Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 06:40 PM

593 posts, read 1,660,770 times

Advertisements

I have to ask this. You know, I've been to many states on the roadways and I've never seen the serious amount of bad driving as I've seen in Jersey. With the exception of NYC, Jersey is HORRIBLE in terms of driving. Even on the streets, forgetaboutit. I've been to North, Central and South Jersey and dayum, I stay worried about getting into a car accident because of the amount of bad driving going on out here.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:48 PM

49 posts, read 108,823 times
It's the "me first" mentality and the total disregard for others. This doesn't only apply to driving but to other things as well. My wife works for a home improvement store and tells me every day how inconsiderate and rude people are.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:00 PM

593 posts, read 1,660,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by factory3 View Post
It's the "me first" mentality and the total disregard for others. This doesn't only apply to driving but to other things as well. My wife works for a home improvement store and tells me every day how inconsiderate and rude people are.

So you saying it's a sociopathic attitude that flies around here. I actually agree with you. You'll have people cutting you off trying to get in front of you when they're going nowhere. It's sad. Really really sad. I remember driving down to the shore on the Garden State and I was in the speeding lane right last summer.. I would be going like 80 miles per hour and I still had people behind my back, against my bumper doing prolly 100. Flashing their lights letting me know that I had to get out the lane or they would run me off the road.

And my question is where's the police at?

Old 04-27-2009, 07:21 PM

199 posts, read 526,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angerinthenation View Post
I have to ask this. You know, I've been to many states on the roadways and I've never seen the serious amount of bad driving as I've seen in Jersey. With the exception of NYC, Jersey is HORRIBLE in terms of driving. Even on the streets, forgetaboutit. I've been to North, Central and South Jersey and dayum, I stay worried about getting into a car accident because of the amount of bad driving going on out here.
I think it's more aggressiveness than just bad driving. Since the state is so densely populated and given the amount of traffic, I think people are constantly in a hurry and always stressed while they're driving. It results in aggressiveness. BTW, if people are tailgating and flashing their brights at you, it's probably because you're sitting in the left lane and not passing. HUGE pet-peeve.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:26 PM

86 posts, read 226,926 times
I tirelessly get people pulling out in front of me at inappropriate times The boss(a NJ native) says that its the NY transplants...

Old 04-28-2009, 06:59 AM

587 posts, read 2,178,441 times
Besides what you guys have stated i also think its because we have so many FOB's (fresh of the boat) that dont understand and are so use to driving in their own country where there is little to no traffic laws.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:18 AM

531 posts, read 2,899,152 times
It is not NY transplants. I get so annoyed when people say that. If you tried anything as obnoxious and childish as that in NY you would get your head handed to you. Yes, NY'ers are aggressive, but they also wouldn't tailgate you when you are driving 5 MPH OVER the speed limit. What I've noticed about NJ drivers is they are passive aggressive. They'll do something obnoxious like cut you off or tailgate you. If you call them on it, by honking or getting in their face, they get very nervous and scared. A NY'er who does something aggressive is prepared to deal with the reaction he'll get. My wife & I were once cut off horribly on Route 1 with our then 2 month old daughter in the back seat. I followed the guy for a couple of miles, then we pulled up next to him at a stop light and my wife proceeded to rip him a new you know what. I've never seen 3 grown burly men look so frightened.

I agree with "Factory3", it's just inconsiderate and immaturity. In NY, you learn to live with others and tolerate crowds, traffic, etc. NJ'ers don't really learn those skills. So if someone is "in their way", they don't know how to deal. It's extremely annoying.

I've said it before, NJ would be an amazing state if it weren't for the other people living here.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:39 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,798,823 times
I don't doubt there are bad drivers, however, it's not specific to NJ. It's all over this country, and there is a general decrease in our social system that is the cause. It may be more pronounced in NJ because of population density, but if you inserted drivers from New Mexico, Iowa, or Idaho into that driving environment, you'd have similar results. New Jersey drivers are no better or no worse than other states. There was once a poll conducted by Car and Driver magazine about which state people thought the worst drivers hailed from. 80% of those who participated named their own state.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:44 AM

744 posts, read 1,406,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angerinthenation View Post
So you saying it's a sociopathic attitude that flies around here. I actually agree with you. You'll have people cutting you off trying to get in front of you when they're going nowhere. It's sad. Really really sad. I remember driving down to the shore on the Garden State and I was in the speeding lane right last summer.. I would be going like 80 miles per hour and I still had people behind my back, against my bumper doing prolly 100. Flashing their lights letting me know that I had to get out the lane or they would run me off the road.

And my question is where's the police at?
They should have been ticketing you obviously. There are only two legal reasons to be in the left lane:

1. You are overtaking.
2. You are turning left.

Plus the practical exception for bumper to bumper traffic and no one is passing anyone anyway (though the law doesn't actually say that...)

Old 04-28-2009, 07:45 AM

989 posts, read 1,877,142 times
I always thought that the worst drivers were from Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey