience with it. But someone I know that I follow on Instagram went last week to Surf City and posted pictures of her beachfront house. It was so beautiful, there was a private wooden walkway and stairs over the dunes like you'll see in the OBX and the sand was so white. It reminded me of the whole OBX look.
Yes. I go to Ship Bottom, a few blocks from Surf City and it's exactly as you describe.

Old 07-19-2016, 01:28 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Yeah NJ beaches really suck:

IMG_2115_zpsdtr3osl3.jpg Photo by tahiti99999 | Photobucket

IMG_2114_zpsqal0bprt.jpg Photo by tahiti99999 | Photobucket

IMG_2116_zpsjswvtzqm.jpg Photo by tahiti99999 | Photobucket

Old 07-19-2016, 03:46 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,196,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Depends on the beach. Some of those people are from PA, NY and OH. Don't forget the Canadians.
Well I did say "mostly".

Old 07-19-2016, 04:34 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
I was in Asbury today. The water was very clear and quite warm. The beach itself was very clean. I didn't notice any trash at all personally. It wasn't too crowded, either. If it weren't so windy (and wind came from the west so yes some biting flies), it would have been a perfect day.

Old 07-19-2016, 05:23 PM

5,068 posts, read 2,278,237 times
I think it depends on the town, and what you're wanting from the beach. We've been to Duck and Kill Devil Hills in NC, Stone Harbor in NJ, for vacations. We're not looking for boardwalk types of activities (though we do have kids) when we're taking the week-long vacation. Honestly, aside from two days in Duck where we got a land breeze, rather than an ocean breeze, there's pretty much no difference aside from the drive time.

Both states beaches, at least in these towns, are clean and fairly uncrowded. You can rent sailboats and jet skis, lots of nice shops in town. Food is mediocre to good.

For day trips, we usually head to Lavallette (sp?), then Seaside Heights for a couple rides before heading home. I would never to to SH for the beach. Too crowded, too far from the water, very rowdy element.

Old 07-20-2016, 09:14 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,873,444 times

NJ beaches are great on their own. No need to compare them to NC.

IMO, NC beaches are more natural/unspoiled. When my kids were younger, they really enjoyed the tidal pools that form on the beach when the tides changed.

If I were living in NJ, I wouldn't necessarily plan family beach vacations in NC over NJ.

Now, if we are talking Charleston or Hilton Head, that is a different story.

Old 07-20-2016, 02:02 PM

32,937 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
NJ beaches are great on their own. No need to compare them to NC.

IMO, NC beaches are more natural/unspoiled. When my kids were younger, they really enjoyed the tidal pools that form on the beach when the tides changed.

If I were living in NJ, I wouldn't necessarily plan family beach vacations in NC over NJ.

Now, if we are talking Charleston or Hilton Head, that is a different story.
I would say that North Carolina has more natural, unspoiled beaches then New Jersey. It's amazing that New Jersey has any left, but they do. Other than the obvious Gateway National Recreation Area/Sandy Hook and Island Beach State Park, there's Edwin B. Forsythe National Wildlife Refuge, Holgate Division on the southern end of Long Beach Island and Corson's Inlet State Park. Cape May has three natural areas side by side just west of town.

When I lived in North Carolina, I went to their beaches, and they have some very nice beaches. I didn't feel the the need to vacation in Florida because "their beaches are so much better."

Old 07-21-2016, 07:10 AM

5,153 posts, read 3,760,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
I think it depends on the town, and what you're wanting from the beach. We've been to Duck and Kill Devil Hills in NC, Stone Harbor in NJ, for vacations. We're not looking for boardwalk types of activities (though we do have kids) when we're taking the week-long vacation. Honestly, aside from two days in Duck where we got a land breeze, rather than an ocean breeze, there's pretty much no difference aside from the drive time.

Both states beaches, at least in these towns, are clean and fairly uncrowded. You can rent sailboats and jet skis, lots of nice shops in town. Food is mediocre to good.

For day trips, we usually head to Lavallette (sp?), then Seaside Heights for a couple rides before heading home. I would never to to SH for the beach. Too crowded, too far from the water, very rowdy element.

Sandy Hook is a world unto itself. There's drinking on that beach and I never really felt like going in that water. Cross between a bay and the ocean and it never felt/looked too clean. Unless beer was on the menu we headed down to Point Pleasant. Much cleaner.

Old 07-24-2016, 08:28 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,478,770 times
I'm going to holden beach so I'm going to go see what the hype is all about. I'm actually kind of dreading going there. there's no boardwalk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey