Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2009, 05:34 PM

15 posts, read 47,325 times

Advertisements

We are moving to mcGuire this summer. At first i heard that the housing on base was old and small. So we have been looking at homes off base. but today i ran into someone who was stationed there not too long ago and she said the housing was huge and new. so is the base going thru some changes? what are the chances that we will be able to move into a nice new house on base? can anyone share some pictures of the base housing? or maybe a websote with pictures. i haven't found much about on base housing on line. i just know that it is privatize.
I very much appreciate your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 09:08 PM

1,369 posts, read 4,637,636 times
As you probably already know...McGuire is a super-base which also includes Ft. Dix Army and Lakehurst Navel.

Lots and I mean LOTS of new construction going on. They are tearing that place UP and putting in some pretty nice housing.

Problem is....not enough housing to sustain the population right now....However, because of the shortage, your BAH is very high here.

I have no pics to share, sorry. We are retired Air Force.

GL!

Shanny

Old 05-04-2009, 11:29 PM

thanks! someone sent me a private message with some links. the newer housing for enlisted is still attached. nice and new, but i'll still be able to hear my neighbors every time they sneeze! and like you said with construction going on we'd probably be put on a waiting list.

Old 05-05-2009, 05:57 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyCasa View Post
thanks! someone sent me a private message with some links. the newer housing for enlisted is still attached. nice and new, but i'll still be able to hear my neighbors every time they sneeze! and like you said with construction going on we'd probably be put on a waiting list.
Just moved out of the area.
From what I heard the new housing is pretty expensive.

Depending on what you make/want to spend, the Country Lakes section of Browns Mills is nice. The noise from the base is minimum. I've also lived in Presidential Lakes which was also nice but there is septic there while CL has city sewer with some wells.

Taxes are very cheap.
Schools aren't bad although some argue that they are.
I've had 2 kids there and have to say that if a child has an IEP the team is tops compared to what I'm dealing with now.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:35 PM

thanks roselvr
i have been looking at housing off base. my husband really does not want to live in military housing. i've heard so many mixed reviews about the schools. my kids are very young and at first i thought i might home school them, but now i'm undecided. lots of things to think about for sure!

Old 05-05-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyCasa View Post
thanks roselvr
i have been looking at housing off base. my husband really does not want to live in military housing. i've heard so many mixed reviews about the schools. my kids are very young and at first i thought i might home school them, but now i'm undecided. lots of things to think about for sure!

How young and how long do you plan to stay?

The lower schools my kids went to were very good. They are an Abbott District school, and when my daughter was there, and IMO spent the money pretty wisely. They had lots of computers for the kids, cameras and other teaching aides and taught the kids how to use them. They also did a lot of projects on the computer, teachers have web pages and kept them updated. Some subscribed to homework sites and all the teachers I dealt with were excellent at replying via email. One of the K-4 schools even had a garden club. My daughter was in Denbo which serves Country Lakes, my son went to Busansky which serves Presidential Lakes. I can't comment on knowing what Busansky is like now; I know kids that just got out of Denbo or Crichton (Country Lakes) & they had a good experience as well.

The township does a 3 and 4 year old program, grade K is a full day. There is busing

The middle school is typical where some kids have problems and others don't. Neither of my kids had problems.

The web site - Pemberton Township Schools - click on schools, you can see the web sites for each school.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:46 PM

thanks again roselvr
my kids are 2 and 1 but we want to stay at mcguire as long as we can. we are from the east coast and this base is closet to all of our family. yes it was the middle school and high school that i heard the worst things about. of course i am a firm believer that the parent is just as important as the teacher when it comes to a kids education.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:48 AM

17 posts, read 131,917 times
how faw is the amtrack station from base?

Old 05-06-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scagnetti View Post
how faw is the amtrack station from base?
Trenton I think which is a pretty decent hike - 30 minutes..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey