U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 11:43 AM

6,970 posts, read 12,581,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
You don't have to go south, just go west!
yeah, i've heard its "country" in northwest jersey. a friend of mine went to see some dog breeders in warren county and he was in absolute shock.

and the Cherry Hill Mall is no different than the Paramus Mall if you ask me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 11:47 AM

1,985 posts, read 4,866,656 times
Cherry Hill Mall is the oldest Mall east of the Mississippi and is undergoing a dramatic makeover. I believe Nordstrom just moved as an anchor store.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:52 AM

1,479 posts, read 1,886,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahrbeezer View Post
South Jersey is riddled with crime. The people are ignorant and the taxes are crazy. The school systems are the lowest in the nation. North Jersey is where it's at.
Kidding!!

Quote:
I live in S jersey, many, many generations of my family lived here. I have come to a point where I am shy to say I live in NJ. People associate NJ as the s--t hole like it is up north.
YMMV.

The "$h!+-holes" are generally located around the refineries and closer to NYC. the reason most have a bad opinion of NJ is because almost everyone who is not native gets to go through (Linden?) the refinery area near Newark Airport, or see the train depots out on the Parkway.

Most of NJ is boring suburbs, getting more rural as you go west (Oakland is a good "border town". Go over Skyline Drive to Ridgewood or, better yet, West Milford (known lovingly as "West Bumble-F" by some) and you will start to see you Adirondack inspired small towns.

Most of "true" Northern NJ is rather rural (northern Mahwah as an example. Go to Ramapo College if you doubt me).

Quote:
I use to live in a small town on the shore of southern NJ. When I was a kid, we didn't have police in our town. Now it's something like 80 officers. People from up north moved here in waves, attitudes and all. It's sickens me to see these people move down here and ruin the once farm riddled town.
It is not just Northern NJ. It is the fact that everyone wanted their McMansion. The only place they could build was on the farms. Surprisingly, counties like Bergen lost several farms to similar developments. Very sad.

As for having no cops, come on. You have no people you need no cops. Telling people to stay out isn't exactly as "friendly" as they say Southern NJ is supposed to be, now is it?

Quote:
The original south Jersey people are moving out of this state in a hurry. It's gotten so out of control down here now. Try to go somewhere on a weekend, NOT!!! Traffics lights on every corner.
OMG! You have been colonized! TRAFFIC LIGHTS!!! The HORROR!!!

Before you start complaining about little things like that, come on over to the NY metro area. Agreed, I do not like traffic lights either, but complaining about a few is nothing when you see even residential areas with one on practically every corner!

Quote:
You can't even take your dog for a walk in the woods anymore without fear of getting a ticket.
Well, pick up your dog poop then.

Quote:
This state is all about rules and restrictions. Peace of advice if your in southern NJ, don't mention your from north Jersey!!!!!!
Rules and restrictions are fine for people when they are the ones that have made them. When other people start making them, people resent others telling them what to do. It is quite common. But complaining about it like you are stuck in a Gulag (sp) is just silly. You need to get out a bit more mahr!!!!

Stop being so negative!

Old 05-06-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
I used to eat at a great Chinese place in Millburn and I've been to many other places that I enjoyed in NNJ and some that frankly sucked. But the ones I've been to that I liked are not any better - and might not be as good - as the places I go currently including a Thai place in Voorhees, King of Pizza in Cherry Hill, Braddocks Tavern in Medford, and 'The Pub' which is a landmark restaurant in Pennsauken.
Try Hoboken.

Pizza, Thai, Sushi, Malaysian, Indian, GENUINE Italian. You get an awful lot of good stuff.

The further you go into the suburbs/industrial park areas, the less good food you get. But places like Ridgewood have excellent town centers and some great food.

Hell, even Oakland has 6 pizzareas (or had) in a town of less than 20K. (I think it may be 30K now that they built the condos in the cub scout camp...)

Old 05-06-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
yeah, i've heard its "country" in northwest jersey. a friend of mine went to see some dog breeders in warren county and he was in absolute shock.

and the Cherry Hill Mall is no different than the Paramus Mall if you ask me

The Deleware Water Gap is like a different country.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:50 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,004,923 times
Quote:
I said sloppy eats which doesn't imply fine cuisine. I ate lunch in NNJ everyday for 8 years so my opinion is pretty valid. There are good restaurants and bad restaurants in both NNJ and SJ, however, I prefer the pizza and subs I get in the Philly area. NYC doesn't do cheesestreaks like they do in Philly, kinda silly to suggest otherwise. Food network did a special on where to get the best cheesesteaks in Philly.

I used to eat at a great Chinese place in Millburn and I've been to many other places that I enjoyed in NNJ and some that frankly sucked. But the ones I've been to that I liked are not any better - and might not be as good - as the places I go currently including a Thai place in Voorhees, King of Pizza in Cherry Hill, Braddocks Tavern in Medford, and 'The Pub' which is a landmark restaurant in Pennsauken.

If you like the pizza you get in South Jersey, then it's probably because you were raised on that style of pizza (which really isn't the way traditional pizza is made). So if you don't like North Jersey pizza, I'm guessing you don't like NY pizza? And you probably like Papa John's as well. It's no knock on you...if you were raised on fake pizza, you have learned to like it, that's all.

That's funny you mention North Jersey food...I have personally come across very FEW food venues in North NJ that are bad. The competition is too high up here...if a place sucks, it just doesn't stay in business. In many areas of South Jersey, there is much less competition so the bad places are allowed more leeway. It's just a matter of population and business competition.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:10 PM

1,057 posts, read 520,524 times
Quote:
The only areas of the shore that are expensive are the big money shore towns and property on or near water. Most of the inland towns like Toms River and others in Ocean and Altantic counties that are not that expensive.
Well, I live in Toms River and I live ON the water. I don't know where you're getting that "inland" thing from, but Barnegat Bay is in my backyard and it looks pretty damn coastal to me.

It's also pretty silly to think Ocean County isn't expensive - especially with our taxes here in Toms River. No matter where you go, the nicer the house/neighborhood the more expensive it will be, but I would say the most desirable places in Ocean County (as with everywhere else) are very expensive. I assume that wayyyy inland (we're talking 45 minutes to an hour) in places like Plumstead it's cheaper, but to be honest most O.C. people think those towns are in Burlington County anyway.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:26 PM

7,894 posts, read 8,383,651 times
Funny, I look at it in the same sort of way but the opposite perspective. NYC metro doesn't seem to fit the rest of the state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
North Jersey hater? Honestly south Jersey is barely NJ at all.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:59 PM

7,894 posts, read 8,383,651 times
Most of it's done, just went there today. Rather, most construction is done, just a few small things to be finished. I parked in the new parking garage attached to Nordstrom, which is very nice. Made a couple of purchases, had a bite to eat. It looks good!

Quote:
Cherry Hill Mall is the oldest Mall east of the Mississippi and is undergoing a dramatic makeover. I believe Nordstrom just moved as an anchor store.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:45 PM

1,578 posts, read 3,742,923 times
I was in Cape May and someone could of flew me there in a blindfold and told me I was in NC i'd believe them in a heartbeat.

That southern like accent was everywhere and the people were just in general a lot different than the people in North Jersey (different style, mannerism and just not as diverse)... And the build up was just a lot different also.
My aunt also mentioned, since she's originally from Ridgefield Park, that she doesn't like the rude rednecks she gets coming in the store at night drunk and obnoxious (she works at wawa, so you can imagine the people she see's and meets)

I might be opening a can of worms, but it's what i experienced and heard first hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey