U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 10:42 AM

2,112 posts, read 4,719,339 times

Advertisements

There is Upper and Lower Vailsburg, divided by Sanford Avenue. IMO, precious little in Vailsburg could be described as "looks a lot nicer" even when compared to other Newark neighborhoods. S. Orange Avenue, the main commercial strip, is rife with drugs and prostitution. I was born and raised in Newark. Much of it is still dear to me despite the urban decay. But again, I would never suggest making Vailsburg home to anyone who has other options.

SL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 08:19 PM

857 posts, read 1,300,008 times
Saralee,
What do you know about vailsburg and it's influence (or lack thereof) on neighboring south orange? You've got some pretty nice neighborhoods - montrose and tuxedo park - right next door. How far down SO ave does it get really bad?

Old 04-09-2007, 10:51 PM

2,806 posts, read 11,930,743 times
I honestly don't think it affects South Orange that much. There are some people who wander across the town lines, but the feeling of those neighborhoods is like night and day. Once you cross over the Newark border on South Orange ave, everything starts getting crummy real quick.

Old 04-11-2007, 09:05 AM

3 posts, read 12,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
If you do decide on moving to Vailsburg just make sure to stay very far away from the neighborhood to the south of Fairmount cemetary and around West Side Park. If you drive down the side streets off of South Orange ave, drug dealers operate in a very open and brazen manner and strung out junkies walk the streets.
Thanks for the warning. Actually was pretty aware how dangerous that area is. Was looking more at the western most part of Upper Vailsburg. There seem to be some pretty nice homes in and around Eastern Parkway. Also dangerous area?

Old 04-11-2007, 09:58 AM

2,669 posts, read 3,673,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
I honestly don't think it affects South Orange that much. There are some people who wander across the town lines, but the feeling of those neighborhoods is like night and day. Once you cross over the Newark border on South Orange ave, everything starts getting crummy real quick.
You ain't kiddin

Old 04-12-2007, 12:26 PM

Location: Lived Large in Parsippany NJ - Lived Larger in Livingston, NJ -- Now Living Huge in Bethlehem PA
460 posts, read 1,511,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schlivo View Post
Keep reading in realtor websites about the "desirable" section of Newark called Upper Vailsburg. Anyone know anything about it? Is it really a good(safe) section of Newark or just a lot of realtor hype?
===========================

I have some friends who relocated to the Vailsburg section of Newark - they all bought new houses on South Munn Ave by the Vailsburg park.

Now the REALITY:
Its nice to have a house overlooking the park - looks pretty nice in the day time but at night all the bad elements come out to play. All the three new houses belonging to my friends were broken into within about a month when they moved in...funny thing is two have an ADT system and the other a Slomins shield setup yet they were still broken into...being that Bradley Court is on the other side of South Orange Ave where most of these bad elements reside one would have thought it will be nice for the cops to ran some fingerprints at least but nope nothing was done. Funny thing is they were all front door break-ins and yet none of the other neighbors saw anything aint that strange.

These houses did not come cheap either - $400K to $425K and there are still new developments...the realtor that sold the houses to my friends lives in Fairfield but is making a killing off each sale and if you drive down the area you will see there are at least four or five new houses being built on each block.

Secondly this strip is the dedicated stolen car drop off point - my friends complain about a stolen new car parked in front of their houses at least three times each week.

Tremont Ave is also around the corner and mind you Irvington is close as well...last time I heard, they were trying to build a school right in front of Bradley Court facing the Vailsburg park...which I think is insane.

Not sure which specific part of Vailsburg you had in mind but just do your homework/research real well before you take that dive...go down there and talk to the folks in the areas you might like the most if any and see what they have to say.

In my honest opinion = just a lot of realtor hype..!!!

Old 07-09-2007, 11:03 AM

2 posts, read 14,554 times
Default Valisburg

Iím looking for a 3 family home in Newark to live in for as short as 6 months or as long as 4 years. My decision is based on prices & what I can afford at this time, which is not much, so Iím looking into a multifamily to have most of my mortgage paid.

Iíve been hearing mixed messages about Valisburg. I drove by that section (in particular sunset ave right off of south orange ave) and the area looked decent. While I wouldnít describe it as suburban, it seemed okay. I drove by on a Saturday at 5pm. I wonder if at night itís a different story. I also saw online a house in the Roseville section (163 north 9th street). Would that be a better neighborhood?

I spent most of my life in JC, so Iím used to diverse city life and how you can have a decent area on one block but then the next block Ė its not so great. Iím looking for an area in Newark where I donít have to fear for my life, but I can deal with an ďun-perfectĒ area if I know that no one will bother me when I keep to myself. Iím of the mindset, hey, I donít bother you Ė donít bother me. I donít want to be consistently approached to buy drugs. But if I see a junkie walking by, if he leaves me alone, Iím cool with it. I wouldn't be walking around like a deer in the headlights, clucthing my purse and fearing ever encounter. Having that mindset, is it still safe enough or should I concentrate on the north section like Roseville? Thanks!

Old 04-28-2008, 06:26 PM

3 posts, read 14,373 times
Vailsburg is separated from the rest of Newark by the Garden State Parkway. The West Side neighborhood with Fairmount Cemetary and West Side Park are on the east side of the Parkway, Vailsburg and Ivy Hill on the west side. IMO, Vailsburg is a lot nicer than the West Side, but you still have to know where the pockets of crime are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey