U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 04:57 PM

5,340 posts, read 12,356,277 times

Advertisements

Oh Mike, I'm so ready to move. But I can't! Job market is pretty bad up here. I just saw one of my neighbors who is also laid off (one of 6 on our block) and she said worst case scenario, we can all move in together one day. LOL Sad when these are scenarios we only HALF joke about, huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 05:28 PM

22,743 posts, read 28,605,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
One of my friends in NJ just officially got the pink slip as well. Just unbelievable.

Meanwhile, where I live now, we can't fill positions. There aren't enough qualified people.
in many instances, this recession is a good opportunity to cut some fat.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:22 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,367,602 times
Really sorry to hear that you got laid off. Maybe you can freelance helping people do there resumes. Of course lots of people need the help but no one can afford it.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:06 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,010,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Alex, you have an inner saint?

I'm out guys - it's me. Me and the one gentleman I spoke of (a REPUBLICAN, BTW....) I got off the phone w/ him and he's a MESS. Wife out of work, new baby and he's really in a hole. But HE IS HAPPY that he will only be paying 45% of his COBRA now. LOL Funny he was so against that, but he's happy now. But I digress.

SO I AM OFFICIALLY ONE OF THE UNEMPLOYED. And I'm getting a whopping 2 weeks severance (gee, thanks... glad I've put in 50-60 hr weeks for you all this time....) and I WILL be getting unemployment, so I guess it's ok that I was late once in a while. (Rolls eyes)

I'm really OK..... I've watched my father in law die this year. I've been through much worse, I'll live through this just fine.

And now I'm up for that philly cheesesteak run w/ Hobokenguy (enough of this Downtown JC stuff! ) because I have some TIME for the first time ina a LONG LONG time.

EEEEEEEE, I'm so sorry. Even though you are smart, strong and will land on your feet, like always, I know it sucks. God bless!!

Old 04-28-2009, 08:00 PM

65 posts, read 243,490 times
EEE
I am so sorry to hear this. We went through this exact same situation twice in a year's time. Its a terrible situation to be in ,Elle and the times ahead may be hard but it will make you stronger and better prepared to take on shocks life throws at us from time to time. Our family drew strength from each other and the crisis brought us even closer.

Take a few days to take stock of the situation, plan your monthly budget, keep tabs on your savings and expenditure and best of all, spend time with your girls and family and draw comfort from them. You seem like a level headed person and I am sure you will do all that you can to address the situation you find yourself in so unfortunately.

Feel free to come here and vent. We are all here to support and help each other, if only through words. All the best. This too shall pass.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:30 PM

Thanks ... I'm hoping we can pull together as a family. One thing this is making glaringly clear is that I don't always get the support I need. BUT I'm staying positive.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:53 PM

21,187 posts, read 5,519,831 times
Going through this is not easy when you have the needed support but is even worse when facing it alone. You'll pull through and will be fine. This is just one set back you'll look at later in life and realize it was for the best.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:11 PM

Like grandpa used to say "If this won't matter in 100 years...."

Old 04-28-2009, 10:21 PM

2,866 posts, read 8,286,158 times
Sorry about your Job loss, but I'm sure you will find another job. Maybe even a Better one!

Diane G

Old 04-28-2009, 10:36 PM

1,041 posts, read 2,777,988 times
Sorry about your job loss, E - i hope something comes your way quickly.
Your attitude has been wonderful- and that is half the battle.

Hang in there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey