Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 03:22 PM

414 posts, read 911,043 times

Advertisements

I've seen a few threads on here about underground oil tanks (ex: Interested in a home, underground oil tank was removed but no "No Further Action" letter yet?)
My DD will be house-hunting in Bergen County in a few months. Is this something that she should have addressed with any house she might be interested in? Would she need ( or should she ask for) something specifically in writing confirming that there is no under ground oil tank on the property? I'm not aware of that being an issue here on LI...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 03:31 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,523,463 times
Well, it depends on how old the house is. If DD is looking at newer houses, it's not an issue.

Old 05-01-2009, 03:36 PM

414 posts, read 911,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
Well, it depends on how old the house is. If DD is looking at newer houses, it's not an issue.
I really haven't come across too many "newer" houses in Bergen Co. that DD could come close to affording! Most are expanded capes from the 40's/50's but also most have basements. Does having a basement negate the possibilty of an underground tank? I kind of assume (perhaps incorrectly) that it would only be an issue with a no-basement house??

Old 05-01-2009, 03:39 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,087,599 times
basements can still have tanks. It may not be under the basement, but rather in the backyard underground.

Usually a permit is filed and there is paperwork that the tank has been decommissioned. In that case it has been removed or another alternative is drained and filled.

If there is no paperwork, look for signs of an oil tank, and then either see if you can work with the seller to have them do the work.

If you buy the house and the tank has leaked, it can cost big buck to clean up. We've decommissioned two tanks so far with no problems.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:53 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,363,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieLu View Post
I've seen a few threads on here about underground oil tanks (ex: Interested in a home, underground oil tank was removed but no "No Further Action" letter yet?)
My DD will be house-hunting in Bergen County in a few months. Is this something that she should have addressed with any house she might be interested in? Would she need ( or should she ask for) something specifically in writing confirming that there is no under ground oil tank on the property? I'm not aware of that being an issue here on LI...
There are houses in LI with underground tanks. A customer of mine had one, and when he heard what happened to mine in NJ he had it removed, and had an above the ground one installed. Make sure even if house has gas that there was never a tank underground.

Diane G

Old 05-01-2009, 07:24 PM

The seller has to disclose if there is an underground oil tank, even if it's empty or filled with sand. The buyer should make the seller pay to have it removed even if it's empty or filled with sand, and have the soil around it checked for contamination and cleaned up.

Old 05-02-2009, 03:56 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,363,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
The seller has to disclose if there is an underground oil tank, even if it's empty or filled with sand. The buyer should make the seller pay to have it removed even if it's empty or filled with sand, and have the soil around it checked for contamination and cleaned up.

My insurance company had a client who the seller did not diclose it. They said the house was always gas. Well there was a underground tank, and it was leaking and big $. The insurance company would not cover it, and the former owners had taken off and moved to India. As I said be very careful.

Diane G

Old 05-03-2009, 12:01 PM

I sold a house with a leaking oil tank once. It was a nightmare. We had it tested three years earlier and it wasn't leaking, and then lo and behold, when we tried to sell it, it was.

I guess if you have reason to suspect there is an underground oil tank (an older home) you should always hire your own inspector. They are super easy to find, all you need is a metal detector. They're usually close to the house, and sometimes there's one near the garage, if it's a separate garage. They used to heat the garages way back when!

Old 05-03-2009, 01:29 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times
We just removed our tank with wiley and it was a very easy process, went smooth, now just waiting on refund from the NJDEPA grant. Might as well do it now and not worry about it later.

I am going to agree with clevedark:

Old 05-04-2009, 11:31 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,917,624 times
If the tank was properly filled with sand, testing completed and everything was fine, why should the seller pay to have it removed? There is a sand-filled tank under my property and we had all the testing done and everything was fine. There's no way I would waste any money to remove a tank that poses no risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey