Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 04:11 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davey123 View Post
Let me say that the speed limit is 60 mph and someone in the left lane is going 70mph, and then you come up behind them going 80 mph. Are you telling me that the law states that the person is supposed to move over so that you can pass them? If that is the case. Then if that person going 70mph is a police officer, would you really feel comfortable passing them at 80mph? And, when s/he pulls you over, will you cite that law as your defense?
The law about keeping right applies to everyone. Speeding laws are another subject but I can tell you if you go downthe GSP to the part where they have these "decorative" Speed Limit 55 signs, if you try to slow down to 55 you would look very awkward while everyone else is doing a comfortable 70.

Old 05-31-2009, 05:06 PM

1,477 posts, read 2,197,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
The law about keeping right applies to everyone. Speeding laws are another subject but I can tell you if you go downthe GSP to the part where they have these "decorative" Speed Limit 55 signs, if you try to slow down to 55 you would look very awkward while everyone else is doing a comfortable 70.
When you are on a busy two-lane interstate it is not always possible that everyone will be able to keep right. In such cases, there will be people driving in both lanes. Undoubtedly, there will be some people in the left lane not driving "fast enough." Of course, they could be driving above the speed limit, but, inevitably, they will not be driving fast enough for someone behind them. My question is: When you are driving at or even above the speed limit, does the stay to the right law supercede the speed limit law? I ask this because every time I see a police officer driving on the interstate, it is amazing how everyone is able to slow down and drive the speed limit then. I never see anyone break the speed limit to pass in front of them. I also never see anyone flashing their lights so that the officer can move over to the right lane. I guess I'm just confused.

Old 05-31-2009, 05:08 PM

636 posts, read 1,423,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Sometimes this isn't always an option though - there have been times when I'm on the expressway and the exit I need is on the left and there's a steady flow of traffic. If I get over to let you pass, I might not be able to get back over in time for my exit. Now I wouldn't ride over there for an extended amount of time but if I'm in the left lane it's because I need to be there and you'll just have to wait a second.
Sure, but that is a rare occurrence. That's the exception not the rule.

Old 05-31-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Interesting logic here. Now, if the person in the left lane is a police officer, should they also move over so that you can speed up and pass them? If they do not move over, will you move to the right lane and speed up so that you can get ahead of them? I would like to see you try it. This isn't rocket science, driving the speed limit is the law.
You're not following my point. Of course, police officers have different rules and no one is going to intentionally try to get a ticket.

My point (which I thought was clear enough) is that it is not enough to be "right" on the road, you have to be safe. Driving the speed limit in the left land IS. NOT. SAFE. No matter how right you think you are, you're still pissing drivers off, and everyone loses.

Old 05-31-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Let me say that the speed limit is 60 mph and someone in the left lane is going 70mph, and then you come up behind them going 80 mph. Are you telling me that the law states that the person is supposed to move over so that you can pass them? If that is the case. Then if that person going 70mph is a police officer, would you really feel comfortable passing them at 80mph? And, when s/he pulls you over, will you cite that law as your defense?
Both cars are breaking the law. That doesn't mean that not passing in the left lane is okay.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:35 PM

Oh heck, I have "blown the doors off" a few cop cars here and there,,,you just need to be in the "good ole boyz" club to get away with it,lol.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:46 AM

593 posts, read 1,660,260 times
Quote:
Why are there so many bad drivers in Jersey?

Because all the best drivers are in NEW Jersey.

LMAO! You sir are a liar. Like I said, I always see the most craziest driving in New Jersey on the streets and highways. If the best drivers was in Jersey, then the auto insurance rate would be low. That's the truth.

Like I said, I don't know what's with people who act like they don't know what an indicator is. Like you know how many times I could have been in a car accidents due to idiots that switch lanes like they're the only ones on the road without using their indicator especially on the highway and in heavy traffic. And it's a normal thing in this state. Then when you get in an accident, these jerk offs wanna act like you the one that's wrong when they're the dumb****s that turned without signaling.

And I almost got ran over by some dumbass kid yesterday trying to turn into the parking lot in my job. ****ing idiot just turned into the parking lot at full speed and instead of slowing down to let me pass. This dumb**** just decides to go to the other side of me almost running over my foot. And it was a kid driving a brand new car which I know wasn't his. I should have knocked him out as soon as he got out the car and take his car keys and throw them in the sewer. Show him how we do this, son. That's the thing too. Idiots wanna rush to where they're going and they're willing to break every traffic law and even the lives of pedistans in the process. It's got to the point where South Orange had to implement a plan for cars on South Orange Ave heading towards the Valley Street intersection to stop at the crosswalk that goes from the church on Irvington Ave to Rita's. So no, Jersey has the worst drivers who can't drive for ****.

Last edited by angerinthenation; 06-01-2009 at 10:58 AM..

Old 06-01-2009, 11:00 AM

Well the insurance rate here is lower than neighboring states. I used to know a few friends at work (when I worked in NY) who moved their car to NJ for lower rates, and a few years ago NJ used to regularly send out squads of investigators to NY and PA to photograph NJ registered cars parked early in the AM, at which point they would get nasty official letters to prove they lived in NJ or pay heavy fines, etc.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:20 AM

593 posts, read 1,660,260 times
Quote:
Well the insurance rate here is lower than neighboring states. I used to know a few friends at work (when I worked in NY) who moved their car to NJ for lower rates, and a few years ago NJ used to regularly send out squads of investigators to NY and PA to photograph NJ registered cars parked early in the AM, at which point they would get nasty official letters to prove they lived in NJ or pay heavy fines, etc.
No no no... Jersey has the 2nd highest auto insurance rate in the nation. Right behind DC, (which is a city). It's documented. You can google that up for yourself. There's a lot of people that do their drivers registration in other states such as Maryland, Virginia, and Michigan because of the auto insurance rates in this state. I've seen it first hand.

And on neighboring states. Here's what separates the state of New Jersey from New York, Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Connecticut and all the other states in the union. In New Jersey, I guess cause of the way this place is densely populated that there seems to be a lot of bad drivers all over the state. You can go to the boondocks way out in Sussex County, to the city area and back out to somewhere like Cape May and you'll still have to drive with extra extra caution because there's so many bad drivers out on New Jersey roads. On New York, PA, Delaware, Connecticut, if you go to the city areas such as New York or Philly, you'll run into the bad drivers which is expected and I guess normal since cities contain heavy traffic. When you go outside the city areas, driving isn't a thing because people aren't driving as crazy. I know that for a fact. I remember driving in upstate New York last summer and I didn't have a problem. I was able to drive without worrying about anybody tailgating me, driving crazy, was driving 85 mph in 75 mph zones without people getting behind my back. Slowed down when I saw state troopers in the middle waiting for people to pull over going over the limit or driving bad. This was when we were going to and coming from Canada. Toronto to be exact.

However, when I was in Jersey driving back home after that long drive back from Canada, I almost got in a car accident in the wee hours of the morning because some knucklehead decided to do the same thing I talked about in my last reply. Switching lanes without signaling. Actually, it was that and wreckless driving. See, this driver in a jeep decided to get into my lanes and was about to run directly into me without signaling. I could have died like that because there was four lanes, I was on the second lane towards the most left lane and this idiot on my right, in the third lane decides instead of slowing down or speeding up so he can get in front of me, he's going to run me off the road into the wall so he can get into my lane. Was he thinking about me and my brother? Was he thinking about his life? The way he was driving, I think not.

And the man that did that stupid move owes me his life because I was the one who made that split second move to save our lives and went into the furthest left lane so his dumbass could get into my lane otherwise we could have got killed right then and there. Believe me when I tell you this, I must have been on something to avoid that car accident that fast before I realized what could have happened afterwards His ass knowing how he was driving would have smashed into us and kept driving since he was driving extremely wreckless. And this was on I believe Route 17 coming off of 87 about 1 in the morning. Like roads in the nighttime, it was only him and me on the road. Nobody else. All that road, all that space, all those lanes and still a car accident could have happened. So yes, Jersey drivers are that bad.

And now that I think of it, the NJDMV is probably another reason why there's so many bad drivers on New Jersey roads. Anybody that's been to a NJDMV especially at the one down in Newark knows what I'm talking about.

Last edited by angerinthenation; 06-01-2009 at 11:32 AM..

Old 06-01-2009, 04:12 PM

Well the above is why most people keep right, out of the way so "people in a hurry" can get around them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey