U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Old 05-04-2009, 07:05 PM
2 posts, read 3,745 times
Reputation: 10


Hi all,

My wife is living here on a green card from Poland. She obtained her Masters in English Theology there and was a teacher for 4 years. She has been in the states for 2 years and is looking to get her NJ state certification.

We took her university transcript to Montclair State, paid the fee, and they said she had a minimum of a BA. I know she must take the Praxis II test, but was wondering what the steps are. All of the documentation seems confusing and when you call the board of Ed. to get answers, you end up getting more questions! Anyone in the know who could provide some info would be great. Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 09:26 AM
24 posts, read 65,345 times
Reputation: 12
NJ is rather notorious for making it a difficult process to get your certificate. They make you jump through hoops. However, one thing I learned is that it is best to go directly to the county or state with your transcripts rather than to an individual college because the colleges will sometimes tell you that you need courses that you actually don't or they say something you have will not be accepted when it should be. I know this from my experience.

Hope it all works out for you and your wife.

One question - what is English Theology?
Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2009, 05:31 PM
Location: Toms River, NJ
1,106 posts, read 4,365,171 times
Reputation: 652
Your wife will have 2 options. In both cases she will be studying pedagogy.

First is to enter a teacher teacher certification program through a College/university the other is to go the Alternate Route. The former will provide her with the courses required to obtain certification. The latter does the same but in a less formal environment while you are already teaching.

Information on the Alternate Route can be found on most County College websites.

The Alternate Route requires having a job as a teacher and then completing the course work while you are teaching. Many districts do not hire teachers this way. But many do.

Right now, there is a huge pool of applicants for teaching positions. There is a smaller pool in Special Education and Math. There have been a few posts on here about how to get a job as a teacher even if you're already certified.

NJ Department of Education - Licensure & Credentials

Here is the state website for Teacher Credentials. It can be complicated, but it does give pretty extensive information.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top