Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 06:07 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,976,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by angerinthenation View Post
Okay, buddy. Most people with guns in their home end up shooting themselves or one of their own instead of an intruder.
I'd still feel a little safer with a gun when i'm being chased around my house by an intruder with a baseball bat ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 06:09 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,976,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EB2 View Post
And while you may not fancy it, if it's your only means of protection, well, I don't know about you, but I'm going to do my best to take the person down with the knife, rather than my own hands, to keep safe. I'm not going to sprawl myself out on the floor, offering myself to them for harm.
Unless you've got a knife like Crocodile Dundee I'm opting for a gun !!!

Old 04-22-2009, 06:14 PM

668 posts, read 2,187,122 times
You get a lot of Country folks who never lock thier doors, because they have enough dogs, (Im talking people who farm for a living), and if anyone or thing would come next to the house, the dogs would either tear them up, or alert the people in the house. Then, you can bet, they would be well armed, because the Sheririff is the only one who would come to thier aide and he/she would be well over an hour or so away in some other part of the County, so the Farmers would simply take care of a prowler by themselves, and give the body to the local Constable afterwards!

Me? Everyone knows how to fire a firearm in my house, and I like to keep all my firearms loaded! So, if someone breaks in, there is always someone close to a weapon...And I simply tell everyone, shoot to kill...DONT MAIME THEM, because that creates lawsuits, and a dead man wont sue you for anything!

Just my take on the matter... I am keeping my family safe, as I am instructed to...

May the LORD Bless each person I send to HIM!

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 04-22-2009, 07:33 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Like seque, I have forgotten to lock my door on occasion. It doesn't happen often, but still not good.

A couple of years ago, someone harassed my neighbor for months. Someone would ring her doorbell late at night. They did this 1-3 times a week...for months. The police were at her house weekly. Her husband used to hide in the side yard shrubs hoping to catch the guy. He chased him a couple of times, but the guy got away. Being stalked is really very disquieting.

...you wake up in the middle of the night, you don't know why. The other side of the bed is empty, husband out of town on business. You lie there for a long time, listening...listening and hearing the occasional noise which doesn't make sense, doesn't fit. It's not the air conditioner, not the refrigerator cycling on, not the neighbor coming home late. You wonder if you are conjuring demons because you are alone. But you are not alone; there's a small child across the hall, sleeping, dreaming, mine. The very quiet but discordant noises continue. Why is the gun safe across the hallway in the spare bedroom?

Cautiously make my way across the vulnerable top of the steps, open the safe, choose the weapon - the shotgun - grab the box of shells. My husband told me that if whatever it is doesn't stop coming when it hears the 'chu chunk' of a shotgun round being chambered, shoot it.

I stand just inside of the bedroom doorway, listening. I should probably call the police, but I'm still not sure what I'm hearing. The upstairs hall is dark; the lower level illuminated by night lights; I can see the enemy but he can't see me. My worst nightmare has presented itself; I can hear the doorknobs being tested, the foot fall on the deck, quiet conference, conversation, in the side yard. I call the police, wait, wait...

Old 04-22-2009, 07:59 PM

593 posts, read 1,660,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
I'd still feel a little safer with a gun when i'm being chased around my house by an intruder with a baseball bat ?
Have you ever been robbed before? I'm curious to know why you feel so threatened. Where do you live? I find it really ridiculous that you who probably live in a nice suburb with low crime feel so unsafe where you need a gun. Who's coming for you?

This is why I actually see why people are saying that people shouldn't be entitled to guns because most of the time, people aren't using them like how they're supposed to be used. It's mostly used over bull*****. First off, you need to check out your paranoia buddy and tell yourself who in the world is out to get you because as far as i'm concerned. Nobody knows you and unless you're doing something you're not supposed to be doing, you should be alright. Stay out of other people's business, don't go looking for any trouble and follow the law. You might be a victim of a crime anytime in your lifetime but do not let that stop you from breathing. Just like you can simply injury yourself in the shower from slipping on a bar of soap or getting into a freak accident like tripping down your stairs. Are you going to let that stop you from just taking a shower or walking down your stairs?

I'm not saying that you can't be a victim of a crime but you are making yourself look like a fool being overparanoid like this. I would expect this paranoia talk to come from somebody that lives in a bad neighborhood and I know plenty of people that live in them and certainly do not think like you.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:56 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Okay, buddy. Most people with guns in their home end up shooting themselves or one of their own instead of an intruder.

you really have no right to have a gun.
1. thats a completely false statement.

2. actually we do have the right to have a gun, its in the constitution.

3. to the others who say that you shouldnt need a gun, i will say that it only takes 1 time for your life to be ruined. if you dont care about your children, wife, pets then by all means dont get a gun. i care, i will always have weapons handy and keep them loaded and ready to use. it only takes one time.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:26 AM

512 posts, read 1,755,093 times
Lonegan wants to make it easier for us to get CCL permits, etc. We have a lousy gun system in state, which may account for some high crime in certain areas.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:52 AM

5,340 posts, read 13,951,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkingmenace View Post
You get a lot of Country folks who never lock thier doors, because they have enough dogs, (Im talking people who farm for a living), and if anyone or thing would come next to the house, the dogs would either tear them up, or alert the people in the house. Then, you can bet, they would be well armed, because the Sheririff is the only one who would come to thier aide and he/she would be well over an hour or so away in some other part of the County, so the Farmers would simply take care of a prowler by themselves, and give the body to the local Constable afterwards!

Me? Everyone knows how to fire a firearm in my house, and I like to keep all my firearms loaded! So, if someone breaks in, there is always someone close to a weapon...And I simply tell everyone, shoot to kill...DONT MAIME THEM, because that creates lawsuits, and a dead man wont sue you for anything!

Just my take on the matter... I am keeping my family safe, as I am instructed to...

May the LORD Bless each person I send to HIM!

I wish you well...

Jesse
OK the shooting to kill and wishing well to Jesus in the same post is really hurting my head......

Old 04-23-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Have you ever been robbed before? I'm curious to know why you feel so threatened. Where do you live? I find it really ridiculous that you who probably live in a nice suburb with low crime feel so unsafe where you need a gun. Who's coming for you?

This is why I actually see why people are saying that people shouldn't be entitled to guns because most of the time, people aren't using them like how they're supposed to be used. It's mostly used over bull*****. First off, you need to check out your paranoia buddy and tell yourself who in the world is out to get you because as far as i'm concerned. Nobody knows you and unless you're doing something you're not supposed to be doing, you should be alright. Stay out of other people's business, don't go looking for any trouble and follow the law. You might be a victim of a crime anytime in your lifetime but do not let that stop you from breathing. Just like you can simply injury yourself in the shower from slipping on a bar of soap or getting into a freak accident like tripping down your stairs. Are you going to let that stop you from just taking a shower or walking down your stairs?

I'm not saying that you can't be a victim of a crime but you are making yourself look like a fool being overparanoid like this. I would expect this paranoia talk to come from somebody that lives in a bad neighborhood and I know plenty of people that live in them and certainly do not think like you.
Applause.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljaybird View Post
Lonegan wants to make it easier for us to get CCL permits, etc. We have a lousy gun system in state, which may account for some high crime in certain areas.
Lonegan has as much chance as winning as my great Aunt Tilly....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey