U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 02:54 PM

1,536 posts, read 4,041,558 times

Advertisements

... read this article. Apparently, some (most?) of those donation bins do not belong to charities that give clothes to the needy, rather, they belong to for-profit corporations (with names that sound like charities) that sell the clothes and pocket the profits.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/03/ny...ref=new-jersey

I have used bins like this in the past, but never again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 03:12 PM

112 posts, read 306,736 times
We tend to either Freecycle clothes or donate the clothes to Bag 2 School. The school gets money for the clothes.

Old 05-04-2009, 03:44 PM

5,439 posts, read 14,324,626 times
Yes most of the time they are for profits...... If you just read the signs on the bins they usually tell the story.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:13 PM

1,536 posts, read 4,041,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
Yes most of the time they are for profits...... If you just read the signs on the bins they usually tell the story.
I confess to not looking for the fine-print when I've gone to drop off clothes in one of these bins, however, according to the NY Times article I cited, it appears that most of the time the bins do not give the story (and in fact, deliberately seek to mislead people with names that sound like charities even when the company is not a charity):

"At the East Mill Shopping Center, there are 20 bins representing seven different organizations. Several belong to groups or charities that aren’t easily recognizable, like United Firm Hands to Helping Inc. or N.J. Clipper Corp. One box does not name any organization, but it does include the message: “Distributing resources for the greater good.” A call to the phone lumber listed on the N.J. Clipper Corp. box was not returned. A call to the number on the United Firm Hands to Helping box takes callers to a recorded message directing them to call a second number. The second number is a phone sex line."

I agree, these days FreeCycle is a good way to go.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:35 PM

22,690 posts, read 21,741,083 times
I noticed this a few years ago. There were a couple of "name brand" bins in the Wal-Mart parking lot, then they morphed into a long row. None of the names on the new boxes sounded familiar to me. I always chose the AmVets drop off; I knew that name. Sadly, all of the boxes are gone from that location, though now I donate to the semi annual veterans pick-up or drop off at the Salvation Army.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:42 PM

1,289 posts, read 5,438,292 times
I assumed that this was true years ago. When I have clothes that I can no longer wear, I just give them to younger family members if they are not damaged. That way at least I know where they are going.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:44 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,790,806 times
Yes, known that for years, I only put things in the Salvation Army bin. Or call Amvets for pick up.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:00 PM

393 posts, read 953,741 times
OP
Our high school collects many items, including play-sets, car seats, pillows and such for Project Graduation.
If you wish, you may want to contact your local school system and enquire.

Regards
Sligo

Old 05-05-2009, 08:17 AM

7,780 posts, read 17,779,267 times
lol. We put about 200 lbs of clothes in one a few months ago when we moved. We even put in my wifes old fox fur coat lol

Old 05-05-2009, 08:48 AM

2,179 posts, read 5,979,006 times
I used to drop off my clothes and other items to the Salvation Army until I tried donating a bedroom set. The man on the line asked how old the set was (6 piece, 15 years old, traditional cherry, flawless condition), and then told me it was too old and not worth the effort to come get it. I was really surprised! (have you seen some of the furniture in a Salvation Army store? Filthy, beaten up, and very old).

I put it on Craig's List and got 400 for it. Now? I sell all my old clothes on eBay and make some money clearing out shirts and pants that are too big on me. No more donations to the SA, just to the AmVets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey