Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 11:45 PM

132 posts, read 627,928 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am doing some basic research for some good family friends of ours. Unfortunately, they are moving to the east coast because the wife got a very good job offer in NYC. I will miss them dearly....but you have to do what's best for your family!

Anyway, I told them I would help them find some communities to look at around the Tri-State area. I'm from San Diego and am not familiar with New Jersey at all. My grandma and aunt live in Darien, CT, so I have already told them of that great town. That's where I would choose, but I'm biased.

I post here because I have heard great things from my college friends about New Jersey. They are looking for an upscale, residential town that is within a reasonable distance to NYC...like under an hour. The family enjoys sports and outdoor activities (although I don't know how much they'll spend outside in New England winters! ). They aren't really into shopping and the whole country club/golf club scene, so that doesn't matter. They're looking for a safe town with great schools, a great atmosphere that is family focused with activities for kids (two boys, 8 & 11).

I don't think housing prices are an issue. I would bet they're spending 5M and up.

So, what do you suggest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 04:02 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,520,111 times
if they want truely upscale, they should check out Greenwich, CT, close to NY and UP UP UP UP SCALE!!!! There is also Westchester, NY

However in NJ your talking Alpine, Saddle River thats about it.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:28 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,526,545 times
And Short Hills, New Vernon, Montclair, Ridgewood, Mendham, Bernardsville, Chester, Chatham, Madison, Far Hills, etc. etc. etc.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:47 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,939,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoTeen View Post
I post here because I have heard great things from my college friends about New Jersey. They are looking for an upscale, residential town that is within a reasonable distance to NYC...like under an hour. The family enjoys sports and outdoor activities (although I don't know how much they'll spend outside in New England winters! ). They aren't really into shopping and the whole country club/golf club scene, so that doesn't matter. They're looking for a safe town with great schools, a great atmosphere that is family focused with activities for kids (two boys, 8 & 11).

I don't think housing prices are an issue. I would bet they're spending 5M and up.

So, what do you suggest?
Somerset County fits that bill PERFECTLY. We are close enough to NYC that commuting there isn't a big deal. We have great schools, very low crime rates, excellent sporting & recreation facilities, fantastic parks, and recreation facilities, beautiful neighborhoods. We're convenient not only to NYC, but also to Philadelphia, the Jersey shore, the Pocono mountains. All in all a GREAT place to live. And while you can certainly find plenty of $5M homes & estates in this area, you can also find great properrties for less.
Specific towns in Somerset County would include Bernardsville, Basking Ridge, Far Hills, Peapack & Gladstone, Warren & Watchung. Nearby towns in Morris County that fit the bill would be Harding, Mendham, and Chester, though Chester starts to stretch the commute a bit.

Last edited by Bill Keegan; 05-01-2009 at 07:51 AM.. Reason: Added the town names.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:15 AM

792 posts, read 3,137,768 times
I'd recommend Westchester County, NY and also Chatham/Madison, NJ.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:32 AM

136 posts, read 723,194 times
Default Amusing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Somerset County fits that bill PERFECTLY. We are close enough to NYC that commuting there isn't a big deal.
Spoken like a guy who doesn't commute to NYC.
If you're going in a handful of times a year to eat or go to a show, no it's fine
But, it's a bear of a daily commute. Period.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:46 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,939,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thosepeskyfacts View Post
Spoken like a guy who doesn't commute to NYC.
If you're going in a handful of times a year to eat or go to a show, no it's fine
But, it's a bear of a daily commute. Period.
Well, it's a bit long, perhaps, but not particularly difficult. And thousands of people do it every day. I was one of them for a while, but yes, I will admit I no longer do it, so may have lost so may have lost some of the feel for the drudgery of it.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:36 AM

6 posts, read 22,942 times
The Jersey shore has some great communites also (Rumson, Fair Haven, Red Bank, etc) and is quite easilly commutable to the city using the 'high speed ferries' that run from the bayshore.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:30 PM

122 posts, read 479,729 times
They might look at Westfield NJ too.
Nice walkable downtown area with lots of restaurants.
Good schools.
Lots of luck in the search.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:11 PM

95 posts, read 521,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl3624 View Post
They might look at Westfield NJ too.
Nice walkable downtown area with lots of restaurants.
Good schools.
Lots of luck in the search.
I definitely second Westfield. Schools are one of the best in the state, the downtown is really nice, and overall an upscale nice town. 5 mil in Westfield can you buy you any house in town:
Westfield Real Estate & Westfield Homes For Sale — Trulia.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey