Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2009, 07:45 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,024,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
I think it is objectionalble that one group is excluded and am suprised anyone is defending the the fact that whites are the only group specifically denied an opportunity for this scholarship.
Actually whites don't appear to be denied at all. Just that 80% of the grant is to be designated for specific groups.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:45 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,134 times
Most people I know have never believed this country to be color-blind to begin with. That is why we supposedly had AA to begin with. Scholarships are designated for all sorts of categories-nothing new. It is legal and in this case we are talking private$$.
Keep in mind also that in this case- 1 million is not designated. There is no law requiring that either- again private money in this case.

Some people consider inheritance/nepotism and legacy to be the greatest AA of all.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:50 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
Any scholarship directed at one group omits another.

A scholarship for men omits one group - women.
A scholarship for women omits one group - men.
A scholarship for the families of 9/11 victims omits those who aren't but I don't think anyone would be upset.

The person who made the incredible gift of $5million decided that he or she wanted 80% of it to go to groups that he or she thought (whether rightly or wrongly) were underserved by the university education system - women and/or minorities. The type of minority isn't even described, it could in fact be Latinos, it could be Creoles from Louisiana, who I believe to be white. Truth be told, I don't know their exact criteria for decision making and neither do you, and neither does the OP.

This has NOTHING to do with affirmative action, and for the record I actually agree that AA if it exists at all should be means based rather than racially based, to truly serve the needy.

This is an issue of an incredibly generous person who is now being used to score points. A person who could in fact be a White Christian Male for all we know.
I didn't mention affirmative action, a thread on that topic based in facts and debated in good humor without vitriole would be fun.

You are quite correct the scholarship doesn't say who is eligible it only says who is ineleigble, which is everyone except white men. Look at my post using the continent scenario, I am sure you would rightly find this offensive. This scholarship is no different.

Again no one cares about schoalrships aimed at women or men.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:51 PM

Yes I agree this was not about Afirm Action (not in this case), but it was turned into that almost from the start of the discussion.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:54 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,273,731 times
Quote:
I think it is objectionalble that one group is excluded and am suprised anyone is defending the the fact that whites are the only group specifically denied an opportunity for this scholarship.
Then I hope that you are equally outraged at all of those "white" parents who pay for their child's college education instead of offering to make their personal resources available to minorities, to avoid "excluding" any specific group !

Quote:
My biggest concern about these things is I really believe it moves us away from a color/sex/sexual identity/religion etc. blind society.
How so ? If minorities are undeserving beneficiaries, how does this exacerbate existing inequalities and injustices ? Are you arguing that minorities have privileged access to greater opportunities than others ?

Old 04-16-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Again no one cares about schoalrships aimed at women or men.
It might seem that way but this is city-data and lots of posters have a huge problem with that too and frequently there is little humor in the discussion.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
Yes I agree this was not about Afirm Action (not in this case), but it was turned into that almost from the start of the discussion.

I agree that's why it is unfortunate that this scholarship was worded the way it was and that it was accepted by the university. It was sure to offend and arouse people who feel, right or wrong, agreived. Whites (for the most part) tend to be very sensitive to the perceptions of minorities, especially with the use of laguage. A politician not long ago was racked through the coals for using the word *****rdly (here is the definition lest some equally dumb person is offended define:*****rdly - Google Search
I don't think it is too much to ask that the same thoughtfulness be extended to everyone.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
Then I hope that you are equally outraged at all of those "white" parents who pay for their child's college education instead of offering to make their personal resources available to minorities, to avoid "excluding" any specific group !

How so ? If minorities are undeserving beneficiaries, how does this exacerbate existing inequalities and injustices ? Are you arguing that minorities have privileged access to greater opportunities than others ?

This is the reason I stopped posting, non sequiters and either unintentional or intentional misunderstanding what was posted.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
I agree that's why it is unfortunate that this scholarship was worded the way it was and that it was accepted by the university. It was sure to offend and arouse people who feel, right or wrong, agreived. Whites (for the most part) tend to be very sensitive to the perceptions of minorities, especially with the use of laguage. A politician not long ago was racked through the coals for using the word *****rdly (here is the definition lest some equally dumb person is offended define:*****rdly - Google Search
I don't think it is too much to ask that the same thoughtfulness be extended to everyone.

Wow see what I mean, even C-D is sensitive.

Last edited by shorebaby; 04-16-2009 at 09:25 PM..

Old 04-16-2009, 08:05 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,273,731 times
Quote:
This is the reason I stopped posting, non sequiters and either unintentional or intentional misunderstanding what was posted.
I'm not accusing you of anything, and my comment wasn't directed at you specifically.

My point is that it seems many are up in arms about this on the grounds of "fairness", but there is a lot of unfairness (most of which favours people with privileged backgrounds, who are more likely to be white than black), and most of the people who are up in arms about the donation that was the subject of this thread, are not up in arms about the sort of "unfairness" that maintains the existing social hierarchy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey