Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 08:48 AM

23,783 posts, read 33,224,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonutz nj View Post
Plainfield - any street with a number (mostly 2nd to 8th street and East Front Street) The entire city area of Plainfield is real real bad. Anything outside the Main city area is ok.
You make it sound like you're going to get murdered driving through.
I'll admit there are some lock your door parts of town but so far, nothing has ever happened to me. I've driven through Plainfield many times, both in a car and on my motorcycle.

Quote:
Im not even going to list towns like Winfield, Garwood, Crandford, Kenilworth, and Roselle Park I know those area's most of all and they are great communities no crime at all. The one thing that is definatley wrong with them is massive drug problems that nobody admits Especially Winfield and Kenilworth. However I wouldnt hang around Westfield ave in Roselle Park at night, honestly that would be were most of RP's "problems" are.
Westfield Ave is huge. I grew up practically on Westfield Ave; the Burger King, the trestle and the Gordon Street Bridge.

IMO, the biggest problem is probably the bars. You have how many bars on Westfield Ave? Then in Cranford over by Winfield Park/parkway entrance there's another bar.

Quote:
Roselle - Fair neighboorhood wit a couple very Dangerous sections which definatley gives reason to why people compare it to elizabeth. We all know the bad parts of Roselle. 1st 2nd and 3rd Street are definatley bad (For those that dont know that's the area just out of Roselle Park near the Wendy's and the CVS) and the worst is East St.George Ave and the streets sorrounding it. Roselle had a murder recently my friend knew the guy.
I used to live on 2nd. The West side was always better then the East, there's always been problems on certain streets/sections.
Last time I was there was in 2005 - I didn't not feel safe, even at night we went to Chestnut street between 1st and 3rd.
I'd gone to the post office at one point, I will say it was a wake up call to see bullet proof glass.
Would I live there again? No.
I couldn't go back to that kind of living after living in South Jersey so long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 12:51 PM

82 posts, read 395,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
You make it sound like you're going to get murdered driving through.
I'll admit there are some lock your door parts of town but so far, nothing has ever happened to me. I've driven through Plainfield many times, both in a car and on my motorcycle.

Westfield Ave is huge. I grew up practically on Westfield Ave; the Burger King, the trestle and the Gordon Street Bridge.

IMO, the biggest problem is probably the bars. You have how many bars on Westfield Ave? Then in Cranford over by Winfield Park/parkway entrance there's another bar.

I used to live on 2nd. The West side was always better then the East, there's always been problems on certain streets/sections.
Last time I was there was in 2005 - I didn't not feel safe, even at night we went to Chestnut street between 1st and 3rd.
I'd gone to the post office at one point, I will say it was a wake up call to see bullet proof glass.
Would I live there again? No.
I couldn't go back to that kind of living after living in South Jersey so long.
well...when It comes to Plainfield, driving around is safe, very safe. You wont have a problem walking around during the day either. However much like elizabeth, I wouldnt make it a nightly hang out. Plainfield has a high murder rate and crime rate. People do get robbed there, cars get stollen, and people get killed. I dont know if you know but Plainfield is on the list of one of the most dangerous cities in NJ even though it might not look it. The chances of somthing happining to you in Roselle compared to Plainfield is a big difference, Plainfield takes the cake.

And as far as Westfield ave and the other safe towns, we all know they're fine, but the further you go down Westfield ave, the more you start to see Elizabeth's problems leaking into it, Graffiti, drug dealing, trust me its there but at the very far end.

Roselle, I agree Roselle can make you feel very uneasy, much like parts of Linden. Roselle is on a fast decline. Infact now Roselle is experiencing more Murders latley.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:49 PM

526 posts, read 2,062,763 times
Quote:
Ill tell you what I know

ill start wit the first "bad town" of union county

Plainfield - any street with a number (mostly 2nd to 8th street and East Front Street) The entire city area of Plainfield is real real bad. Anything outside the Main city area is ok.

Scotch Plains, Clark, and Westfield are absolutely great area's however they are known to have one or two shady looking area's and rumored to have a "bad" street or two believe it or not. I dont know much about that maybe someone with info could let me know.

Colonia / Avenel - Not bad areas, has some slight problems. Heard the route 1&9 area is the "bad" part of those two towns. The only thing ive seen there is alot of graffiti (anyone with more info let me know).

Carteret - Has some problems, actually had a murder here and there, maybe one or two a year, three the most. Dont know the "bad" parts of town (anyone with more info let me know).

Rahway - used to live there, the town overall is fair. Some very nice homes. However stay clear of anything in the city area and to the east of main street towards route 1&9. Thats where most of the crime takes place that gives rahway its popularity.

Im not even going to list towns like Winfield, Garwood, Crandford, Kenilworth, and Roselle Park I know those area's most of all and they are great communities no crime at all. The one thing that is definatley wrong with them is massive drug problems that nobody admits Especially Winfield and Kenilworth. However I wouldnt hang around Westfield ave in Roselle Park at night, honestly that would be were most of RP's "problems" are.

Linden - The main crime is on the Roselle, Elizabeth border. The crime peak area is the east St. George Ave area across to East Elizabeth Ave and up Route 1&9. When I think of bad parts of linden I think of East Baltimore Ave, Fay Ave, and route 1&9. East Baltimore ave is soo Ghetto looking its nicknammed "Crack Alley".

Roselle - Fair neighboorhood wit a couple very Dangerous sections which definatley gives reason to why people compare it to elizabeth. We all know the bad parts of Roselle. 1st 2nd and 3rd Street are definatley bad (For those that dont know that's the area just out of Roselle Park near the Wendy's and the CVS) and the worst is East St.George Ave and the streets sorrounding it. Roselle had a murder recently my friend knew the guy.

Union - A very good neighborhood with a couple not soo nice areas and one Bad area. The Vauxhall area which is technically is like a town within a town (it has its own postal adress) its the worst section of Union. The corner of Morris Ave and Stuyvesant Ave is not soo nice I know someone that works there, it also borders Hillside

Hillside - Hillside has like one nice area I would say 65% of the town is BAD especially Newark Border.

Elizabeth - Elmora is supposedly ok hahah other than that Elizabeth is the worst part of Union County. Murder, heavy crime, robberies. The port and East Jersey Street used to be the worst section feel free to share opinions.
Union County resident my whole life ... and this is pretty accurate.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-TOWN-R.I.P. View Post
Union County resident my whole life ... and this is pretty accurate.
Does the E.Town R.I.P stand for E.Town Concrete? cuz If it does hell yea! best ****ing band ever

Old 05-04-2009, 08:54 AM

you know, they say Vauxhall is the worst part of Union, but ive seen some shady areas of Union other than that? ive drove through, researched it, but im really not too familiar with Vauxhall, is it really the worst part?

Old 05-04-2009, 09:31 AM

131 posts, read 602,829 times
Actually Vauxhall is considered worst part of Union but its not really that dangerous. Some may consider shady part of union right by Stanley Terr, but again its pretty safe and quiet part of the town. I own 2 houses in Union and one is in that part and been living there since 1992-2003 and then for one year until last year and never had problems there. In last 4 years i have sold 5 houses in that part to Polish families and 2 Portugese and they also love it. Overall Union is nice, quiet and safe even in the shady parts of the town and i know that some things have happened in the past but in a town with 56k people it is impossible not to have any kind of crime.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:13 PM

526 posts, read 2,062,763 times
Quote:
Does the E.Town R.I.P stand for E.Town Concrete? cuz If it does hell yea! best ****ing band ever
No, the older generation used to call Elizabeth "E-Town." Now the young guys call it "East-Wick." Just showing my age a little bit.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-TOWN-R.I.P. View Post
No, the older generation used to call Elizabeth "E-Town." Now the young guys call it "East-Wick." Just showing my age a little bit.
ah ok

Old 05-06-2009, 09:27 PM

Anyone have any personal experiences with any of these locations that they would like to share? just to start of convorsation

Old 05-07-2009, 07:37 AM

131 posts, read 602,829 times
I live in Union and know the Beautiful, Good and Ugly sides of it. I am very active in community, know whats going on all the time, follow all the news and do real estate in town. Live there since 1992 own two houses there one on border or Maplewood (shady area to some) and other in Battlehill (one of the best parts) and growing up and still living there i still love it. Over so many years of course most of it didnt get better it got worse since 1992, but not to the point that would disqualify town from being a safe and nice town. Even shady area that some may say its not as bad as it seems, its full of hard working people, you dont see run down houses, you dont see crime on streets. Once in a while something happens but even in best towns there is some kind of crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey