U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 06:32 PM

5 posts, read 9,943 times

Advertisements

i was recently ticketed for speeding. i wasnt speeding, but thats not the point, anyway the cop never actually pulled me over, he was on the oppisite side of the street, there are 2 lanes. one going north < the right late where i was> and the southbound lane on the left where he was. the guy never flashed his lights. he was in the middle of the road, pointed to my car, and motioned for me to move my car over to the side of the road, thats when he said i was speeding. going 41 in a 25. can a cop do this? it didnt seem right to me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 07:45 PM

199 posts, read 320,390 times
Sounds like he may have had someone else working the laser or the laser went off in his car. This would be my only explanation, unless you're absolutely positive you weren't speeding. speeding. They wouldn't give someone a ticket for no reason at all.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:50 PM

121 posts, read 212,253 times
Wow sounds similar to me when this cop followed me home and never used his lights or siren. And he pulled me over in front of my house and said i was speeding and out running him

Old 04-19-2009, 08:01 PM

3,828 posts, read 6,057,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actorguy8 View Post
i was recently ticketed for speeding. i wasnt speeding, but thats not the point, anyway the cop never actually pulled me over, he was on the oppisite side of the street, there are 2 lanes. one going north < the right late where i was> and the southbound lane on the left where he was. the guy never flashed his lights. he was in the middle of the road, pointed to my car, and motioned for me to move my car over to the side of the road, thats when he said i was speeding. going 41 in a 25. can a cop do this? it didnt seem right to me
I am certified in radar. The newest radar units are handheld about the size of a gun and they are extremely accurate. They just point it at your vehicle and it works. It doesn't matter what side of the road he was or his vehicle was positioned. Your only defense was and is, did he have a clear line of view of your car and were there any other cars between you and him that were moving. If the answer is no your dead in the water in fighting it. Good luck anyway. JM

Old 04-19-2009, 08:02 PM

2,696 posts, read 4,729,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJphillyfan View Post
They wouldn't give someone a ticket for no reason at all.
This NJ not Mary Poppins Land. Make sure you go to court and get the violation reduced as much as possible, but the fine will be more money.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:03 PM

365 posts, read 760,109 times
It's happened to me in the past, except I was speeding. One officer read my speed, another further up the road flagged me over. It's a fairly common practice in higher populated areas.

You have the right to take it to court if you feel you were cited in error. I've done this as well. As a heads up... if it's under $100.00 it's cheaper in the long run to just pay the ticket & let it go. I fought an $85.00 ticket & won, but in the end, the time lost at work hurt much more.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:38 PM

47 posts, read 78,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actorguy8 View Post
What does the "equipment" area on the bottom of the ticket say - meaning what is it marked as - if it's still the same it should say Helicopter, Pace, Speed Measurement Device or EBTD?

You probably got banged from another one running a speed trap then they called ahead to pull you over. Just go to court and take the "unsafe driving" plea they will give you for no points with a fine +surcharge. Your word vs. the cops in court will not fly. Don't just plead guilty, take the no points with higher amount now so your insurance does not increase down the road. You could go the route of getting a lawyer but they will get you the same outcome, don't bother wasting the money unless your license is already in jeopardy.

Then take it as a lesson learned and invest in a good radar detector for normal driving and a good laser jammer for parts of the parkway/turnpike. 25mph zones are pretty much revenue boosters for the town - protect yourself first.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:35 PM

99 posts, read 255,604 times
I got nailed in Suffern, NY a few years back in a mass traffic stop on 202. The cops pulled over a half-dozen cars and I was one of them. I was told I was doing "45" in a "35." There is no 35. And since I spent 90% of my time in 202 in a line of slowing cars approaching a mass traffic stop, I had no idea where they even "got" me doing 45 or if it was physically possible. The cop even laughed it off, saying "don't sweat it, you'll just pay a parking ticket."

Hired a lawyer since it was my 2nd ticket in (1) month in Suffern after not having gotten a ticket in over 15 years. I had it reduced to a moving violation. I couldn't understand why the thing couldn't just be thrown out - a mass stop for an imaginary speed limit seemed totally bogus - but the lawyer insisted that the judge would just consider the incorrect limit a clerical error and everything else was my word vs. the cops.

I'm sure quite a few people are guilty (and it never seems like the guilty people are getting nailed), but these scenarios can be pretty frustrating.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:30 PM

thing is, and i should have mentioned this before, i used to live in nj, moved to ga last year for a job, got my ga license/imsurance and all that. but now im back in nj.but still have my ga license, in 10.5 years driving i was never pulled over for anything, not even a speeding ticket. i moved back to nj from ga and suddenly get 2 tickets. i could be reaching, but i dont have a front license plate as ga doesnt require it, i feel like im a walking target got cops now when im in my car. i put the car on cruise control and make sure to be going the speed limit or a little above. lets face facts, not everyone is guilty of what the cops say they did. buy its not like i can get this thrown out, its a cops word vs my word and even though im a nice and honest guy that doesnt mean anything. i guess ill just pay the fine. its only 105. also one last thing. the court date was listed as 5pm. is that correct? i thought most courts open in the morning like 9am.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:37 PM

the first ticket in nj occured when i came back in dec 08. but for some reason that ticket never appeared on my ga license or insurance, anyone know why
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey