Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 09:16 PM

1,289 posts, read 6,096,057 times

Advertisements

To fight $100 is going to be tough and probably not worth it. If there was a smell, I would pay for it and move on.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:22 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,485,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Was there a "Curry Clause" in your lease? If not, you didn't violate your lease and should have your security refunded promptly.
Not even close.

This issue has nothing to do with what caused the stink, just the fact that there was a stink left behind.

Last edited by JerseyG; 05-02-2009 at 09:32 PM..

Old 05-02-2009, 09:42 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,949,452 times
The landlord might have a problem getting new tenants with the odor damage so the landlord could lose more by not renting. $100 is nothing. No different then smoke damage.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:58 AM

20,321 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownJerseyCity View Post
..... My GF lived in a building with a very large Indian population and even her clothes used to reek of curry from when the stench made its way in from a few of the neighbors apartments.
Chalk that up as one more reason to live in detached housing.

I couldn't deal with crap like that day after day.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:51 AM

22 posts, read 81,686 times
I like how you just told a community of people on a forum that you smell. The board should donate the hundo to you for a thread full of ridicule & laughter!

Old 05-03-2009, 11:59 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,087,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straswell View Post
I like how you just told a community of people on a forum that you smell. The board should donate the hundo to you for a thread full of ridicule & laughter!
kind of uncalled for. That smell is subjective, and just happens to be something most of the US doesn't care for, you sound like a little kid in 1st grade.

I think if the apt smells that bad, the owner is going to loose a lot more than $100, between getting rid of the smell, and the amount of people that walk away from the place just because of the smell. Maybe figure ways to remedy the situation, paint the kitchen, wipe things down, baking soda, but for all the time you'd waste, I'd let the landlord keep the $100, or try to bring it down by mentioning the money you spend on clean up prior to moving in and leaving.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:04 PM

22 posts, read 81,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
kind of uncalled for. That smell is subjective, and just happens to be something most of the US doesn't care for, you sound like a little kid in 1st grade.

I think if the apt smells that bad, the owner is going to loose a lot more than $100, between getting rid of the smell, and the amount of people that walk away from the place just because of the smell. Maybe figure ways to remedy the situation, paint the kitchen, wipe things down, baking soda, but for all the time you'd waste, I'd let the landlord keep the $100, or try to bring it down by mentioning the money you spend on clean up prior to moving in and leaving.
1st grade? Look at this original post! It's not rocket science here. If you rent a apt, condo, car, or anything for that matter you are expected to "keep up" the product. If it is not up to the owner's standards when returning it is highly likely you will pay a penalty. This could obviously be a huge deterrent for future prospects. The smell IS subjective..but unfortunately the Landlord makes that call (not the smelly tenant or forum members) . What if the apartment smelt like garbage or feces? Would they THEN be responsible?

The reality is that they probably can't force you to pay it. It's more of a common courtesy/respect thing. You know, the basic things I am learning now in the 1st grade.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:35 PM

587 posts, read 2,177,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Chalk that up as one more reason to live in detached housing.

I couldn't deal with crap like that day after day.
Some cases detached housing wouldn’t matter. You haven’t been to the large Indian population of Iselin or Jersey City where the air smells like curry it’s very nauseating.

This reminds me of the "The Smelly Car" episode of Seinfeld. Where the stench couldn’t be removed and Jerry couldn’t sell his car because of the terrible odor.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:11 PM

786 posts, read 2,663,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumra View Post
Some cases detached housing wouldn’t matter. You haven’t been to the large Indian population of Iselin or Jersey City where the air smells like curry it’s very nauseating.
Eh, not true....I've been to that area many times, and when I do smell something it makes me hungry

I think a lot of bigots are starting to come out...you don't see these same people commenting about strong hamburger smells near fast food areas, or pork/barbecue smells, even though the latter would likely offend Muslims and Jews.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:21 PM

20,321 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalim2008 View Post

...you don't see these same people commenting about strong hamburger smells near fast food areas, or pork/barbecue smells, even though the latter would likely offend Muslims and Jews.
Offensive because of a literal "stink" and offensive for religious reasons aren't even in the same ball park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey