U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2009, 09:46 PM

1 posts, read 4,881 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are interested in moving into a townhouse. West Orange seems to have nice houses, but I am wary about the town, since it borders some really bad areas. I am also concerned because the town's demographic information does not match up favorably with other towns in the area like Livingston or Montclair. I would appreciate any recommendations for town house communities that would be pleasant and safe for a young Jewish professional couple. Gated communities are preferred, but not necessary.

Also, are there nice shops, restaurants, etc near the nicer parts of town, and are these nicer areas mostly frequented by the people living in those areas? I hate to sound like a snob, but safety is important, and if anything we may be more skittish than most people. Thank you for your advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 10:01 PM

786 posts, read 2,268,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkrugman View Post
My wife and I are interested in moving into a townhouse. West Orange seems to have nice houses, but I am wary about the town, since it borders some really bad areas. I am also concerned because the town's demographic information does not match up favorably with other towns in the area like Livingston or Montclair. I would appreciate any recommendations for town house communities that would be pleasant and safe for a young Jewish professional couple. Gated communities are preferred, but not necessary.

Also, are there nice shops, restaurants, etc near the nicer parts of town, and are these nicer areas mostly frequented by the people living in those areas? I hate to sound like a snob, but safety is important, and if anything we may be more skittish than most people. Thank you for your advice.
About Llewellyn Park

Old 05-03-2009, 05:16 AM

587 posts, read 1,904,282 times
I don’t know your budget but there are new luxury condos being built off Northfield ave across the street from the JCC (Jewish community center) starting at a little over 1mil. Llewellyn Park which is a gated community and the most exclusive area in all of West Orange has some excellent values check out MLS #'s 2630468.
The most exclusive restaurants are the Manor & Highlawn Pavilion. The Pleasantdale Chateau and Mayfair Farms only hosts special events. The Wilshire Grand hotel which houses Primavera Restaurant is a step in the right direction for West Orange. Wholefoods and Shoprite are you major grocery stores.
As I have mentioned before West Orange has seen better days and the schools performance continue to drop year after year with high taxes and shady parts of towns it may be beneficial to look elsewhere. Hope this helps.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:59 AM

1,576 posts, read 5,020,967 times
West Orange has killer poperty taxes, but the town overall is a very nice, safe town. It's safer than Montclair and Montclair is a tad bit more diverse, so I don't know what the "demographics" comment was about when compared to Livingston and Montclair.
I heard West Orange or South Orange if I'm not correct has a good sized Jewish population also.

Godd Luck!

Old 05-04-2009, 01:24 AM
EB2

1,927 posts, read 5,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
West Orange has killer poperty taxes, but the town overall is a very nice, safe town. It's safer than Montclair and Montclair is a tad bit more diverse, so I don't know what the "demographics" comment was about when compared to Livingston and Montclair.
I heard West Orange or South Orange if I'm not correct has a good sized Jewish population also.

Godd Luck!
Both have a decent amount of Jewish people.

I meant to post last night, but for whatever reason, I couldn't.

WO isn't all that bad. It can be rougher towards Orange, but as a whole, is quite a nice town. I've gone walking at 11 PM many, many times, in the St. Cloud section, and have never been bothered (if anything, those that are out [walking their dogs], say hello to me). I love West Orange.

Like Newarkbomb said, HIGH property taxes, but that's the norm with Essex.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:47 PM

701 posts, read 1,437,683 times
People forget the valley (By Orange) is not that big and is a small in contrast with the town. West Orange is much safer then South Orange or Montclair. Except for the valley section the town is just as safe as Livingston, Millburn, Roseland pretty much any nice town in West Essex.
Btw dont be scared about the 2 murders in 2007 in Jersey City some gang had beef of some sort and they went up 280 got off the highway hid in the Hutton terrace apartment complex and were found by the gang and shot and killed. Everyone involved had nothing to do with West Orange, that crime could of happened anywhere with highways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or