Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 04:40 AM

5 posts, read 8,104 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!!
My name is Dee, im 21 and am planning on emigrating to America next year when i graduate. Il be moving with my partner Liz and our dog Tegan, we are leaning towards California as the seemingly laid back lifestyle appeals to us both, being from Ireland we dont see much sun!! However we are open to other places in America, we would like somewhere we will be welcomed as young Irish Expats. I would like to gather as much information as possible about living anywhere in the Us, Best places to live, work, family friendly areas, Healthcare, pro's + con's etc.

I will have a degree in English Literature and Media studies and will hopefully move in to teaching, how common are teaching jobs? We are a gay couple, are there any parts of America we would not be welcome? We would be looking to rent long term, we can both drive and would be renting a car also. How high is the cost of living?

Do you reccomend New Jersey? i would particularly like to hear from British/Irish Expats.

Il be happy to answer any questions to help your advice giving easier!!

Dee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 10:34 AM

1,552 posts, read 4,633,997 times
You'll be welcomed as young Irish expats pretty much everywhere in the U.S. -- we like our Irish cousins. Of course, in terms of lifestyle you'll fit in more on the coastal states or in any of the large urban areas, and that's also likely to be where you'll find the best chances for work in a university. That said, teaching jobs at the university level are hard to come by; high school teaching jobs are easier to find, but pay less and can often be in rough urban neigborhoods. Renting a home/apartment is a smart move, especially in this market with prices plummeting, but renting a car is not a viable long-term option, much better to buy a cheap used Japanese car to get you around.

There are many European immigrants or expats in the NYC/Boston area, probably a good number in CA as well. Really, it's a huge country and so your best bet is to try to line up work before you come here, and to a large extent that will dictate the area you move to, at least at first.

Good luck!

Old 04-29-2009, 10:44 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishDee View Post
Hi everyone!!
My name is Dee, im 21 and am planning on emigrating to America next year when i graduate. Il be moving with my partner Liz and our dog Tegan, we are leaning towards California as the seemingly laid back lifestyle appeals to us both, being from Ireland we dont see much sun!! However we are open to other places in America, we would like somewhere we will be welcomed as young Irish Expats. I would like to gather as much information as possible about living anywhere in the Us, Best places to live, work, family friendly areas, Healthcare, pro's + con's etc.

I will have a degree in English Literature and Media studies and will hopefully move in to teaching, how common are teaching jobs? We are a gay couple, are there any parts of America we would not be welcome? We would be looking to rent long term, we can both drive and would be renting a car also. How high is the cost of living?

Do you reccomend New Jersey? i would particularly like to hear from British/Irish Expats.

Il be happy to answer any questions to help your advice giving easier!!

Dee
Most of what Lusitan said
as far as your question regarding being gay, unfortunately yes
Parts of the deep deep bible belt in the South and swatches of rural areas in the heartland...most urban areas you'll be fine
Two cities come to mind that are very gay friendly....San Francisco CA & Key West FL, I'm sure there are many others but I'm familiar with the two I listed

Good Luck & Welcome to the USA

Old 04-29-2009, 10:49 AM

75 posts, read 243,026 times
I am not from NJ or CA. I currently live in Madison, WI. Madison is one of the most gay-friendly cities in the US. I would avoid the south and the midwest (like I said, Madison is very gay friendly, but most of WI is not). California as a state is known as one of the most gay friendly states, I do know that. And trust me, just because Iowa approved gay marriage does not mean they are anywhere near gay friendly, they are not. Stay out of Iowa for the life of you! I would certainly recommend CA to you! I have never lived there, however my mom is a lesbian and several of her friends have moved to CA and said it is very nice, hope that helps!

Old 04-29-2009, 10:53 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanj0 View Post
I am not from NJ or CA. I currently live in Madison, WI. Madison is one of the most gay-friendly cities in the US. I would avoid the south and the midwest (like I said, Madison is very gay friendly, but most of WI is not). California as a state is known as one of the most gay friendly states, I do know that. And trust me, just because Iowa approved gay marriage does not mean they are anywhere near gay friendly, they are not. Stay out of Iowa for the life of you! I would certainly recommend CA to you! I have never lived there, however my mom is a lesbian and several of her friends have moved to CA and said it is very nice, hope that helps!
True dat
NJ is pretty gay friendly for the most part
Yeah just stay out of the deep south and the heartland (mid-west)

Old 04-29-2009, 11:04 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishDee View Post
Hi everyone!!
My name is Dee, im 21 and am planning on emigrating to America next year when i graduate.
I just moved from Washington, DC. DC has changed alot in the last 15 years and is quite an international city at this point. One of my best friends is gay and we went to many social events such as art openings, the theatre, dinners at friends, happy hours, antiquing, etc. Dupont Circle is a great neighborhood "developed" by the gay community. Of course, now no one can afford it but. . . . It's certainly worth a visit if you can make it there.

Don't know much about the Irish-Am groups in DC but there are some decent Irish pubs you'd enjoy!

As far as teaching positions, check with the counties and schools of where you want to teach. Some of them may be strict as far as hiring a non-U.S. citizen (although any teachers on this forum could clarify this . Also, there are temporary teaching jobs that could hold you over if you do not find a full-time position right away, including semester-long positions or substitute teaching. Best of luck to you!

Old 04-29-2009, 02:41 PM

202 posts, read 1,008,263 times
There are lots of Irish people in New Jersey, particually North NJ

Old 04-29-2009, 02:45 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,768,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanj0 View Post
What? how does that work

Old 04-29-2009, 03:06 PM

744 posts, read 1,406,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
What? how does that work
By becoming a lesbian after having children. By adopting children as a lesbian with a partner or as a single parent. By using artificial insemination methods with donor sperm. I'm sure you can think of many other ways yourself.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:12 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
are we talking about lesbians? hot bi girls or fat butch lesbians?

anyway, do you have a strong irish accent? im dying to hire someone for collections who has a real thick irish/scottish accent. "you best be payin your bills if ya know whats good for ya!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey