Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2009, 02:12 PM

25 posts, read 186,876 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am in the market for new house. I like one house but after receiving survey, I find out that there is a "Drainage easement" within the property (approx 20 ft from back of the house). I has also notice a open drainage (perhaps storm drain) running across rear boundary and one side of the property along with "head wall" on one side of the property within lot.

picture of head wall as i seen at this property:

Headwall is also about 15 feet from side of the house within property.

This house has the full basement and its finished. will there be any problem because of "drainage easment & head wall" being inside back yard? I talk to the people living next door and they had a water up to 2 feet in their basement last year because their sump pump was failed to work. the sea elevation of this location is 78 feets based on google map. Entire developement is only 2 years old so there is not much history available except this guy who had water in his basement last year.

We really like the property but above reasons make me nervous about putting an offer on this house.

I will appreciate if anyone can share their knowledge regarding "drainage easment" within property and possibility of getting water in a basement.

Will these issue impact on price of the property in future?

thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 05:51 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,377,466 times
Well, if he had water in his basement, it's a good bet that the same would happen to yours if your pump stopped working. I really can't imagine having such a large drainage structure that close to the house- the amount of water that'll run through that thing in a decent rain storm isn't something I'd want to be anywhere near.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:01 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,341,370 times
A finished basement which will probably take on water at some point? What a mess that will be. Honestly, I would not buy that property. I wouldn't want to look at that big drainage pit in what was supposed to be my yard. You will probably have to sell this house some day. I doesn't look like a positive feature to me.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:58 AM

25 posts, read 186,876 times
Thanks guys. i was thinking the same. but house is nice so, decided to get peoples thoughts on this.
looks like it is risky to have this property.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:35 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,517,217 times
Many residential properties have drainage easements but they look nothing like that. I would not buy a property with that structure, looks more like a commercial drainage system built to accept sweepage from a large structure.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:24 PM

6 posts, read 33,305 times
You should call the township planner and engineering department to ask them about this easement. A drainage easement is supposed to take water away from the house and the houses should be graded such that water flows to the drainage easement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey