U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 05:18 PM

10 posts, read 39,044 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have a 13 yr old with Aspergers syndrome (high functioning, good academics) and we are relocating to Central Jersey this summer. We are looking into Princeton and West Windsor school districts. He is doing well in a very small private school here in Florida. Does anyone have any advice on private vs public school in both these areas?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 08:07 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,382,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amsmom View Post
Hi,

I have a 13 yr old with Aspergers syndrome (high functioning, good academics) and we are relocating to Central Jersey this summer. We are looking into Princeton and West Windsor school districts. He is doing well in a very small private school here in Florida. Does anyone have any advice on private vs public school in both these areas?

Thanks
Princeton and West Windsor have good schools, I don't have first hand knowledge of their special services but you can check out these sites-

Student Services

special education pto princeton

West Windsor-Plainsboro Regional School District (http://www.west-windsor-plainsboro.k12.nj.us/specialservices.html - broken link)

You might want to contact the directors of the Special Services and discuss your childs' particular needs.

If they don't work for you, there are a number of private schools in the area-

Mercer County Private Schools - New Jersey/NJ - Private School Review

Good luck with your search and welcome to New Jersey!

Old 04-16-2009, 10:34 PM

Thanks JerseyJ. This really helped and I was able to call and speak with some well informed parents from the PTO website.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:34 AM

2 posts, read 7,823 times
West Windsor does have a program for autistic children, they also have something called "The Academy" which is like an alternative track for students struggling with classes due to depression, anxiety, etc. It is a wonderful program. I know they are involved with autistic services within the school, definitely call and ask for more information.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:17 AM

3 posts, read 10,976 times
Hello AMSMOM,
I was wondering how your research into schools (Princeton-West Windsor) for special needs turned out? I am in a similar situation at the moment. We are considering moving to NJ and are looking (primarily) into Princeton. How did you go about your research and what did you find? I'm a bit overwhelmed, since the primary reason for moving is for the schools & it's not easy to find information re. how schools are for special ed.
Thanks,
MG (btw, funny that we both have "ams" in our user name)!

Old 06-21-2009, 03:25 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,271,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGAMS View Post
Hello AMSMOM,
I was wondering how your research into schools (Princeton-West Windsor) for special needs turned out? I am in a similar situation at the moment. We are considering moving to NJ and are looking (primarily) into Princeton. How did you go about your research and what did you find? I'm a bit overwhelmed, since the primary reason for moving is for the schools & it's not easy to find information re. how schools are for special ed.
Thanks,
MG (btw, funny that we both have "ams" in our user name)!
WW and Plainsboro are well-known for special education, maybe even better than Princeton. Good luck.

Old 06-28-2009, 01:42 PM

Hi MGAMS,
I wrote you a reply to your question above but not sure if you got it as it is not appearing in this thread.
Anyway just to summarize we have decided to go with the Princeton regional school dist after speaking with special ed school personnel and parents at both West Windsor and Princeton school dist.
Best of luck with your decision.
Amsmom

Old 01-26-2010, 07:45 PM

68 posts, read 434,071 times
Are you still happy with that decision? Looking to move in May with 12 year old aspie....

Old 01-26-2010, 07:46 PM

68 posts, read 434,071 times
oh, and any specific contacts there? any budget cut conerns? Soooo much to consider! thanks!

Old 03-09-2010, 11:46 AM

3 posts, read 13,772 times
Hi....interestingly I am in the same situation! i have two boys (9 and 10 years old) who are in private special ed schools in manhattan. we are moving to nj and princeton public schools are high on our list. can you tell me what you think so far re: your choice?

and, if anyone has insight into the chathams school district...that would be very much appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: